Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lunch stops in Lech/Zurs/Oberlech/Zug

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.

We are off to Lech w/c 16 Dec - and none of the 14 us have been there before, and some ( me and my family ) have never skied in Austria . I would be grateful for any suggestions for lunch stops. Also my daughters are vegetarian so any info as to veggie food would be appreciated.

Also I am confused as to the grooming or not of the ski routes - especially the Madloch down to Zug route - does the lift co post up what has been pisted or do you just go and look ? This is important for Mrs A who after snapping each ACL now avoids moguls and off piste.

Thanks everyone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Itineraries (dotted on the map) are marked and avalanche patrolled but not groomed. I think Madloch to Zug is one of those but I'm not very up to date (I think I remember it as off-piste when I was young).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alltnaha, Madloch to Zug is normally unpisted but then sometimes they bash bits of it... rather odd. It also gets heavily skied so try to get there early - get the 7 bus to Zurs from Lech and then hop up the chairs from there. The gradient is pretty easy but I doubt Mrs A will like it if she avoids off piste

Can't help with lunch - breakfast was so deleicious and enormous I wasn't hungry until tea time Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alltnaha, last time I was based in Lech we had to come back down to the village to get something to eat or arrange the day so we were in one of the other areas (Zurs/Stuben) for a lunch stop. I remember a place above Zug at the top of the Zugerbahn (Balme something or other) we used that a couple of times. But in general things were either conspicous by their absence or too expensive to comtemplate. We ate a couple of times at the Trittbahn restaurant and also in the Schröfli Alm in zurs. On the whole the further we skied away from Lech the more reasonable the lunch time prices! Ulmerhütte was my most regular stops though and is still one of my favourites.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 15-10-12 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alltnaha wrote:
Also my daughters are vegetarian so any info as to veggie food would be appreciated.

Noodle soup? Plum dumplings? (probably both contain animal extracts so better not tell them). Austrians aren't generally big on vegi cusine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, The bouliion they use as a base for all their soups is usually beef based, even the vegetable stock used in the vegetable soups has some animal products in it.

Best bets for vegetarians are the Folienkartoffeln, with sour cream (Sauerrahmen) and salads. There are cheese-based dishes, like Kasespätzle (also called Käs'nocken) but make sure you check there is aboslutely no meat (Speck for example) included. If the girls are vegan then they have probably lucked out to be honest and will have a week of veggies and maybe some tofu if they hit lucky.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alltnaha, Best veggie option may be getting an egg mayo sarnie in the Spar in the village
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,
For lunch in Lech/Zurs, places I have liked for lunch include the KreigerAlp accessed via the Kreigerhorn or Hasensprung lifts. I didn't pay too much attention to veggie options - the two of us shared the deer sausage with saurkraut and a bowl of gulaschesoup. The mid-mountain places at Zurs are good (Seekopf and TrittAlm).
A hidden gem is the cafeteria style (carry trays through a serving area) place inside behind the outdoor bar just below the top station of the Oberlech tram.

About the Madloch to Zug route - although officially "routes" are not groomed, some are. The Madloch/Zug is groomed pretty much every night, but because the White Ring is promoted as a Thing To Do, it gets a lot of traffic and sections of it get bumped up by mid-day . Best done early in the day. Depending on early season snowfall, it may not be open in mid-December.

Enjoy your trip - R.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alltnaha, The restaurants at the Goldener Berg and the Burg in Oberlech are really good but do get busy so its best to book. I think your daughters may struggle a bit and may end up eating a lot of Kaiserschmarrn (Austrian pancakes with plum sauce), as a veggie friend once did in Austria....oh and salads. But you'll love Lech, have a great time. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swissie, Those are both hotel restaurants so as well as having to make a reservation to ensure service they are not exactly cheap either. Typical self-service mountain restaurants as found everywhere else are as rare as hen's teeth in Lech or Oberlech! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
palmenalpe at the top of zug is fantastic ,music ,beer and the ribs are great also pizza .views are outstanding from the balcony
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Burg hotel in OberLech has both a pricey waiter/waitress restaurant as well as a self-service restaurant. If you enter from the bar behind the ski racks in the home page picture at www.burghotel-lech.com/en/home.aspx (right below where the tram is hanging in the picture), once inside, the self-service restaurant is to the left, stairs go down straight ahead to the WC, or turn right to the expensive restaurant.
Ski soon. - R.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, I didn't say they were cheap, but from our experience we had good lunches there. I am aware that that self service restaurants a a rarity in Lech. The Rud-Alpe could be worth a try.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I'll find them on the piste map . Seems it may be more difficult than France for veggies.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alltnaha wrote:
Morning all.

We are off to Lech w/c 16 Dec - and none of the 14 us have been there before, and some ( me and my family ) have never skied in Austria . I would be grateful for any suggestions for lunch stops. Also my daughters are vegetarian so any info as to veggie food would be appreciated.

Above Zug - Balmalp http://www.balmalp.at/ (very good, lovely terrace - but not in middle of December)
Above Zurs (between Zurs and Zug) -Seekopfrestaurant (usually a lot of people)
Above Zurs (on the piste from Lech to Zurs)- restaurant near Trittalp cable car (not marked at the ski-map!!!!).
In Oberlech - http://www.burghotel-lech.com/en/burg/kriegeralpe.aspx
In Lech, in the end of ski-route from Zurs - http://romantikhotelkrone-lech.at/en/dining/krone-stuben-parlour.php
In Stuben - very good and reasonable price -lunch in Hotel Post http://www.hotelpost.com/stuben-arlberg/Article/ID/183/Session/1-dXUVK3Hf-1-IP/Restaurant.htm
The ski-route from Madloch to Lech is more easy compare with ski-route from Madloch to Zug. But, from my point of view, both of them are easy and usually without mogul.
latest report
Oh you lucky lucky person! alltnaha,
You are going to eat your way around Zurs Zug & Lech and probably go to St Christoph as well.

Can I be your guide?

I'm afraid the girls will have to survive on Kaisersmarm (excuse my spelling .. but they'll love it) ... Its messed up pancakes and jam my kids loved it ..
When they get tired of that there is the Germknudel ... a sort of low calorie Austrian dumpling thing about a 40DD, you get it either with custard or hot honey sauce.

There are just so many good places to eat on the mountain ....
A must is the Hospitz at St Christoph, Zurs itself is more about hotels in the village than mountain restaurants.
Get in the restaurants early for lunch in Oberlech and get a good spot in the sun.

If your dear wife is not a strong skier don't bother taking her down the Madloch ...
She will scream "I never ever want to come skiing with you ever again!"
The sulk will probably last till you've purchased something in the shop called Stoltz ... I think the Stoltz family probably own the Alberg
you can be assured its not a pound shop!

Get her instead to take a days lessons in Lech, the instructors understand the importance of chocolate & long lunches. And know which are the important restaurants.

I doubt if this helps, but you'll work it out and I'm just jealous!
latest report
Einari78 wrote
... The ski-route from Madloch to Lech is more easy compare with ski-route from Madloch to Zug. But, from my point of view, both of them are easy and usually without mogul

The Madloch/Zug and Madloch/Lech routes have the first 3/4 in common. When they split, the route to Zug is made snow and has more traffic (because that is the White Ring route), and is often hardpack made snow worn down by traffic. The route to Lech, which usually opens later is natural snow only, but has a few sections that a low intermediate may way to sideslip down, but they are short. My intermediate skiing partner prefers the route to Lech.
snow report
DrLawn, Not a hot honey sauce, it is pure melted butter with poppy seeds and is gross. That's why you see most Austrians and Germans eating it with vanilla sauce (custard to thee and me). My first one was with the melted butter and it took me another 5 or 6 years to try it again. I only ate it because an Austrian friend bought it for me and it would have been impolite not too. They ordered it with Vanille-soß, thank God.
ski holidays
randyw wrote:

The Madloch/Zug and Madloch/Lech routes have the first 3/4 in common. When they split, the route to Zug is made snow and has more traffic

I agree.
snow report
Madloch to Zug is groomed every day. It does however get quite bumpy, especially if the snow is dry, because of the traffic. It is pure groomers first thing in the morning, but it can be damn cold as most of it is in shadow.
snow report
FYI

Madloch to Zug is quite often NOT open that early in the season due to lack of snowpack. The top section is very rocky it needs a good 1 metre of snow.

Couple of Lunch stop tips in Zug.

These are nice places to chill, they do not get the usual crowds (best to call ahead), although at that time of year it will not be busy.

http://www.rotewand.com/en/dining-a-drinks/terrasse.html

http://www.auerhahn.co.at/
ski holidays
stanton, Liking the auerhahn...........where is it? No map on their site. Ski in/ out lunch stop on Madloch down to Zug or over the river?
latest report
"Die Zugerbergbahn, welche direkt ins Skigebiet führt, ist wenige hundert Meter entfernt, und mit dem gratis Busservice, und der Haltestelle vor dem Haus leicht erreichbar. Unseren Gästen stehen außerdem ausreichend Parkplätze für PKW zur Verfügung. "

From the Auerhahn web site: The Zugerbahn( lift) is a few hundred metres from us and is easily reached with the free bus service. The bus stop is right in front of our house (hotel). Additionally, we have plenty of parking spaces for the use of our guests.

My reading of the web site is that it is in the village area at the end of the 3 km footpath from Lech. On Google maps it shows up as being very near the Hotel Hartenfels at the far end of the hamlet. Don't know where that puts it in relation to the Madloch route though. Probably at the end of the village a bit of a hike rather than en route.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
stanton, Liking the auerhahn...........where is it? No map on their site. Ski in/ out lunch stop on Madloch down to Zug or over the river?

I suppose, it is in the end of the village Zug, near ski route 48 Zurertobel.
On the road.
latest report
alltnaha, For lunch ............. RudAlp just above Lech. Usually has a large wooden "Heart" by the piste. You can spot the restaurant on the Lech webcams on www.snoweye.com
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Einari78, Thanks folks, sometimes ski in from that back side so that looks like a good shout, I'll look out for it.

A recommendation from me for lunch in Oberlech is Hotel Cresta, the last hotel on right as you drop down out of the village just before the trees and you hang a right for Lech. Great terrace and inside Stube if it's bad weather. Reasonable prices (for Lech/ Oberlech anyway) and great food, they do a mean Tirolergroesstl, and Kaisersschmarren. Cheeseburger pretty awesome too! I also like the place at the top of the 2 person Zug chair, good coffee stop after the Zurs runs and schlepp down to Zug from top of Madloch, ready for a re-charge by the time you get there (and v nice toilets too). Veggies will be able to eat the Kasespaetzle (cheese and onion noodles, v nice, and there's always other stuff, stir frys etc).

alltnaha, I wouldn't worry too much about the run down from Madloch to Zug, I'm sure it'll have adequate snow cover when you are there, and it's well within the capabilities of anyone who can ski a red piste. I like doing it early following a good dump of overnight powder, it's in the shade early and can be very cold but well worth it, the snow is usually fantastic. Very few moguls on it, and generally pretty fast slope, level of skiers on it is good to top end so they keep moving. Get plenty of speed up for the flat schuss 1/3 way down, and just keep smiling, sit on the terrace at Cresta as above and see where you came down! Brilliant run, I just love it. There's plenty of options off it for OP if you are that way inclined, gully to the left just before the schuss (left at the corner), or keep right and do the main slab above the flat bit (before the icy sections at the bottom).......PM me if you want more info.

One more tip - when you get to Zursersee don't go straight over the lake and up Madloch, go up Muggengratbahn and have a run down the back and then a big loop back to Zurs, well worth it, again lots of OP up there. Then once up Madloch before going over the back to Zurs try some of the runs pisted and OP down to Zurs. IMO these are some of the best runs about and are usually deserted. Happy days!

I'll be there with OH and friends arriving 22nd, save some snow for us! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Don't forget to go up the Trittkopf Bahn and ski back into Zurs. Usually great snow as it's north facing. Lovely OP from above there.
And as a treat, stop off at one of the hotels that have a champagne-bar on their terrace. Cool
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
I also like the place at the top of the 2 person Zug chair, good coffee stop after the Zurs runs and schlepp down to Zug from top of Madloch, ready for a re-charge by the time you get there (and v nice toilets too). Veggies will be able to eat the Kasespaetzle (cheese and onion noodles, v nice, and there's always other stuff, stir frys etc).

It is this place
Above Zug - Balmalp http://www.balmalp.at/ (very good, lovely terrace - but not in middle of December)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Samerberg Sue,
I stand corrected on the Germknodel then .. I always thought it was a honey sauce.
I must have tried them sometime .... perhaps the Jagemiester messed up my taste buds.
I only suggested it as a tip for the young veggies.

Anyway I'm still very Jealous of alltnaha, eating his was around the tastier bits of the Voralberg.

Is there a thread about Austrian alcoholic concoctions that are found in the Valuga area ...
such as "Glacier Water" and "Rubber Death"?
ski holidays
Thanks again all I reckon I will have to have 3 lunches a day .b]Markymark29[/b], some one else recommended the Muggengratbahn , sounds v good.
snow report
alltnaha wrote:
Thanks again all I reckon I will have to have 3 lunches a day .b]Markymark29[/b], some one else recommended the Muggengratbahn , sounds v good.

Of course, I recommend Razz
If you are lucky you can get pictures like this.
[/img][url]
[/url]
ski holidays
alltnaha, Its more than v good, its excellent wink

Another recommendation............if you are dropping down into St Christoph for lunch anytime a great place to eat is Hotel Maiensee, 4* very smart hotel but restaurant open to non-residents. Ski almost to the lift, and where you cross the little road the hotel is on the right, great food, all freshly cooked, really relaxed place and they do veggie options like Kasespaetzle, best Tirolergroestle I have ever had too, excellent chicken salads too. Great place and never busy, always get a table, nice terrace too.
ski holidays
Einari78, Yup, fantastic.
latest report
I think everything has been covered. I hope you get to do the White Ring, it is early in the season and may not be open. The Balmalp above Zug is a convenient place to stop for Lunch after the excitement of the run down into Zug. If you find yoursel at Zurs at lunchtime, the SeekopI self service Restaurant at the top of the chairlift is good value.
I usually start the ring from Zurs so I am at Oberlech for lunch; I have food, a beer and sunbathe at Petersboden.
If you want a treat; the Kriegeralpe above Oberlech is full of character, Goldener Berg serves excellent food.
If you avoid the swanky places in Lech I think the prices are reasonable for the quality, cheaper than the big resort in France.
Sorry, I don't know about vegetarian food.
Peterboden is sheltered and seems to get more than its fair share of sun even in December; perhaps I have just been lucky. Soak up the atmosphere, it feels very decadent with crowds of posh types (and me) taking a leisurely lunch.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy