Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver Practice in Richmond Park (Sunday, November 18th)

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone want to try and get a group together for a transceiver practice session.

We need a few people with transceivers for this to work. I may try to borrow a couple from the SCGB.

One transceiver is "buried" under the fallen leaves and the others in the group use theirs to find the hidden one.

Location - Meet at Kingston Gate Car Park of Richmond Park at 1pm on Sunday the 18th of November.

Let me know if you're interested and if you have your own transceiver.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS - This invite has gone out to other groups including the SCGB.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welshflyer, yes, thanks, I would be interested, but don't have my own transceiver.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, Ideal opportunity to purchase and get familar with it then!

If I come along I've got a spare.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keen, but it seems like a long time in the future and I'm not certain I can organise myself that far in advance Smile

I should have my own transceiver by then, at least.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh,

It's always better to set a date well in advance when hopefully people have gaps in their diaries. Also it's better with this the nearer it is to the start of the skiing, my first trip is on the 9th of December.

Pedantica,

I noticed last Saturday that Decathlon were selling Arva EVO 3 transceivers for £150 which seemed reasonably priced although I don't know how good/bad they are.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, welshflyer, I'm only a beginner off piste, and am not yet sure how much I'll be doing. A very occasional foray, not far afield, probably doesn't warrant the outlay. Yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica,

That's OK, everyone is welcome but it's better if we don't have loads of folks trying to use one unit.

When you hire a mountain guide to go off piste they will often include the hire of a transceiver, shovel & probe in their costs. However they rarely then spend time showing you how to use the equipment because they want you skiing/snowboarding off piste not messing around learning how to use the equipment.

The assumption being made is that the guide will not be the one buried in the avalanche.

To me this is a bit stupid because if the guide gets buried you need to know how to use the equipment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
welshflyer, I could be up for that, so too a pal of mine. Keep me posted if its definitely going ahead.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer,
Quote:

it's better if we don't have loads of folks trying to use one unit

Fair enough. Best count me out on this occasion, I'm certainly not going to be buying a transceiver between now and 18 November. (I had thought I was going to buy one last year, having researched the market a bit. Unforeseen circumstances intervened and I had to cancel the off-piste course I was supposed to be doing and two subsequent ski trips.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spinout,

I will keep this posting updated.

You can set options to notify you when changes are made to this posting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I can make that day and would bring my Ortovox S1 and my (old) Ortovox F1.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshflyer, I'm organising an 'West Midlands' meet, as per this thread here...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91744&highlight=

I'm not currently a SCGB member - I don't suppose you could post a note on their forum the those in the Midlands ? I'm trying to co-ordinate it via a facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179085875549628/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian,

For now I'll put you down as a possible and it would be very useful if you could bring an extra transceiver.

I'll be in Val d'isere for the week commencing the 9th of December, will you be there this winter?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So far we have a 4 from other groups who want to come to this.

If anyone else interested please let me know.
snow report
Bump
snow conditions
Just less than 4 weeks to this practice session.
ski holidays
I maybe interested, I am pretty new to all the avalanche stuff but am keen to learn. I don't have my own transceiver though, would that be an issue?
ski holidays
wam15 wrote:
I maybe interested, I am pretty new to all the avalanche stuff but am keen to learn. I don't have my own transceiver though, would that be an issue?
It seems so - see the response I got.
snow conditions
Ah fair enough. Should have read all the thread!!
snow report
Pedantica and wam15, I imagine there might be a head count and a transceiver count nearer the date. Then welshflyer can compare the numbers and advise appropriately.
snow conditions
wam15,

Sorry for a slow response.

As Adrian says keep an eye on this posting and put the event in your diary. 2 sharing one transceiver would be workable and I will have a better idea of how many we have nearer the time.
ski holidays
I hope viewers don't mind me pushing this posting up the listings.

This practice session could save lives.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob and I are potentially interested in this if we're free that day. We have a couple of transceivers we'd bring along if we do manage to make it.
snow conditions
Still interested+ have one transceiver.
snow report
Bump.
latest report
Quote:

One transceiver is "buried" under the fallen leaves

Aha! Was wondering. Thought maybe buried in deer eggs as the parkies might object to getting the shovel out.
ski holidays
mcspreader,

We might use deer eggs in the future.

I'm hoping that the deer in the park are not rutting when we have our practice session. The stags get very violent at this time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:

I'm hoping that the deer in the park are not rutting when we have our practice session. The stags get very violent at this time of year.

I guess there's a risk of randy ibex getting in the way of an actual avalanche rescue, so maybe this is just teaching yet more valuable rescue techniques...
snow report
Hi All

We did this last year on Primrose Hill. Very useful and good to meet people too.

Mr Badpanda and I are supposed to be in North Wales that weekend but - alas - there is a good chance it'll get rained off in which case we shall see you in Richmond Park!

We both have the kit.
ski holidays
Here's the current state of play.

So far the following are definite, possible or probable:-

Pedantica,

fatbob, Can you bring a spare tranny please.

Serriadh, Have you got a tranny yet?

Adrian, It would be great if you could bring the spare tranny too.

Spinout, The practice session is definitely on, you're welcome to join us.

wam15, Hope you can come and join us.

Batman_123, + Side Show Bob - I hope you can join us.

Badpanda, + Mr Badpanda if Wales (where I was born there) isn't flooded.

Plus:-

1 x SCGB

1 x PJ
snow report
I'm not coming. Happy to lend at least 1 transceiver in advance though.
snow conditions
fatbob,

Just sent you a pm.
snow report
10 days to go.

Is there anyone else who wants to join us?
latest report
Hi all,

two over here would like to join in if thats ok! Both have transceivers. Smile
latest report
dani&ben,

Of course it's OK for you to join the practice session.
latest report
Great! see you there Smile
latest report
Serriadh wrote:
Keen, but it seems like a long time in the future and I'm not certain I can organise myself that far in advance Smile

As anticipated, other important stuff has hijacked my weekend, so I'm not going to be able to make it, I'm afraid Sad
ski holidays
Serriadh,

Thans for letting me know.
snow conditions
Hi - thanks for organising this, a great idea. I would like to come along, if I'm not too late? I have my own transceiver.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy