Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Protune firmware released!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the other teletubbies out there GoPro has released their Protune firmware. You can grab the software updater here:
http://www.gopro.com/support/hd-hero2-firmware-update/

Most exciting is the increase in datarate to 35mbps which is going to keep a lot more information rather than it being compressed out. It also makes the colour profile more neutral which is better for colour grading ands adds proper 24p support for people that like the 'cinema framerate' without needing to retime footage. As well as that it removes the in camera sharpening and noise reduction which are far better done at the end of the workflow than in camera. All in all it's easier to get a more malleable piece of footage out of the camera.

It also adds proper support for the mobile app that was released today.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh, thanks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, well not quite, maximum bit rate is increased but not fixed as it is dependent on what you are shooting and yes it does allow for better and more consistent post processing work.

In terms of the wifi app, yes they have released the firmware for the wifi back, camera and the ios based app (but not android yet as that is likely to be out in about 2 weeks) but no support for multi camera control via app or live streaming or in fact live preview whilst recording and no download of images to device in anyway as of yet. I have updated all my cameras and backs and the wifi app is okay, but there is an approx 2 second delay between capture and display on the ipad, not a deal breaker for preview.

Whilst it is a promising start, abeit very delayed there is still a way to go with this. Gopro have lost some face in the pov market place in recent months because of their delays in this area. That said their marketing and promo dept have been working overtime trying to overturn this

For those not in the know protune, in very simple terms is akin to raw in photo camera terms, it allows for much more freedom in post processing work, especially if you have used multiple cameras to cature footage and need them balanced in terms of output.

There is much speculation that gopro have had significant issues with their hardware production (china) and have oversold and under delivered functionality to try and keep ahead of the game. they are paying for this in a small way now.

The gopro3 is slated for the back end of the year (but i expect it to be early jan/feb). this will be a completely new camera and will include most of the features added on by the appropriate backs, in camera so i am led to beleive. There is even talk of a gopro pro with a 4k sensor... who really knows and when, one can only speculate.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1, 15-35 is a big step up but yes my wording is not precise.

What would you say are the actual competitors? The only new camera I've seen has been Sony's and the demo videos so far have horrid image quality.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The better upgrade is the flat picture profile I feel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
meh, this one http://www.camonetec.com/

by the way i have a little hack for people who want to copy images directly from the card over wifi without the app and just playing with aear live streaming fix. PM me for details of the data copy, not going to talk about live stream thing till i have it working.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mag1882, they all work in conjunction, no use having a flat profile if there is no data recoverable from the shadows and highlights so a higher data rate helps with that etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1, any other benefits that the slightly better accessory range? The technical specs seem to fall short otherwise?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, thanks, never really figured that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh wrote:
ansta1, any other benefits that the slightly better accessory range? The technical specs seem to fall short otherwise?

without trying one out i am not sure how it would perform.

as a slight update to my previous posts, you can preview whilst recording, but there is still a delay.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy