Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

if soll isnt available......

Poster: A snowHead
Planning on going to soll on 29th Jan (maybe the week after but prob the 29th) .want to stay at postwirt hotel but rooms booking up. We don't want till late November. If the rooms book up and no decent hotels available, which Austrian resorts shwould we consider. Really want to do Austria this season but want somewhere with at least 125km, lots of coasting blues and ggentle reds which have nice treelines and picturesque . Want a few night time bars but not bothered about crazy night's. Chose sell/skiwelt due to having the above. The crazy night life is added bonus. Just read a boost about solden . Would that be worth considering,? Don't want anywhere too expensive
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want lots of pretty tree-line skiing Solden is not the best choice as most of the skiing is above that level. Lots of wide open motorway coasting though! I'd have a look at Saalbach-Hinterglemm, it's a huge area, short transfer too from Salzburg and lots of choice when it comes to accommodation and their Tourist website has an English option so it makes life easy. We found some of the blues are borderline red but there are so many to choose from it shouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jon Ford, go a couple of Km down the road to Kitzbühel. OTOH Söll is part of the Ski Welt which is the biggest connected ski area in Austria ( and can also share a ski pass with Kitz ) so it's unlikely that you won'f find something in at least one of the villages around the mountain, i.e Söll, Itter, Scheffau, Ellmau, Going, Brixen, Hopfgarten, Westendorf. Any of these are good, although I would possibly avoid Brixen & Hopfgarten cos they are on the sun side and lose the snow on the valley runs quite quickly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford wrote:
Planning on going to soll on 29th Jan (maybe the week after but prob the 29th) .want to stay at postwirt hotel but rooms booking up. We don't want till late November. If the rooms book up and no decent hotels available, which Austrian resorts shwould we consider.

There is plenty of accomodation in Soll so if thats what you have decided to plan then I'd be amazed if the town is fully booked already for 29 Jan. Puzzled

Hotel Postwirt is slap bang in middle of town, a great location and ski bus stop just opposite for the run upto the gondola which only takes a few minutes. You can store skis and boots very cheaply at the main gondola station which is very efficient and clean as a whistle. The walk back down the hill from there to town is a pleasant one at the end of the day and takes in a few nice bars en route.

Last March we stayed at Hotel Fuchs on far side of town. It was pleasant enough, good food, good clean rooms and again ski bus stops almost directly outside if you don't want to walk into town (10mins) or to gondola (20mins). There was another nice looking hotel next to the Fuchs but I can't recall its name but you could find it easliy enough on google search I would think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. For skiwelt we'dbe limited to ellmau, soll and wistendorf for accommodation as be booking through a TO. Alsowant a pool. Hopefully postwirt will stick haverooms faking that the wife will have to compromise. Thanks. Solden looked nice. Not bothered about loads of tree lines , as long as they have some, and the village is traditional Austria
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Based on your original requirements I'd be looking at Saalbach and Schladming as alternatives.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks downhillalltheway, just checking them out now. Wish we'd just book now and all sorted
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, go for Westendorf rather than Soll, better skiing and nicer village.

Agree Saalbach would be a great alternative (and would certainly be my preference over Soell!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Schladming as alternatives

Hotel Poste nice, in old town close to main lifts
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again. Westendorfe sounds nice. If we stayed at ellmau, how far to walk to soll or how much in a taxi. Checked out Thompson brochure and they offer a lot more hotels than neiolson so sure we will find somewhere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon Ford, Ellmau is only about 4 miles down the road from Soll - 10€ in a cab? Ellmau is also pretty lively in itself and might suit you well. Pick a place near the funicular station
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

Schladming as alternatives

Hotel Poste nice, in old town close to main lifts

Sporthotel Royer even better and has required pool. Falkensteiner Hotel will be open by then as well and you may find a deal there as they only open just before Christmas. Schladming is simple to do self-booking. Flights to Salzburg. Transfer with Taxi Maxi and book hotel direct.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good advice. Thanks. Will look into self booking. How muchwould taxi maxi be each way. Do u book before or when at airport. Always booked ski hold through a TO
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could try Mayrhofen. Some tree line skiing, more in neighbouring Gerlos (same pass). Plenty of hoels, a few have pools. The Edenreh (sp?) comes up in booking.com as reasonably priced. Through tour ops, the Strass/Mannis and Zillertalerhof all have pools.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want a nice pool, check out the Hotel Glockenstuhl in Westendorf. One of the nicest pool/sauna/'wellness areas' I've been in (remember saunas are naked in Austria). Also family run, great food, 2 min walk to lifts and apres (but far enough out to not get any noise).
ski holidays
thanks clarky999, thats a nice looking hotel. Just been pricing things up though and flights around £250 each. Together with the stay at 900e and then taxis, its going to come quite expesnive

Getting a bit worried now as hotels are windling down! Push comes ot shove, we'll go Italy/France, but would love to go Austria

Ghost Dog, will have a look at Mayrhofenm too. thanks
latest report
Jon Ford, Best hotel I've stayed in, love it, and the staff are great.

Where are you flying from? That seems like a lot for flights booked this early in advance! The only time I've gone over £200 on flights (Aberdeen - Munich or Innsbruck) is booking two weeks before...
ski holidays
flying from manchester. for the 26th Jan, easyjet wanted £200 and jet2 around £205 (that was before baggage etc)

Just been looking at Kitzbuhel. It says the full lift pass gives access to Skiwelt, and thompson brochure says lifts connected to Westendorf. Could we ski from Kitzbuhel to westendorf/skiwelt or do you have to get the buses. If so, how far and how much. Tried looking on line but not clear anywhere to how it works. thanks
snow report
also, as would be flying to Salzburg, is there anything to do in the city before flyinhg home at 8 at night?
ski holidays
Jon Ford, You are kidding aren't you? It is one of the biggest tourist attractions around here and has tourists pouring in there every day all year. I quite often drive over for a walk around, never took a guided tour yet. Loads to see and hear for free.

Try google to help you broaden your horizon! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thanks Samerberg Sue, will take a look. Going to stop posting info requests now. Think will have to hope for the best that there are some good hotels going in blue2 months. Samerberg Sue, have you got any jobs going over there....that would solve all problems!!
snow report
From Westendorf, you have to ski the KiWest piste, then get a 10 min (I think, been a while) FREE bus over to Kitz.

Could be worth checking flights to Munich too (Stuttgart too, for that).
ski holidays
Thanks clarky999, sounds like this could be an option. Going to try and leave ski planning for a while. Got a holiday to tenerife first. Sure I'll be piping up again in 6wks . See u all soon
ski holidays
I assume you have already looked through the Hotels listed under "accommodation" by the local Soll Tourist Bureau? http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/soell.htm

Good ski map of the area (but not Kitzbuhel) here: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/asp_service/upload/content/Skiwelt_Panorama_11_12_englisch_.pdf
snow report
Jon Ford, used to be indecisive but now he's just not sure! rolling eyes
snow report
Stayed in Soll in March this year at Feldwebel hotel. Very nice, central, but rather empty that late in the season. Nicely sunny in the afternoon on the outside beer terrace; probably very lively in January I should think.
latest report
Thanks epicure, will look into that 1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy