Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian ski resorts on the train line to Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Am beginning to plan holiday for a group for Jan 6th departure to Austria. Some of the group would like to head to Salzburg for the day. I have done this previously from Zell am See but have been there twice already so was wondering if you have any advice on other resorts that are easy access on the train and decent in size to ski?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
darbyrw, St Johann im Pongau is on the mainline from Zell to Salzburg. The shuttle bus up to Alpendorf stops just outside the station. You can add the whole Salzburgerland area on to your weekly ski pass for less than a day ticket I think. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bad Gastein, Leogang for example.

In Austria, they have these things called busses wink - very comfortable, very reliable and often quicker than the train (e.g. from Zell am See to Salzburg, the bus is quicker as it goes across rather than around the 'Deutche Ecke').

Many resorts also have Shuttle Taxis to Salzburg, or special rates to Salzburg, so if there are 4 or more who want a day out, ask the hotel to source a taxi, which will probably work out cheaper than the train.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Hofgastein at that time this year. Lots of Russians so bonus firework display on Russian New Year! Direct train line to Salzburg, and plenty of skiing for a week.

St Johann / Alpendorf as has been suggested.

Or places like Wagrain/Flachau, even Schladming are easy enough to get to Salzburg, though will probalby not be direct service.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've taken the train before from Salzburg to round to Kufstein to get to Soll.

I remember the route went all round the houses... through St Johann (nr Kitzbuhel) and then I think it went through Brixen part of the Skiwelt area, so that could be an option.

Maybe look at Google maps, you can probably see/trace the railway line?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1gunsalute, Wagrain and Flachau are not on any train line. You need a taxi from St Johann or Altenmarkt to get to Wagrain. Flachau is a short hop on the shuttle bus from Altenmarkt if they are still running. I'm not sure of the schedule, but there not many trains per day along that branch line. I've only seen the commuter trains in the morning and evenings plus a few goods trains. Zell am See is on a main line between Salzburg and all points south, as is St Johann im Pongau. Getting off at Bischofshofen and taking a bus/taxi up to Mühlbach opens up the whole of the hoch König area to you as well. Or instead of picking up the Salzburg trains, take the line to Lofer and get off at Saalfelden which gives you the choice of Maria Alm and the other end of the Hoch König (5kms away) or Leogang (and the Saalbach-Hinterglemm circus) about 10kms in the other direction.

bungabunga, I've done that run, a real trip around the houses in a shake, rattle and roll all-stopping milk train! Took bloody hours and then there were no taxis when I got to Kufstein as it seemed the station had shut up for the night. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
darbyrw wrote:
Hello

Am beginning to plan holiday for a group for Jan 6th departure to Austria. Some of the group would like to head to Salzburg for the day. I have done this previously from Zell am See but have been there twice already so was wondering if you have any advice on other resorts that are easy access on the train and decent in size to ski?

Thanks.

Apologies for the plug but there is a map which shows you exactly what you're looking for! It's called the SkiRail Map of the Alps.
More info here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx and a sample here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
Will have a look at my copy later on and see which resorts are on that stretch.
Neil Neige
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much for all the responses. Neil - I have ordered a copy of the map - thanks for a great link!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
darbyrw, Due to the geography, mountains etc, the majority of resorts in Salzburgerland don't have railway stations or even railways nearby - instead they have bus or taxi shuttle links to Salzburg. Just look on the Tourist Office websites for details. Sticking to resorts with stations greatly limits your choice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[
bungabunga, I've done that run, a real trip around the houses in a shake, rattle and roll all-stopping milk train! Took bloody hours and then there were no taxis when I got to Kufstein as it seemed the station had shut up for the night. rolling eyes[/quote]

But arent there more direct trains to Kufstein from Salzburg, the ones going to Innsbruck
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jafa, It is a question of timing, sometimes you can get the quick trains sometimes not. I was unlucky in some ways, lucky in others. I got to see a quite nice route and I was not in a hurry. Now I use my car and do the same. Sometimes I use the motorways and sometimes I use the Landstrasse.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
darbyrw wrote:
Thanks very much for all the responses. Neil - I have ordered a copy of the map - thanks for a great link!

Hi - glad it was of interest, and thanks for ordering a copy.
Hope it helps with your plans - any feedback appreciated!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it is time for a shameless plug and a bit of train /taxi info too!...

Firstly (and to get it off my chest), yep... I have availability for a group from 6th Jan....
Also we are just 70km from Salburg which is 45min by taxi transfer.
And radstadt is on the main line from Salzburg and takes about 1hr30min from station to station.
Taxi transfers are €45 per person from Radstadt to Salzburg airport or can be about €100 for up to 8 seats - you can book either company depending what is cheaper!

I guess the skiing ain't too bad either!... easy to access Reiteralm, Schaldming, Zauchensee, Flachau Winkl and Flachau plus th elocal lump of Radstadt too...

So... plug and pimp over!...

Oh, and we often pop up to Salzburg so can also offer a 1 way shuttle service (depends on what we're up to as to whether it is to Salzburg or back; but every little helps Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy