Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes & Val d'Isere 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Annoying as it is, you have to have some sympathy for the people who are paying the running costs for those high glacier restaurants. I've seen them (including the one in Les Deux Alpes) absolutely crowded out with loads of people who are spending no money at all, just sitting there to keep warm, strewing their gear around all over the place, and delving in their packs for choc bars. Hundreds of race kids.

Yes, an odd drink is very expensive but there was some very good quiche, salad bar, etc available at not-ruinous prices. If some people are going to just buy one coke and make it last two hours, it's bound to be expensive, isn't it?

I wonder what a restaurant in London would do if 20 people went in one cold and rainy day, sat around taking up space, going to the toilets, but hardly anyone bought anything?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
I wonder what a restaurant in London would do if 20 people went in one cold and rainy day, sat around taking up space, going to the toilets, but hardly anyone bought anything?

Not been in a west end McDonalds of late?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything in the Alps is a rip.

There are no bargains anymore.

Unless you go to a resort for losers.

Charging 50 cents to drop a log is outrageous but to be expected.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, I don't know , sometimes I would pay a Tenner.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:

would not agree - if 50 cents allow to keep it nice and clean - why not. I assume those places are run by private individuals - why would not you want to build something yourself and allow to use it for free? If it would be local/municipal property, then yes, they could do it for free as part of 'welcome package' - come and a have a dump for free! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Fattes13 wrote:
€5 for a bottle of coke/7up etc!!!! Shocking
If you are guillable enough to pay €5 for a bottle of coke please do not come on here complaining.

I was not, and would never dream of paying it, but that does not mean it should not be highlighted. The cost to eat there if you are not with a race team & able to avail of the voucher system is way beyond reality and the unpleasant demeanour of the owner only adds to the poor experience that would have me recommend Hintertux or Saas Fee over Tignes for skiing at this time of the year. At least in Saas & Hintertux there is ample room for getting ready and a relatively cheap tuck shop type set or reasonable restaurant & Free bathrooms for public use.

The whole point of the forum is to share the positive and negatives about all resorts so that people can prepare no?
Years of skiing in Switzerland has made me quite price tolerant but that is one of the worst examples of shameless profiteering I have ever seen.

I have also yet to Mention €3 for an americano with no milk or sugar in a Tignes village cafe Shocked

Quote:

if 50 cents allow to keep it nice and clean - why not. I assume those places are run by private individuals - why

But why if you have all ready paid €15 for a two course meal should you be expected to pay to have a pee? I do understand charging for people who are not customers but charging customers Puzzled Puzzled

Really enjoyed the skiing & the lift Q's move quickly there but the non ski realted issues would turn me off returning when other options are available.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:

Does this refer to the WHOLE fo the Alps?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The new owner of the Panoramic does seem to have hiked the prices somewhat, but given his location he can justify it. There is no road access to his restaurant, so he can't stockpile Coke and Chocolatey treats in the summer months like many of his competitors. He has to bring it up on the train which is quite a palavor.

If you prefer to pay supermarket prices for a mars bar, then you could always ski to the supermarket in Val Claret or pack one in your backpack. I prefer to pay over the odds for sub standard coffee than freeze on terrace!

I wonder how much his heating bill is at 3000m?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rorie, Not sure about heat costs but a bottle of coke 500ml at wholesale averages at.... 0.50c and retails for 5.00. He must have his own Nuke reactor in the basement for that kind of mark up. I did find interesting that he gave me hassle for eating an apple at a table while I had a 3 course meal & coffee from his restaurant in front of me? (He does not sell apples, or at least I didn’t see any the first couple of days so I brought my own on day 4).

To be honest the biggest gripe is the q system he has in place and the time it wastes, I would suggest it is nearly as quick on a busy day to get the funicular down and back up and have lunch at the bottom. NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The new owner of the Panoramic
is Basil Fawlty and I claim my 5 pee
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's expensive yes, but as has been pointed out it's a somewhat remote location. If someone can't restrain themselves from a can of coke, or doesn't have the wherewithal to bring their own, or just some water, then it's caveat emptor all the way. Supply and demand rules.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
It's expensive yes, but as has been pointed out it's a somewhat remote location. If someone can't restrain themselves from a can of coke, or doesn't have the wherewithal to bring their own, or just some water, then it's caveat emptor all the way. Supply and demand rules.

I agree with you Dr John. However FR may not be familiar with the consept of 'price elasticity' - he could indeed have more customers/turnover/profit if he could lower the price a bit. But again, maybe the new owner is familiar with the concept and he did his math...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do understand it costs to run WCs...so how come it's free to use mountain restaurant toilets in Austria (etc)? It's seemingly a completely different - and more customer-friendly mentality. Surely, resorts as a whole (and not individual business owners) have a responsibility to provide WCs in their ski areas to customer swho have already paid 40-odd euros for a day ticket? Maybe the Austrians realise that and see it as customer care.

I once asked a friendly French restaurant owner why the French approach seems to be to 'Let's take the b@$tards to the cleaners and screw them for every last cent.'

His place was in Val Thorens and he expressed the view that French ski-stations are only open for a few months, as compared to your Mayrhofens and Innsbrucks in Austria. So doesn't that mean that Chamonix, Samoens (etc) should be serving half price beers wink .....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rorie wrote:
The new owner of the Panoramic does seem to have hiked the prices somewhat, but given his location he can justify it. There is no road access to his restaurant, so he can't stockpile Coke and Chocolatey treats in the summer months like many of his competitors. He has to bring it up on the train which is quite a palavor.

If you prefer to pay supermarket prices for a mars bar, then you could always ski to the supermarket in Val Claret or pack one in your backpack. I prefer to pay over the odds for sub standard coffee than freeze on terrace!

I wonder how much his heating bill is at 3000m?

I don't know. How much did the barrage cost? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't you think this topic has gone down the pan of late!

Looks to me as if the weekend snow will stick at higher atltitudes and certainly near restaurants with expensive loos.
snow report
Quote:

Don't you think this topic has gone down the pan of late!

I think the sh*t has truly hit the fan! I'm off to take the kids to the pool Toofy Grin
snow report
Back to autumn reality today with snow & poor vizability this morning and high winds that closed the mountain in the afternoon Sad

The forecast for today wasn't great but at breakfast time we could see the top of the mountain and we thought we would manage a good morning. Reality struck as we left the funicular and saw that the cable car was closed due to the gusty winds. No cable car means the connecting chair and 2 drag lifts to get to the top of 3500 which took about 45 minutes. These lifts are just not designed to cope without the cable car and due to the fact that Grand Motte is within the national park no upgrades are allowed.

After a quick warm up we skied around 3500, in varying snow and vizability conditions, where thankfully there were small queues. We decided on an early lunch so decended to the top of champagny, where we watched the French slalom team training on sheet glacier ice and making it look like soft snow, before having another lunch in the Panoramic wink

After lunch we stayed low skiing around Rossolyn enjoying the soft snow and keeping out of the wind.

Unfourtunatly the wind increased during the afternoon and the mountain had to be closed about 3.00pm.

For all you guys wondering about skiing down the Double M i understand on good authourity that you cannot ski all the way down as there are patches without any snow but also some very good snow in places. Anyone fancy a pair of brand new BBR's with a few scratches rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
stewart woodward
Quote:

For all you guys wondering about skiing down the Double M i understand on good authourity that you cannot ski all the way down as there are patches without any snow.......Anyone fancy a pair of brand new BBR's with a few scratches?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hopefully won't be too long now though!
snow report
Snowing again this morning in the village Very Happy but it is windy so not sure what time the glacier will open Sad

Looks like about 5 -10 cm of fresh snow overnight Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking beautiful in Tignes and Val D today; sunny, cold and snowy! I can see quite a few people playing on the bottom of Double M on the webcam.
snow report
Piccadilly wrote:
I can see quite a few people playing on the bottom of Double M on the webcam.

That means the glacier is shut.
latest report
Thinking of going up today....is the glacier open?
snow report
Double M opened yesterday so now you can ski all the way down to Val Claret. The snow cover yesterday wasn't great but it has being snowing since 9.00pm last night so the cover should have increased. Very Happy

Sunshine & snow forecast today. Currently light snow in Le Lavachet Very Happy
ski holidays
^ it looks really slushy today though, temperatures must be fairly mild at resort level.

The glacier must be nice though!
latest report
We cannot complain. Early November!! Just remember the worry of last year. Still green in early Dec. Some of this may go but surely some will stick higher up. Happy to see any white at this stage - 5 weeks and 5 days to go before my first runs of the winter
snow report
I am also glad there is at least something in November - staying in Val for a week - from Dec 16th!
We did the same last year and I remember worrying about the snow and then there was like a 4 day blizzard where we could hardly get out!

Something in between would be nice for this year snowHead
snow conditions
Mark1863, absolutely, it's nice to see the EK mostly white in early Nov! Last year was rather concerning..

5 weeks and 6 days for me! I will see you and lauralime on the slopes snowHead

I'll be in the Chalethotel Val d'Isere from Dec 17th.
snow conditions
25 days to go for me.. I fly out on the 1st
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
it's nice to see the EK mostly white in early Nov!
Indeed. More snow today and even more white - Les Brevieres is looking very nice on the Tignes webcams Smile.
snow report
Got a dump alert from Tignesnet

"It may only be the 6th of November but it is officially chucking it down in Tignes. At the moment about 50cm has fallen in just two days on the glacier and it's still falling. With cars covered in snow and icicles hanging off balconies, Tignes looks more like January than November and we are loving the unseasonal look!"

Half a metre??? Sounds a bit or a lot of an exaggeration to me.
snow conditions
^ it's looking very snowy indeed on the webcams. Starting to look like a ski resort now! Not sure about half a metre though, even on the glacier.
snow conditions
50cm on the GM doesn't sound too outlandish to me. I was trudging about in snow up to my knees at about 1500m up a hill near Annecy a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
Mark1863 wrote:
Half a metre??? Sounds a bit or a lot of an exaggeration to me.

No exaggeration, half a meter on the glacier in the past 2 days Very Happy Very Happy Powder skiing on GS skis today, great for your technique wink Get yourself 'centered' and make lots of adjustments to keep you there!

20 -30 cms in the village this afternoon Very Happy Tignes looks more like January than November (remember all those 'will it snow' posts from last year?)

The next few days are forecast to be sunnier and a little warmer
ski holidays
Good News!!
latest report
stewart woodward, awesome! Well let's hope this lot makes the start of a good base and there's stacks more to come Very Happy
snow conditions
Counting down...

latest report
feef, what snow report widget is that?
snow report
Built-in Mac OS one isn't it?
snow conditions
it's the standard OSX dashnparp[1] widgets Countdown and Snow report

[1] Dashboard : but the typo made me laugh so it stays
ski holidays
dashnparp - verb

What polite people do when exiting a lift
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy