Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre vs Corvara

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Busy trying to plan the family ski trip for Feb half term. I think I have narrowed it down to either Montgenevre or Corvara area and would be interested in opinions for a family holiday with two children aged 7 & 9 both skied before, happy on blue runs.

Are the resorts likely to be similarly busy over half term?

Will probably be flying into Milan then driving, are there any nasty mountain passes to cross over en-route?

Planning to rent a self catered apartment, are costs similar in the two resorts, any recomendations?

Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Turin is a better airport for Montegenevre and Bolgano for Corvara. Not been to either but looked into both and for a variety of reasons ended up going elsewhere. Both look like fine resorts, personally I prefer the look of Montegenvre for the blue cruising and links to other areas. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been to corvara but went to Montgenèvre over Easter in April, can strongly recommend it. Lots of cruise blues and reds, easy to get Around, lovely little town, and surprisingly quiet for Easter holidays.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a colossal quantity of lift-linked skiing available on the one pass from Corvara (the Sella Ronda and all its offshoots). Going there myself in January (Arabba).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having been to Arabba many times, either of the Venice airports is probably the best in terms of transfer if you haven't already booked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to these two a few times.

Corvara is part of Alta Badia which is one of the 12 resorts of Dolomites of Italy. Alta Badia is also one of the 4 corners of the biggest circular skiing loop in the world, called Sella Ronda, formed by Arabba, Canazei and Selva Gadena offering 510km piste and over 200 chairlifts. It is a must for any serious skier/boarder.

Montgenevre is one end of the Milky Way and the only French resort there. It is quite compact and good for a family as it is beginner-friendly. Being at one end of Milky Way, that has 400km piste, it is quite a challenge to go to other parts of the Domain which is not very well linked. Milky Way likes a big inverted "T". Being a French resort you will run into the half term crowd here. The French seldom ski outside their country so crowd is not normally a problem in Italian resorts at mid terms.

I suppose Montgenevre is suitable if your family is at an early stage of skiing whereas if the key members can do red runs then Dolomites is definitely more attractive.

Driving wise Montenevre is at the top of the mountain and the access from Italian side is OK but I have seen snow chained being used on bad weather.

The 4 resorts of Sella Ronda is linked by 4 mountain passes so it is still a bit of challenge. Having said that you will most likely go there via Sela Gardena first and the road is good. Among the 4 mountain passes Alta Badia to Arabba is the easiest and to Selva Gardena is second easiest.

Staying at Corvara and with a car you can sample two more nearby Dolomites resorts of Kronplatz and Cortina d'Ampezzso too. The latter is the Italian No. 1 resort.

Don't have any recommendation for accommodation but if you pick up a car without chain then staying at Selva Gardena is better for (a) the road to get there not demanding and (b) it is the biggest resort in Dolomites and its Alps D'Suisi is family friendly too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to both - I would say Corvara is better fro mountain restaurants, scenery amd sense of travel, but Montgenevre was better for easy (green and blue) runs (Corvara's not hard, but it is useful to know they can do easy reds to enjoy the Sella Ronda and the rest of the area)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, Corvara is one of my favourite places to ski, the scenery in the Dolomites is absolutely beautiful, the locals really friendly and great with kids. I was there at the end of last season and was again surprised by how cheap the mountain food was compared to France, Switzerland etc. We normally fly into Venice and then drive up through the mountains which is quite straight forward and the Italians are so efficient at keeping the roads clear we have never had a problem, however to avoid the main pass over the mountains there is an alternative but longer route available if the weather is really bad.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i think the two resorts are chalks and cheese !

Corvara, a largish bustling village has a 'jet-set' reputation (George Clooney is rumored to have a place there), with a Michelin starred resturant, it is expensive : San Cassiano down the road has TWO !!

Montgenevre (which is strung along the main road to Italy) is smaller, quieter and cheaper. French, with an 'Italian' ambience makes it probably more suitable to
a family (good nursery slopes, convenient for meeting up etc)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Corvara is a long drive along the Italian motorways from Milan. I did it once but never again. Imagine doing over 200km at 130 kpmh with the car behind you less than 2m away (so close you cannot see its headlights) and the one in front slightly further away; in the pouring rain then you will get the picture. I would suggest flying to Venice or Verona (or even Bergarmo). dsoutar, what is the other Venice airport? I only know Marco Polo.

The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
at the moment it looks like the flights to milan are the cheapest, so dont mind a slightly longer drive, as long as the roads aren't too bad/ access reliable in winter.

hmm decisions, decisions. the dolomite secenry looks amazing, but the accomadation in montgenevre looks to offer slighly better value, dilema!
thanks for all the info! very helpful, any other top tips?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've visited both Montgenevre and Corvara and all things being equal, I would go for Corvara every time, the sheer spectacular beauty of it's setting, the chic atmosphere and the variety of skiing on offer in the linked area swings it for me. Lots of blues in the immediate area for the young ones to play on, I'm sure they could tackle the easy reds on the Sella Ronda towards the end of the week. It's busy in Sella Ronda resorts in Feb, but nothing like French School Holidays in France, so check that out. I was in Montgenevre at the end of March and it was blissfully deserted, but then the Sella Ronda was the same in late March.

Innsbruck is definitely the most accessible airport for Corvara with no high passes to cross, except the Brenner motorway at 1300m. It's a long way from Milan, esp Malpensa. You would have to approach via Val Gardena and over the Gardena Pass at 2200m, which is usually kept open during winter, but can be closed during bad weather and for snow-clearing the morning after a heavy overnight fall.

Montgenevre is closest to Turin and sits at the top of a pass at 1800m, but this is a busy trans-alpine route that is kept open throughout winter. It's a long way over to Sansicario/Sestriere/Sauze so not sure if it's worth getting the full Milky Way pass, but the circuits linking Claviere are very enjoyable.

As for apartments, make sure they are near the piste or lifts, as some can be a ride away. Colfosco, San Cassiano and La Villa with its gondola are also good options. You can search on these listings, Alta Badia is name of the area:

http://www.suedtirol.info/en/Book-Your-Holiday/Search-Accomodations.html

http://www.altabadia.org/

http://www.alta-badia.org/en/hotel/

Some places charge per person which is great for couples, but not so good for families, others charge a fixed rate per apartment up to it's capacity.

Hope that helps
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just thought I'd throw this in...a snowy view of Corvara & Colfosco with the Sassongher looming behind:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:

Corvara, a largish bustling village has a 'jet-set' reputation (George Clooney is rumored to have a place there), with a Michelin starred resturant, it is expensive : San Cassiano down the road has TWO !!

eh? Corvara is pretty small. Yes there is a Michelin restaurant but there's other much cheaper options. I didn't find it particularly expensive (and the Michelin restp is much cheaper than in London or France wink )

I haven't been to Montgenevre but would highly recommend Corvara.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Corvara is a long drive along the Italian motorways from Milan. I did it once but never again. Imagine doing over 200km at 130 kpmh with the car behind you less than 2m away (so close you cannot see its headlights) and the one in front slightly further away; in the pouring rain then you will get the picture. I would suggest flying to Venice or Verona (or even Bergarmo). dsoutar, what is the other Venice airport? I only know Marco Polo.

The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous.

The other Venice airport is Treviso. I too, like luigi, would recommend the Sella Ronda area over Montgenvre having skied both several times. The Dolomites are on another scale scenery wise. Can't offer any advice on appartments I'm afraid as I've always stayed in hotels.

On tip you must make sure you think about is to avoid a diesel hire car. We had one a couple of years ago when it was very cold and despite putting additive in, the fuel froze. We ended up having to get the hire company to tow the car back and got a taxi back to the airport (which they paid for). It was all very fraught and we lost over half a day skiing to sort it out (which they didn't recompense us for). Thank goodness we had tried to use the car a couple of days before returning to the airport.
snow conditions
They are both great places and both have generally easy skiing. Both also have very good off-piste - some of it challenging. They are on opposite sides of Italy.

The closest airport to the Dolomites is Treviso - a bit north of Venice (see Ryanair for example). Venice itself is only a few minutes further. They are still 180km, nearly half on motorways - but much on smaller, winding roads: at least 2 1/2 hours drive). Milan would be quite a bit further.
The closest for Montgenevre is Turin it is nearly 100km to drive - most on a fast road so about an hour and a quarter.

It happens I will be skiing in both areas again this season. In Montgenevre again in early February and Arabba (also on the Sella Ronda ski circuit) in early March.
ski holidays
We went to Corvara during Easter 2012. It had been a dreadful season for snow and it was credit to their amazing snow making that there was snow. We skied through a golf course on a slither of man made snow whilst people were playing golf in summer clothing.
You can fly to Trieste (often cheaper than Treviso in winter) and not too far away.
Corvara is very spectacular. The Sella Ronda is the most scenic ski area in the world. Corvara has set itself up as a gastro resort (Check website)
If conditions are right, the trip u the huge cable car and lond descent to the horse drawn ski lift on the Can Cassiano site is a must.

Corvara is a real gem but a long way from Milan. Best airport is proably innsbruck.

Have driven through Montgenevre but never stopped to ski.

If you're flying to Milan then Pila is an unspoilt gem
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
We went to Corvara during Easter 2012. It had been a dreadful season for snow and it was credit to their amazing snow making that there was snow. We skied through a golf course on a slither of man made snow whilst people were playing golf in summer clothing.
You can fly to Trieste (often cheaper than Treviso in winter) and not too far away.
Corvara is very spectacular. The Sella Ronda is the most scenic ski area in the world. Corvara has set itself up as a gastro resort (Check website)
If conditions are right, the trip u the huge cable car and lond descent to the horse drawn ski lift on the Can Cassiano site is a must.

Corvara is a real gem but a long way from Milan. Best airport is proably innsbruck.

Have driven through Montgenevre but never stopped to ski.

At least an hour longer to get to Corvara from Trieste. Any saving from a cheaper flight would soon be gone by the extra travelling time and cost
snow conditions
It all depends on how many there are of you and the difference in flights at the time. Trieste was more convenient flight times and a lot cheaper for us. With four in a hire car the extra cost was not much. Bolzano is teh ideal airport for teh dolomites but, unfortunately, no UK direct flights, as yet. The other airport that does cheap flights in teh sli season in winter is Cuneo Aples. It's only a short drive up to Turin on the Autoroutes and the flights are often half the price of Turin or Milan. Ryanair fly there.

A resort that is close to Treviso and Trieste is Civetta. Not the highest in the Dolomites, or the biggest but absolutely stunning place. The long runs down to Alleghe are up there with anything I 've ever skied for pure enjoyment.
latest report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Although Torino airport would be quicker: motorway pretty well all the way until the last climb to the resort. (Some good and snow secure beginner's runs too.) Or stay in the town below and take the fast gondola up, to take advantage of all the local amenities. For a suitable liquid bribe I'd even tell you my local pizzeria and wine bar..Happy With a car you could also take in a couple of other resorts, and again, some lovely little places with great skiing and eating (although to be honest, with the crisis in the Italian economy I usually take my own flapjacks!).
ski holidays
Quote:

although to be honest, with the crisis in the Italian economy I usually take my own flapjacks!

fluter, is that because you are hard up or because the standard of the restaurants has slipped?
snow report
Hard up! Due to the crisis I've lost work in state schools, and just want to take it a bit carefully. The food's still fine, and judging from the comments I've seen, still a lot cheaper than in France. A big warming dish of polenta concia (with local cheese) will be €8/9 and just perfect for those cold days, a large pizza in town €6/7/8 depending on topping. Don't worry about the food, the locals are still demanding when it comes to quality!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy