Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nearest resort for short break

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have a colleague at work who is looking to take his wife away for a few days for their 25th anniversary, however, she doesn't want to ski, she just wants to spend a few days in a small village (ideally French) where she can get up in the morning and have snow on the ground, sort of a 'picture postcard' type of place. their anniversary is on Dec 6th which means it needs to be reasonably high but not one of the newer uglier resorts... ideas welcome, also, he wants to drive to the resort so they can visit other places en route, cheers, Tony
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TEECEE, not that many resorts open that early if he is planning on going to France, although the higher uglier ones will be. Somewhere like Megeve would be ideal if it is open though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TEECEE, I'd agree with Hells Bells, very few French resorts will be open then, and the ones that are open are high and purpose built. More chance of finding what he is looking for in Austria, I'd say. There are some places with nice Christmas market-type things. Megeve will be largely closed, and rather gloomy, even if there is a bit of snow around. Just as likely, if not more likely, to be raining down that low.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about Scandinavia?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And rain does not make for a romantic break.
We celebrated our anniversary in September with a drive through France stopping at hotels and Michelin restaurants on the way, which is a fabulous way to do it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guaranteed snow on the ground in the village is pretty hard to guarantee (outside the high purpose-built ski factories - but are usually pretty hideous). You could try Neustift in Austria - good snow on the Stubai glacier, and the Sporthotel is lovely, would be a great place for a romantic anniversary. The wellness area/spa is also gorgeous (and fairly extensive), she she can have a nice time relaxing while he skis, and the Christmas markets in Innsbruck (think they'll be on by then) will be worth a visit in the evening.

Also consider Ischgl, it's pretty good for snow at that time of the year, and won't be in apres-mode by then, so will be quiet and pretty.

From what I hear of it, Zermatt would likely fit the bill too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Ribenarockstar is on to a good thing with Scandinavia, Are Sweden is a favourite of mine, overlooks the frozen lake, husky sleds, snowmobiles, spa facilities, zip wires and a more alpine feel to the center of town than many scandi resorts.
Easy access from Trondheim airport in Norway, take the train direct to Are. Do stock up on duty free spirits at the airport but the price of a pint is no worse than the major French resorts. Its not high but the snow is reliable there from what I have experienced. They have started getting some at the top of Areskuten down as far as the vm8 lift currently so the base is beginning to build for the season.
If you want any info PM me, I've clocked up a bit of local knowledge over the last few years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Murren? Scenery is spectacular snow or not, nice hotels, nice restaurants, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Zermatt, Switzerland;
2. Aspen, USA;
3. Ruka, Finland.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it isn't a silly question, why does he want to focus their wedding anniversary break on something his wife doesn't want to do? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, a good point.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the wife's idea, she has some sort of romantic vision of a chalet in the snow, she's never skied and doesn't want to, crazy I know..
The husband asked my advice as I did a season 2 years ago but that was in Le Praz which at 1300M is a bit too low for reliable snow in December....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about somewhere with a pedestrian cable car/gondola to get high enough to get some pics with guaranteed snow that time of year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How about somewhere with a pedestrian cable car/gondola to get high enough to get some pics with guaranteed snow that time of year?

plenty of those, but it doesn't sound like what she's after. There was a recent thread on Finland, and some cosy romantic log cabins, which sounded just the thing. Driving there is out of the question, realistically, but it sounded as though there were a lot of fun activities, other than skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Again not France but Saas Fee has a good chance of snow at the village level by then, guaranteed higher up and is picture postcard pretty which sounds like what is being looked for. Non skier friendly lifts for getting up to the snow too.
snow report
TEECEE, Leave it until late November and see how the snow is panning out. Availability of accommodation won't be a problem then, and if everywhere's white over, virtually any small, pretty, Austrian village (and no doubt a few French and Swiss ones) would fit the bill. She sounds like a romantic, so a Sound of Music tour of the old town of Salzburg seems to be called for.

If, heaven forbid, the Alps are still green, a shortlist of high, snowsure resorts would be useful. I agree about Zermatt - the Matterhorn and horse-drawn sleighs - how picture postcard can you get? (Although much pricier than the Austrian option and doesn't really fit with the wanting to drive and visit other places).

Places worth visiting en route to the Austrian Alps (700 miles/10 hours from Calais) include Rheims and Strasbourg. Alastair Sawday can no doubt advise on some suitably romantic places to stay en route.
latest report
dec
Quote:

if everywhere's white over, virtually any small, pretty, Austrian village (and no doubt a few French and Swiss ones) would fit the bill.

Even if there's plenty of snow most French resorts, especially the small pretty ones, will still be closed. The same might apply to small Austrian ones. Alpbach, for example, which is very pretty and romantic, seems to be opening 14/15 December.

Quote:

Places worth visiting en route to the Austrian Alps (700 miles/10 hours from Calais) include Rheims and Strasbourg

I don't think I'd drive Calais to Salzburg via Reims.
snow report
pam w, [quote]
The same might apply to small Austrian ones
[/quote
I haven't checked on Alpbach (which certainly springs to mind) but resorts like Zell am See, Kaprun, Leogang, Saalbach, Hinterglemm open at the end of November.
Come to think of it (being of a romantic disposition), how about the Erlhof at Zell am See? Here's an extract from its history, copied from its website:
The Erlhof was built around the year 1050. It is one of oldest settlements on Lake Zell am See. In the Salzburg archives, Erlhof is first mentioned in 1137. On November 8, 1151 the Burggraf Hartnid bequeathed the lake-side estate to the Monastery of St. Peter after the death of his beloved wife.
1648 1648 Purchased by Christof Freiherr von Khuen – Belasy
1692 Georg Dietrich Khuen – Belasy.
1712 Vinzenz Auer.
1741 Ruep Scheiber.
1782 Johann Herzog.
1902 Agathe Whitehead, née Grafin Breuner, inherits the estate. Rittmeister Georg von Trapp marries a Whitehead daughter and so came the famous von Trapp singing family to Thumersbach/Erlhof, where they maintained a summer holiday residence until 1935. Since 1974, the estate has been owned by Hans Michel Piëch.
In 1976, after extensive renovations, the Erlhof was rebuilt into a modern yet traditional country hotel.

Quote:

I don't think I'd drive Calais to Salzburg via Reims.

We always have - according to the Michelin route-planner, the French route Via Metz is the quickest. Haven't tried the alternatives though.
ski holidays
Chamonix can be a good option! It is close to Geneva - and there are plenty of nice places nearby to visit (Annecy, Yvoire, Montreux...) and it has year around skiing. You might not get snow on the ground but there will be plenty around.

It is also a town with great hotels, restaurants and shops... And it's in France.. Smile
snow report
Another vote for Zermatt (other than it being Swiss rather than French), but a lengthy drive for a long weekend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy