Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes nighlife 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've just been placed in Tignes for the 2012/13 season. I was a bit anxious as I am very much a night owl and enjoy a good night out at bars/clubs in the evenings as well as skiing every day, and heard that the nightlife in Tignes isn't that great...

However I also read that recently the nightlife has become a lot more lively, what with the recent introduction of the X games. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether I'm going to stuggle to find places to go (bars and clubs) later on in the evenings this coming season. I also know that the British snowboarding championships are being held in Tignes this year and am hoping this should liven things up a bit...

If anyone has any advice/recommendation/experience/thoughts on what the apres will be like for 2012/2013 in Tignes please let me know!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
patrickoc04, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Which "village" are you going to be based in? The whole area is fairly spread out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hey, thanks...

I'm not sure which part i'll be based in yet but apparently there is a 24 hour coach that travels between villages. What do you think, have you been?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't be anxious! The skiing is so good you're gonna want early nights all round
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Calm down- you're a seasonnaire, there's nightlife everywhere. Chill out and save your pennies
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yip 24 hour bus - although its only 20 mins from one end to the other. There's bars clubs and restaurants to suit most - but if you are looking for somewhere to be seen somewhere with lots of other people who want to be seen somewhere - forget it and get a taxi to Val. (And that's why we like it)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chasseur, I appreciate the snow is good and will be skiing a lot but i'm young and want to be burning both ends of the candle!

Just want to make sure there will be good apres as well as good skiing. Been saving all year for the season so I want to go all out! Can't wait to get out there...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
patrickoc04,
Quote:

Been saving all year for the season so I want to go all out!

That's a key line - now assuming you don't have Daddy's Platinum card - you'll fit in and have a ball. If you can make sure you are there early and get to the opening nights to get the seasonnnaires wrist bands etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Been saving all year for the season...
At €6 a beer, I hope so.... wink

Quote:
Forget it and get a taxi to Val
...as well as a mortgage to pay the fare Shocked ??

You'll love Tignes - I'm sure that the nightlife will be lively enough for you and the ski area is just amazing. There's a British-orientated Bar (Sky Sports, pie and chips etc) in Le Lavachet which seems to be very popular with seasonnaire types. Can't remember its name though.... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Can't remember its name though

Scotty's or TCs mountainaddict, ??
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway, no, i won't be using daddy's card. I graduated earlier this year and have been working 45 hours a week since...

I've been saving a lot, bar blowing some of it on some new skis/bindings/boots... I have got work lined up out there too, so am prepared to spank it all on having a good time before I enter the real world of 9 to 5 next year!

I've got a good mate doing a season in Val D so I guess I can always head over there and kip on his floor if I fancy it at some point. Looking forward to X games and boarding champs though...

And the tignes off pisting obviously
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
patrickoc04, And the massive party on New Years Eve, Blackshoes at the end of the season, and one or two other events that may divide opinion. snowHead Where are you working?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Folie Douce in Val every afternoon, then back to the Loop Bar and Jack's in Tignes and you're sorted.

There'll be plenty to keep you happy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Folie Douce in Val every afternoon

definitely need a platinum card!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
patrickoc04, if you want après sack France off and get to Austria
snow conditions
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
patrickoc04, if you want après sack France off and get to Austria

Yep. Confused
ski holidays
You'll have one major problem - trying to get to all the events the bars put on and fit work & skiing in too. If you are in Lavachet, le Lac or Val Claret you are 'on' the 24hr free bus route - pick up a time table form Maison de Tignes in le Lac or the lift office in Val Claret - the buses get less frequent as the night goes on, and are less frequent at the start 7 end of the season. If you are in Brevieres you are not on a bus route. If you are in Boisses the free bus to le Lac stops approx mid-night. If you can find out which village you'll be in, then I can give you more info on Tignes seasonnaire lifestyle.
snow report
Kenzie, I am in Le Lac, thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
ski holidays
patrickoc04, So am I but a different age group! A good start would be the Loop - v popular with Seasonairres and it opens in a couple of weeks. Also plenty in the Alpaka - quieter vibe. Plenty of cheap booze in the Marmotte Arms (very British.....) And when all others close there is the infamous Jack's Club cheap and cheerful and some nights more cheese that a cheap chalet companies tartiflette. To be fair there is a lot more late night life in Val Claret - the busses drop to one an hour after midnight - be prepared for a 15 min walk across the lake (not to be underestimated when its -20 and you've had a skinful at 7000 feet - I'll stop now before I turn into your Dad Twisted Evil )
snow conditions
Quote:
Q:Can't remember its name though......
A:Scotty's or TCs?

Dunno...I'm still none the wiser Puzzled - All I can remember is it was one of the first places on the left on the Lavachet bus route (!!). And the dining area was to the left of (and also went behind) the main bar....
ski holidays
That'll be Sotty's (formerly Censored, formerly Harry's Bar (those were the days!!))
snow report
It might be worthwhile taking a fancy dress outfit with you if you out for the season as there are plenty of parties you'll get your use out of it - i seem to remember TC's? in Lavachet doing plenty of themed evenings including fetish nights!

I spent a month in Tignes a few years ago and had whale of a time - we did go over to Val a couple of times and didn't think it was all that -much preferred it in Tignes - much more laid back and down to earth.
latest report
Patrick,
I did this for a friend who will be out in le Lac in March on holiday - hope it helps (but please note it is only my opinion, not a definitive guide). If you give more info on who you are working for & at what job I may be able to help further. Just a note, seasonnaires in Tignes tend to be there mainly for the skiing, those in VD more fore the partying. If you arereally want nightlife, stay at home - it'll be cheaper! Concentrate on the skiing, it's what you are there for! Re off-piste - check your insurance. If it is provided by your employer (especially if they are a Tour Operator) I'll bet it does NOT include off-piste. You'd need to take out your own insurance for that., and I'd recommend the Carte Neige too. You may also want to check what season ski pass you get (Tignes only or the full Espace Killy), and when you get it - most TOs don't give them to staff until they have 'proved' themselves!

Orientation - Tignes is split into five villages (and four hamlets). Brevieres, at 1550m, is the lowest point in the Espace ski area. Boisses, at 1850m, next to the dam. Lavachet and le Lac, at 2100m, only seperated by a nursery slope, le Lac being by the lake. Val Claret, at 2110m, between the top of the lake and the funicular station. Lavachet, le Lac and Val Claret are linked by a free, 24hr bus service. Le Lac and Boisses are linked by a free bus service that runs approx 8am 'til midnight.

Ski lessons - The Development Center (http://www.tdcski.com/); Neil Dawson (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.135201463173116.39343.100000497900022&type=1#!/neil.dawson.357); Evolution2 (http://www.evolution2.com/tignes/gb/default.asp)

Snowboard lessons - Alliance Snowboarding (http://www.alliancesnowboarding.com/); Evolution2

Lift pass - Check on the piste map for the opening and closing times of the lifts - they change about 3 times through the season. If you go for the Espace Killy pass you don't want miss the last lifts and have to pay through the nose for a taxi from Val D'Isere.

A good way of discovering the Espace Killy is to do the 5 points - Brevieres and the top of the Grande Motte glacier (both Tignes), la Daille, Fornet and the top of the Pissaillas glacier (all Val D'Isere). Try and go to the geological feature The Eye of the Needle (Aigulle Percee) - great for photos. It is at the top of the Marais and Aigulle Percee chairs in Tignes.
The Espace is a great place for off-piste, especially if you haven't done any/much before, as many routes are accessable with little or no hiking involved. If nothing else, try to do the Hidden Valley (Vallee Perdue), the easiest, but one of the most dramatically scenic off-piste routes in the Espace. It is accessed at the bottom of the Tommeuses chairlift, and ends by meeting the bottom of the Triffollet (red) piste, which brings you to la Daille, in Val D'Isere. The Development Center, Evolution2 and Alliance Snowboarding all offer off-piste guiding and lessons (and training on the use of transcievers!).
The Espace cannot be said to be blessed with mountain restaurants - they are expensive & generally the food is not too good. I can recommend lunch at the Brasero, Loop and Tignes Cuisine (next door to the Loop), Bananas (Val D'Isere village). On the mountain you could try the following restaurants:- Triffollet (about half the way down the OK piste, la Daille area of Val D'Isere), Edelwise (near the bottom of the Mangard piste, Fornet area of Val D'Isere), L'Alpage (at the top of the Chaudannes chairlift, Tignes).

There are only 3 bars that are still owned by Brits I know from my seasons - TCs, Alpaka, Loop. Try a shot of Foolish - invented in the Loop. Any one of those three will sell it. Most of your drinking will be in le Lac and Lavachet!
Brevieres - Vincents, The Underground
Boisses - Melezes Hotel (run by Mountain Sun, popular with seasonnaires)
Lavachet - TCs (still owned by TC & Rosie, popular with seasonnaires), Brasero (good for apres ski live music), Scotty's. The Brasero and Scotty's are on opposite sides of the road, the Brasero next to the bus stop. With Scotty's on your left, Brasero on your right, walking straight ahead, passed the supermarket on the right, there is a 'galleried' row of businesses to the left - TCs is a few doors along these.
Le Lac (as if starting at the top of the Rue de la Poste & walking downhill) L'Embuscade, Bagus, Marmot Arms, Jam. Then across the open area and past the Maison de Tignes, to the left is a road going uphill (between The Refuge & L'Arbina), on the left, just before the road swings right, is the Alpaka (still owned by Jill, popular with seasonnaires, good for watching TV sport). At the end of the road in front of L'Arbina, on the left, is the Loop (still owned by Jamie & Morgan, popular with seasonnaires, good for apres ski live music, a large sun terrace). If you continue along this road, it swings left and splits. The section that carries straight on to go under the piste takes you to Lavachet.
Val Claret - Couloir, Saloon, Drop Zone
Soon after arrival in Tignes I would recommend popping into the bars & introducing yourself as a seasonnaire. Also pop into the Maison de Tignes to find out what the resort is putting on - they generally produce a weekly info leaflet.

Nightclubs
Le Lac - Jack's (on reaching the bottom of the Rue de la Poste swing right, around the end of the Palafour building, and along the 'main' road, passed the Spar supermarket) - they also have bowling. Cav du Lac, a couple of doors from the Loop bar.
Val Claret - Melting Pot

Free buses - stops scattered along the routes - run from outside the Maison de Tignes (ie the side away from the open space), along the 'main' road up to opposite the funicular station in Val Claret (but rarely into VC itself - get off at the first stop after the roundabout, and take the elevator up into the village), then back to le Lac, stopping opposite The Refuge, then passed the Loop to Lavachet (stops outside the Brasero), then back to the Maison de Tignes. It runs about every 10 minutes through the day, becoming less frequent after in the evenings, and again after midnight.
The free bus between le Lac and Boisses is every 30 mins from outside the Maison de Tignes, to the turning place in Boisses & back.

Swimming pool - le Lagoon, looks like a huge wooden tee-pee, between the 'main' road & the lake, in le Lac.

The supermarket in le Lac, the Spar, is on the 'main' road.

Markets are held Thursdays & Sundays.
snow conditions
Kenzie, thanks for all this it's very helpful.

Can you get to Foile Douce on a Tignes only pass or do you need a full espace killy one to reach it?
latest report
patrickoc04, Yes, come down Creux from the top of the aeroski - but take the run/track that breaks off right after a couple of hundred metres (might be called Eidelweiss) - otherwise you will have to walk uphilll for about 100 metres. The Mont Blanc chair is a Val One and they sometimes check. Return via Tommeuses (this is definitely a Tignes lift despite some peoples opinions) and back down to Lac via Trolles (busy black) break off right to the Loop or you can comedown in the Aeroski.
As an aside extensions to an EK pass are available - not sure of cost.
snow conditions
patrickoc04, Alpaka good low key place, beyond that never seen any proper apres in Tignes. if your after apres your 10 miles in the wrong direction, ie Val.
snow report
Patrick,
As Chocks says, but don't overshoot - you'll end up in la Daille (assuming a Tignes only pass, this is not a good thing) and don't overstay your welcome - when the Tommeuses lift shuts you'll have a lovely walk/expensive taxi back to Tignes, whatever pass you have. And how much are your employers paying you that you can afford the Folie? Most Tignes seassonaires would only go there occasionally (birthday/meeting someone with a Val D'Isere only pass/friends out from UK who have lots of cash).
Another route is from Val Claret, on the Fresse chair - this would allow you to approach the Folie from above (ie to its right as you'd be approaching it) via the pistes Fresse, Borsat, Verte (all green) and Diebold (blue).
snow report
To add to Kenzie, - if you do end up in Val there is a service bus that leaves Val at about 1730 (need to check times at the Maison De Tignes) affectionately know as the f**kw"ts bus!
Just to make sure you know what to expect on the wallet front a can of Fanta was 6 euros in the FD last year......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie, I'm getting £100 a week on top of pass/accom/food etc. and as i said before I've been saving all year so taking a few grand out with me. Also hopefully make some money off tips...

I've been to val T the past 2 years and we used to just nip to the resort in the afternoon, stuff our bag with beers we bought from the shop then jump on the lift and ski down to foile. Bit of a pikey way of doing things but it makes life easier on the wallet. I've also got a nicely sized hipflask if I can't be bothered going back and lugging beers around.

Cheers for the advice...

p.s.

Markymark29, surely 'never seen any proper apres in Tignes' is a bit of an exaggeration?!
snow report
patrickoc04, Yes, probably. It's not that busy though!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
patrickoc04, Yes, probably. It's not that busy though!

When were you there? And which village?

Patrick - after the X games the Brits will be in Tignes, probably using the same jumps & courses. Should be plenty of parties - especially as the Brits are concurrent with Gay week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy