Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

8848 Altitude - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had any experience with gear from the Swedish skiwear manufacturer "8848 Altitude"? They've got a fancy website, but I haven;t been able to find much info (reviews) on the web, save for the fact that they're a small Swedish operation.

I've got an opportunity to pick up a 20,000-rated Gore-Tex jacket for a reasonable price: http://www.8848altitude.com/?p=2737&garment_color=White

Any input would be appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know that brand specifically but having spent many happy weeks in Sweden I can honestly say I have never come across the equivalent of primark and that even own label stuff (jacket and pants last season, helmet and gloves the year before) has been at least worth what it cost and performed as well as I'd hope. They don't seem to do cheap and cheerful, either it's expensive or its a bargain in my experience to date. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. It just seems odd that 8848's slogan is "The ski lover's brand since 1990", and according to their website they distribute to 600 shops across Europe, yet I can hardly find any third-party info about them or their kit... Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is odd, like the look of the jacket though. Personally I'd have to go with the orange or blue, I'd drop coffee or the content of my hip flask down it on the first lift! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
idlehands, I've had a jacket from them for the last three years. Sport Conrad were pushing their gear at the time. My children also have jackets & pants from them. No complaints. Doesn't make my skiing any better though.
Swedish stuff is generally good. I always use Odlo underwear and fleeces. Excellent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lilywhite, yeah I'd prefer the orange one myself, but they only have white Confused

Steilhang, thanks for that. Ok, looks like I'll be making the trek out this weekend to see if the jacket fits!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With the sort of temps the swedes get in winter their gear needs to be good. All their stuff tends to be well designed with useful well thought out features incorporated. I've seen a fair few swedie ski bums in this gear so I'd be surprised if it wasn't good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw adverts for ski warehouse today offering that jacket for £85, is your deal better? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reine Barkered is sponsored by them so I wouldn't of thought he would be wearing primark type clothing tbh its a good way of getting good gear looking at other countries home branded gear that this country hasn't heard of.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, £85 - in my dreams! I live in Moscow. The sale price here is the equivalent of £180! Sad

As if living here wasn't punishment enough...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blimey! Google ski warehouse tamworth and take a look, it might be cheaper to ship the jacket from here! Also you might be able to get the orange one wink You'll probably want to check the fit in your store before going to the trouble of shipping tho.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m from across the Pond. However, almost all of my ski wear has been purchased on various ski trips to Sweden. Primarily this decision was based on my desire to find technical ski wear that would prove durable and stand up to the elements.

I own an 8848 Altitude ski jacket. It is a top quality product; durable and well thought out technically. I also have SOS, Fjällräven, Haglöf’s and Hestra gear.

Sweden is nation about the geographic size of California but with a population of less than 9 ½ million people. Multi-national corporations like Absolut Vodka and IKEA aside; Swedish companies tend to place much greater emphasis on their reputation for quality than on marketing. This seems a sound strategy in a country with a small population where word gets around.

As has been pointed out in a post above, Sweden has a reputation for producing quality products. 8858 Altitude is located in Borås not far from Gothenburg. Borås has been at the historic heart of the textile industry in Sweden for more than a century.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy