Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit and one big guy

Poster: A snowHead
I have ridden some dynafit speeds for the last 8 years. I love them but just bought some new skis and wondered given I'm riding bigger hills but also want brakes for when I hoon the piste with friends if I should be getting some radicals (DIN10) or vertical FT (DIN12). I have never had a problem with the speeds but I do weigh 105k+ and I wonder if the extra two Din will give me a little more reassurance on the slope. I hear lots of people just take off the carbon bit form the verticals anyway which surely makes them a DIN 10 again.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you mean the piece of fiberglass reinforced plastic with the text 'High Torque' printed on it on the vertical FT12, I have taken that off as well from the front part of the binding. To my idea it just adds nothing (not even a lot of weight, you're right), but definitely no resistance to torsion.
I suppose that it is not really different on the radicals, although the construction between the front part and the rear looks a bit sturdier on these. As it is not a continuous structure it probably won't do much against torque.
To my idea taking away part of this 'High Torque' structure doesn't influence the DIN rating, but an expert on bindings could shed a more informed light on that.

I think this is my first post on here, after about two years of 'reading only'. It has been a pleasure hanging around Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 14-10-12 10:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't but those bindings "Vert FT" on wide skis with stiff boots. Snaptastic, if you must then add the Dynafit Accessory wings to go unter the toe arms.
this binding will leave their portfolio next winter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.wildsnow.com/4371/dynafit-breakage-ft-to/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH10, thats a worrying one.

I have experienced two problems with dynafits myself. The first was a mounting problem where I ripped out the front binding from the toe on a fairly mundane pisted run last season, seems the tech did not really know what he was doing. The second time I was kiting in Greenland and hit a hard pack of snow at around 40km with a sledge behind me, the rear piece released and ripped off the metal heel piece on my boot, both letting the ski fly off on the ice and also nearly ending my expedition. Luckily my leg was ok, the binding was repairable (it appears the bottom adjustable plate had snapped) and miraculously we found the ski and metal heel plate.

Out of interest is there anywhere in the UK to buy these heel bits for the boots or does someone have a spare one that I could buy off them?

I would go for the radical FT's but they are a little out of my price range so I think I'll get the radical ST's instead as they look like a wider build at the toe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sipmly put, if you're running a ski more than 110mm then you need to take the hit, or look at the new Plum XL, abeit it has no brake.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bridge section on the Radical and Vertical FTs is supposed to reduce ski flex which should in turn make it harder to have some kinds of vertical pre-release. It has zero effect on release values. You'd probably do better getting a stiffer ski.

If you get the heel pieces mounted with inserts, you can always swap em out for some Plum guide heels later if you find the STs are pre-releasing on you (and for ease of field-replacement of broken components!). Dynafits are most assurely not made for hooning the pistes. If you find yourself doing that a lot, you might consider using inserts or swap plates to let you exchange the expensive dynafits with some cheaper and substantially more robust alpine bindings for piste days.

If you've ripped the little metal bit out of the heel of your boots, I'd be speaking to the boot manufacturer. Not all heel and toe retention bits are the same; some manufacturers build their own and those probably won't be interchangeable with official dynafit parts or whatever. If you ripped something out of your boots though, I'd be worried about structural damage which would make it more likely for them to rip out again in future.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^
Dynafits might not be made for 'hooning the pistes' and if that's a catch-all for jumps & sliding rails in the park then yeah, probably best avoid. But I use FT12's (with toe-wing inserts) for piste, powder, touring and gully bashing and put more faith in them than I'd ever need to with Alpine bindings. But then again I'm a wee runt. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The old 'bridge' was purely cosmetic. Not seen the new one so cannot tell you if it actually does anything more than look a bit cooler.

moffatross, I'd not want to use them in the park purely from the perspective of the release not being as good as alpine bindings.

Here's some video evidence that they'll definitely stand up to more abuse than most people think:
http://vimeo.com/50167777
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is interesting, I have literally spent the day mounting some sollyfit plates so I can swap in and out for listed/touring days. Great minds think alike!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the comments
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross wrote:
^
Dynafits might not be made for 'hooning the pistes' and if that's a catch-all for jumps & sliding rails in the park then yeah, probably best avoid. But I use FT12's (with toe-wing inserts) for piste, powder, touring and gully bashing and put more faith in them than I'd ever need to with Alpine bindings. But then again I'm a wee runt. wink

+1 and I'm 95 kg soaking wet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh wrote:
Here's some video evidence that they'll definitely stand up to more abuse than most people think:

Yeah, Hoji often gets wheeled out for "How robust are dynafits?" type questions. Thing is, he's an improbably talented skiier; he's very smooth and very well balanced. Oh, and I dunno if you believe Wikipedia, but he's also apparently 5ft8 and 150lbs. Just sayin' wink

Anyway, that said:
Canada Pow from Nick Madison
http://vimeo.com/26853281 is also a nice little video of a guy skiing moderately hard on dynafits. And someone other than Mr. Hjorleifson for a change!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ps, I'm 100kg and drop some big drops with my current speed TFT's wound all the way up to a mere 10.....they have always served me well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One day people will release that Dynafit is actually stronger, tougher and more durable than any other touring binding...
Simply better by every single metric (lighter weight, ski better, low stack height, bomb proof) - plus they break less.
Being subjective the only downside(s) are lack of step in capability, require boots with inserts, and they aren't DIN rated.
snow conditions
Serriadh, You'll notice in there some big drops by guys who aren't Hoji also skiing on Dynafits. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy