Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Should I buy a ski mojo?

Poster: A snowHead
@holidayloverxx, I wasn’t wearing the suspender belt thingy that you hang it from - having been advised that it was unnecessary. I should have mentioned that.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be interested to see the discussion about "keeping it up". I have a Mojo which my husband used to use - and will probably need to use it, if I ski again after all this lockdown. There was talk a while ago of some kind of "shorts" which sounded like a good idea. If you could do a photo of how you are wearing the Mojo, @tatmanstours - perhaps over base layers - that would be very useful. One vulnerability we found was that one of the carbon rods was shattered by a particularly vicious fixed chair (the sort where you always try to stand a little further forward than your companion....). When he sat on the chair he found an exceptionally sharp point threatening to dig into his calf. We dismounted gingerly then skied just far enough to be clear of the off ramp and stopped by the side of the (fairly narrow) track. I had to fish up the leg of his salopettes to find and remove the two sharp bits of the rod. This caused some consternation in the few passers by - I told them I was looking for my husband's Mojo...... Then he had to get all the rest of it off, and I carried it home, whilst he carried my poles. Ski Mojo replaced the rod, but as we were out in France it all took a while.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, ok..that doesn't really help them stay up What does the top of the rod attach to if not the belt? Mine are quite old now so a different design I guess. If the belt is not necessary it makes it a whole lot easier to put on and go to the loo (girl)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, I haven’t yet discovered how to add photos, but there are plenty of pictures on line, also videos, and I was wearing it in the way depicted, except for the extra girdle attachment, which in future I shall probably wear - can’t see any benefit in not using it.

The experience you’ve just recounted sounds like something to be avoided, so I shall certainly keep it in mind when mounting chair lifts, although I can think of only one, here in Saalbach, that dates from yesteryear and whacks you on the back of the legs. Zell am See however...

By the way, I’m in the market for a Mojo, if anyone has one to sell. The one I’ve been given to use is only borrowed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@tatmanstours, may u suggest you need to tighten up the velcro straps. Mine don't fall down my legs without boots. The boots shouldn't really be 'keeping the mojo up'

I have a similar problem to @tatmanstours - wearing my Mojo over my thermals underneath my salopettes. Nevertheless, I would n't be without my Mojo - indeed, I might have given up skiing without it. I think I am still using the metal rods which preceded the carbon fibre ones. Reckon I'll stick with them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, I was just told to put my legs through a couple of loops and then clip a strap that goes around the top of the legs, so that it “sits” around the upper thigh area, with a couple of Velcro pieces, which wrap around the thigh and lower leg, holding it roughly in place. The sensation was of wearing an undergarment that needed hitching up and might be in danger of slipping down - like a pair of underpants in which the elastic has gone. The top of the rods isn’t attached to anything except the upper Velcro strap that wraps around the upper thigh. It was only whilst walking without ski boots that gravity was causing it to slip down. In future I’ll wear the extra girdle piece .

I quite like the idea of wearing it on the outside of my salopettes or ski suit, so I shall be experimenting with it. If that works, it should be possible to delay putting it on until up the mountain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just get salopettes with a full leg zip
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, my thoughts too, especially as I have three pairs of salopettes with full leg zips wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours,

same -3 pairs in different sizes Embarassed

Rod snapped on my ski mojo when testing it out for snowboarding.
Unfortunate, you cant buy the rod for that model as it is old. It could be glued in place, but maybe its something I will look into when I get time
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve use a ski mojo for 10 weeks over the last 2 seasons. @tatmanstours, initial experience mirrors my own. I have found that by having the below knee straps as tight as possible then the thigh straps only need to be fastened , these are removable and I believe that some users remove them, this way the device stays fixed even without ski boots.
Here is a link to an image of the ski mojo fitted over base layers and under ski trousers.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Z3JVGOq_4jmHFQp2o23kFM0w

I would recommend that you have the permanent fixings on your ski boots; these are much less bulky than the clamp type.
Overall I’m vey happy with my ski mojo. I would also say that the companies aftercare is excellent. Last year ( during 9th week of use) I managed to snap support cable inside one of the hinge units whilst skiing hard in about 30cm of new snow. Ski mojo shipped a replacement unit overnight from the UK to Hinterglemm, in fact they sent me 2 units and then repaired the broken one when I got back to the UK.

I would recommend that you keep a spare “spring” unit just in case one gives way and perhaps consider sending them for “ service” every few seasons.

I do occasionally ski with the units turnedoff, but find that the assistance means I can go for longer. I wouldn’t go out now without it.

My ski mojo is packed in my skibag ready to travel !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3 years with mojos and they certainly are keeping me skiing longer each day ..usually!!
I wear them on the outside as easier and more comfortable and if the heel is dislodged from the boot by a chair they are easier to re-attach.
Tips: ensure that they are adjusted professionally to your height weight etc.
Use loctite to ensure boot screw fitting remains tight.
Disengage on steep slopes requiring jump turns.
Sometimes disengage in steeper powder pitches..
Carry small rucksack to pack them in as uncomfortable sat in an apres bar for too long!!

Only positives from good service etc but I do know people who have just not adapted to them so give them a full days trial preferably with a fitter to get the best from your mojos..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mojo over ski pants...so the leg must be hoiked up to attach the rod to the boot. I forsee snow in boots
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inner snow cuff in trousers is still over the boots so no issues..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lunch mike wrote:
Inner snow cuff in trousers is still over the boots so no issues..

How? Or are you attaching the rods lower down the boot? Mine attach above the power strap
snow report
The drilled toggle on the boot is below the power strap.
If you use the fittings that attach to the top of the boot you will have a problem but the drilled option is fine..
ski holidays
I use my mojo over my ski trousers with a drilled permanent fixing on the boot. No issues at all. Easy on easy off, easy going to the loo, once you get used to it. It stays in place- it really becomes second nature. I’m quite small 5ft 1, 55kg, so had to adjust everything quite carefully, but it really helps when my knees are playing up.
snow report
After 3 seasons use the Velcro on the neoprene was becoming less secure and flapping open on occasions..more of a faff than a problem...initially I secured it by using additional thin Velcro straps over the neoprene which worked fine and kept everything together.
I have now bought new sets of Neoprene/Velcro so they are as good as new.
latest report
@lunch mike, you've just reminded me...my velcro needs fixing too
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Thank you for feedback - very interesting.
ski holidays
As the developer of the mojo I won't make any sales pitch here, but I will just make a few of points for the sake of clarity.
1. Carbon Fibre rods were only used for the very first seasons production 13 years ago and to my knowledge no one has ever broken one
2. Reinforced plastic rods (which most people assumed were carbon fibre) were used for the next two season, we are only aware of a few of these ever breaking while skiing and no injuries were reported.
3. The next season we used reinforced plastic rods with a stainless steel core and to my knowledge no one has ever broken one of those
4. Since 2011 we have used aircraft-grade Aluminium tubes and to my knowledge no one has ever broken one , I have seen one that was slightly "kinked" following a major impact.

For the last few seasons we have included a complementary "suspender" with the ski~mojo (only complimentary with UK and USA sales- The Europeans charge for it as an additional item).
Last season the design of this "suspender" changed from a belt around the waist to a strap over the shoulders. This time last year I was in Zell am Zee with a couple of mojo using friends and we had to walk to the main lift each day (approx. 10 minutes) and put our ski-boots on there. With the new shoulder strap none of us had any issues at all with our mojos sliding down when being worn without ski-boots on, which I readily admit would not have been the case without the shoulder straps. The simple shoulder "suspender" strap is available for separate purchase from our website. We also have a more advanced "suspender" which is more like a pair of braces which will be available on the website soon.

Best way to tell if a mojo is doing anything is to switch it off halfway down a run in the afternoon and see if you notice the difference when skiing without the support for a run or two (if you last that long). You notice it far more when the support is taken away from you than when it is given to you.
latest report
mr mojo wrote:

4. Since 2011 we have used aircraft-grade Aluminium tubes and to my knowledge no one has ever broken one , I have seen one that was slightly "kinked" following a major impact.

The missing bit is inside the Ski-Mojo
I did email asking if you had a spare to sell Sad
snow report
Well, my old man broke a carbon fibre rod, as explained above - and very sharp it became, too. But it was replaced quickly and thanks to my effective groping up the leg of his trousers, the very sharp broken ends didn't injure him. wink
ski holidays
To "Mr Egg",
Without knowing your email address I don't know if we ever received your original email. Please email again and we will probably be able to sort something out for you. I'm pleased to see that the Aluminium tubes are undamaged (other than the wear on the finish) and it is not the tube/rod but the twist'n'lock mechanism that has broken, (which is also very rare, when there was an issue it was usually that the whole mechanism would detach from the Aluminium tube rather than only part of it breaking off).
We don't have any "new" rods of that type, they were discontinued in 2013 when the whole world seemed to realise (as we did) that the disadvantages of internal twist'n'lock mechanisms outweighed the advantages. The major disadvantagebeing you cant easily access anything as it's stuck up a tube. I do however have some used rods of that design that have been returned by customers trading-in to the next generation (which has external cam-clamps for the telescopic rods).

To Pam W,
The most important thing is that your old man didn't get injured. Not knowing who you (or your old man) really are I can't check to see which version you/he purchased, but having done the destruction testing on the carbon-fibre rods and knowing what force was required to break them, I would be fairly certain that it was one of the glass fibre reinforced plastic rods (which most people assumed were carbon fibre) that he managed to break.
ski holidays
mr mojo wrote:

For the last few seasons we have included a complementary "suspender" with the ski~mojo (only complimentary with UK and USA sales- The Europeans charge for it as an additional item).
Last season the design of this "suspender" changed from a belt around the waist to a strap over the shoulders. This time last year I was in Zell am Zee with a couple of mojo using friends and we had to walk to the main lift each day (approx. 10 minutes) and put our ski-boots on there. With the new shoulder strap none of us had any issues at all with our mojos sliding down when being worn without ski-boots on, which I readily admit would not have been the case without the shoulder straps. The simple shoulder "suspender" strap is available for separate purchase from our website. We also have a more advanced "suspender" which is more like a pair of braces which will be available on the website soon.

That's really good news. The only beef I have had has been the mojo sliding down when walking around resort in shoes (ie walking down hill to a ski room or even wandering around a bar whilst still in ski kit). The ski mojo has kept me able and happy to ski. It's nice to know that I will now be able to wander around a bar comfortably when I come off the slopes.
snow conditions
@mr mojo, they looked carbon fibre - greyish, charcoalish, look to them. And extremely sharp point, when snapped. It was a very sharp smack from an absolutely vicious fixed chair in Notre Dame de Bellecombe, what did it. But he wasn't injured, and we had a replacement sent out.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@mr mojo, they looked carbon fibre - greyish, charcoalish, look to them. And extremely sharp point, when snapped. It was a very sharp smack from an absolutely vicious fixed chair in Notre Dame de Bellecombe, what did it. But he wasn't injured, and we had a replacement sent out.
greyish, charcoalish, look - they were the reinforced plastic then, not carbon fibre, still don't want them breaking though.
snow conditions
Thanks, I have dropped you an email.

What type of rod is this? Was given it by a friend who used to have a mojo. No use to me!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Egg, That is the Glass Fibre Reinforced plastic rod (Not carbon fibre), suppled for seasons 2008/09 & 2009/10 only.
snow report
Thumbs up to @mr mojo
Sorted me out with a replacement rod & I also picked up a bracer set.
Ordered yesterday & delivered today Very Happy Cool
ski holidays
Have to say mine are brilliant and could not ski long without them. Couple of issues of breakages which were replaced very quickly though not whilst I was still in resort. It would be great to have a service tech with spares in every resort but obviously impossible.

Noticed some "copy cat" things trying to get a market.

The only thing I would say against them is the weight is pushed on your heels and hence I really have to mentally work at getting toe pressure early in the turn to get front of skis engaged.

Braces sound a good idea, though even after a 10min walk up to the lift, and no suspender belt or ski boots on, they are ok for me.

Thank you Mr Mojo for ekkping me skiing...... well maybe 2022 grrrrrrr
ski holidays
@Jake43, weight is pushed onto your heels...how so? Not for me and I've never seen any other reference to that
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Jake43, weight is pushed onto your heels...how so? Not for me and I've never seen any other reference to that

Mojo is attached to back of boot so puts its weight down the heel.
Without Mojo turns are much better, but not for long !
snow report
Quote:

Interesting - I'm not aware of having heard that theory before. Perhaps it depends on where the hips are at the beginning of the movement and therefore the angle of the rods?
snow report
Jake43 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Not seeing the cause and effect.
ski holidays
I thought it improved my style - certainly didn’t feel that it was hindering my turns or keeping my weight back.
snow report
@tatmanstours, agreed
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@tatmanstours, agreed

+2
snow report
mr mojo wrote:

Last season the design of this "suspender" changed from a belt around the waist to a strap over the shoulders.

Obviously there was some old stock still be sold this time last year from dealers then as mine purchased last year on the 15th of January was the suspender type arrangement.

EDIT: went to do some touring yesterday (all COVID-19 compliant didn't leave my local authority area, likely my only turns of this winter) and found a small plastic bag with the "suspender" in it when I was putting it away in the storage bag.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 15-02-21 0:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My wife used a ski mojo for a couple of winters and found it great for extending her ski day but the then design was a bit of a faff to put on
Then had her knee replacement ops and since then no need as pain and muscle weakness gone!
If you have muscle loss or arthritic knees they really help you ski longer
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy