Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg day trip on final day of ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon / evening

we have just booked our ski holiday to ski welt for the 5th january next year..............I was getting bored at work Toofy Grin

However our flight back home is not till 6pm.

The TO offers a day trip around salzburg on the final saturday for £22/person, and I was wondering if it was worth it.

They apparently drop us off somewhere, keep the suitcases on the coach for the day, then after we have spent a few hours there take us to the airport.

Or should I just potter around the local resorts in the area, I assume the ski bus will shuttle us around, and have a leisurely lunch somewhere.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kiteman69, Welcome to Snowheads. Where are you going to ski? What time would your pick up be otherwise (assume transfers are included).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey up

we are going to Ellmau.............it looks like a nice easy resort for my wife, but enough to keep me busy during the day.

If the flight is at 6 I assume we will be being picked up around 2pm (1 1/2 transfer & 2 1/2 waiting in the airport)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salzburg's a nice city (most of it, anyway), but I certainly wouldn't choose to spend a day there rather than skiing!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was mulling it over, but I thought I could have a nice couple of beers for that price and still have change for the chip shop Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can't ski on the Saturday I'd go for it. The old town is lovely.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is the £22 for?
The old town is 10min from the airport.
So I guess it is an early transfer?...
It is lovelly though and very choccy box in the winter around that time of year (I think the markets are still open).
But for £22 you may be able to add another day to your ski pass!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only problem with adding another day, or 1/2 day, to my lift pass, is knowing my luck,

on the very last run of the morning, on the easiest slope of the resort, some border will come and wipe me out taking my dodgy knee with me.

As for the christmas markets, if it is anything like the UK, they will be advertised as a "genuine British xmas market" and some chav will be trying to sell me warm eels and stella for 10Euro each rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
What is the £22 for? The (Salzburg) old town is 10min from the airport

Maybe because the flight home's from Munich? Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kiteman69 wrote:
... some border will come and wipe me out taking my dodgy knee with me.

It's very near Germany, but not that close wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

As for the christmas markets, if it is anything like the UK, they will be advertised as a "genuine British xmas market" and some chav will be trying to sell me warm eels and stella for 10Euro each

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=599&q=salzburg+xmas+market&oq=salzburg+xmas+market&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24.1364.4832.0.4938.20.8.0.12.12.0.136.755.6j2.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.GY0w_HkB-0c

maybe?....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax, he's going home on January 5th! Laughing Laughing

Loads to do but if you are flying from Salzburg there is no need to pay the extra £22. Go to the central railway station use the left luggage lockers then take a tram (Partner day ticket costs peanuts and you can use all the trams and buses) to the old town. Have a wander around it is worth it. Then go into Café Tomasalli on the Alte Markt and have a proper cup of coffee and some glorious cake in one of the oldest coffee houses in Austria. Mosey along Gertreidegasse and gawp at the old architecture and the medieval shop signs, try to spot McDonalds, it ain't that obvious until you smell it! At the far end call into Peter Sporer and taste some of the best schnapps in the province and maybe buy some if you like it. Then catch the tram to the station pick up your gear and carry on out to the airport. It will come to way less than £22 for all of you, let alone each!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, but he has to pay to get to Salzburg from Ellmau first; how would he do that and how much would it be?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was offered this on holidays to Scheffau and Kitzbühel a couple of years back when the flights were on a W pattern. The £22 is apparently to cover the cost of coach and driver hire for the day (that's where the luggage is stored) but it still felt a bit steep. I probably would have done it if it had cost a tenner, I'd love to see Salzburg. Instead we just mooched about in resort all day, which was fine in Kitzbühel (lots of shops, bars and places to explore) but was a bit dull in Scheffau.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, You can get yourself there for less than that to be honest. There are buses from the resort every day.

It is a heck of a charge to be honest. The TO operator has to arrange a transfer as it is part of the package costs. If you don't want to spend the day in Salzburg and prefer ski for part of the day they would still have to provide the transport as it is part of the contract. Effectively you are paying an extra £22 per head for something they have to provide - it is a rip off. You could organise a private minibus taxi for a small group for less than that per head!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, i agree but when. you add up all the cost of diy inc left luggage and factor in that its faff-free then the difference might nite be that great
latest report
Thanks everyone for your comments

I will make my mind up when we are in resort, and we know the pick up times for both going on the visit and taking our scheduled transfer back.

I will then update this thread when we get back....... I hate following threads in other forums that don't come to a conclusion

In the mean time only 84 sleeps left snowHead
snow report
holidayloverxx, for 40 quid for a group of 4, I'd do it, but I'm over at your place doing the changeover! Damn another missed money-making scheme as I could do the tour as well Laughing
ski holidays
Hi

just to draw this to a close (in case any one in the future looks) we had a post 6pm flight home and so were scheduled to be pick up from Ellmau at 2pm.

The salzburg trip was 23euro each and you were to be picked up at 9am. My wife and I decided not to do the trip, and in the end I think this was a good idea.

When we left left Ellmau it was a lovely snowy day (we enjoyed a nice leisurely lunch that did not cost 46euro !!!!!!!!), but when we arrived in salzburg it was horrible and rainy.

I could not think of anything worse than walking round a foreign city getting wet

However, if you a classical music fan maybe you would appreciate the Mozart musuem

Sadly I now have 400+ sleeps to go before I am back on the slopes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
[b]... Mosey along Gertreidegasse and gawp at the old architecture and the medieval shop signs, try to spot McDonalds, it ain't that obvious until you smell it!

Not for me to correct you on your German spelling Shocked , but I think you'll find it's the Getreidegasse.... wink
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, iit is indeed - typpo Embarassed
latest report
Very late in this but for others interested in Salzburg - you can buy a sort of city museum pass for a reasonably price including public transport - but a lot of Salzburg is about moseying about - the castle is fascinating especially for those (unlike me) who have been to the Dolomites because there is a fascinating ,unfortunately only in German, of the Austrian Italian conflict in first world war - to day horrific is a polite description. But, I would have skied as well - it is a horrid [place as any place is in the sleet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy