Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vonn wants to race in mens downhill...

Poster: A snowHead
...at Lake Louise...could be fun Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
absolute rubbish
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She is starting to believe her own hype by the looks of things! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2/10 would not bang.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CH2O, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/06/us-alpine-skiing-vonn-idUSBRE8950BS20121006

rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud, Reports on Ski Racing and Ski Chrono. The 5sec deficit suggested in the Ski Chrono article sounds about right to me but I can see other women objecting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud, I've read the article, just refering to the bullshite hype
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anything that brings attention to the sport in a positive light cant be bad right?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13, Why do you think the attention would be positive ? She might avoid being DFL but I suspect not by much.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only one way to find out for sure
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
She is starting to believe her own hype by the looks of things! rolling eyes

Looks like this. There was few similar things already (Schild skiing as forerunner in Schladming etc.) and it never ended as someone would wish. Just that when you are skiing as forerunner, they don't need to put times out, when you ski regular race, time is there. And I don't really see what good would it bring to skiing, when she would finish dead last with huge difference behind anyone else.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another Michelle Weir.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
primoz, Yes but she will have an unfair head start on all the others when she races on the same hill with the ladies the following weekend. I think it is gamesmanship to be honest, simply psyching out the opposition with any trick possible.

She is back in the USA and she is starting to orientate herself to an American market, raising her profile any way she can. I hope she is not permitted to take part and to be honest that some bright young thing who is not freaked by her presence comes along and in American parlance "Whoops her ass"! I think we will see more of these stunts as the season moves along.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is no way we will know for sure what her intentions are. There is no denying she is very talented and works hard at training. She's worked her way to the top and is reaping the rewards...I don't blame her. Skiing would be a duller place without her.
Perhaps she is being advised to do this...? Good for the sponsers...Red Bull??? Who knows...but it keeps her and them in the spotlight...which imho...is what top sportsmen and women do...and it's why they end up at the top.

Personally I think it's a good thing...Skiing...especially racing, needs as much exposure as possible right now.

It's becoming increasingly less popular....Freeskiing and Park, being the new 'Cool'...or whatever the kids call it these days Laughing

Also...and there is no denying...Sex sells...even in sport. Vonn, Gutt and Maze all use their looks to their advantage...and why not. Sponsers want a pretty face with the talent to back it up.

Tbh...Chemmy would probably struggle even more for sponsership if she didn't have a photogenic face...wouldn't you agree?

I've digressed slightly...but i for one would like to see how she gets on against the men.

She may suprise us all or fall flat on her face...who knows until she try's.

It could backfire completely if she does really badly and effect her confidense.

Personally I don't think she would gain any advantage a week ahead of the ladies DH.

Bring it on i say....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also... I'll just ad....can you imagine the banter with the lads if she beats some of them...

'You got beat by a girl...haha' Laughing Laughing
snow report
spud, she will beat some of them! Personally, I look forward to her showing the blokes how it's done.
latest report
I think she should be able to choose whether to race in the men's or women's competition - but not both. That'd sort out her motivation.
latest report
pam w, Do we know what her motivation is? Do we know who's idea it is? Hers or her advisors or sponsers?

Would be interested to know...
snow report
spud, If she didn't enter the women's race afterwards it would remove some of the potential complaints of other female competitors.

Another question would be start position, she ought to start at the back of the men's race but wouldn't get as much TV airtime then.
ski holidays
It's all about the sponsors, let's not be naive here.
latest report
Valid point...

According to this article.. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/lindsey-vonn-asks-permission-to-enter-mens-downhill-race/article4594342/ it is an attempt to revamp womens Alpine skiing. Which if so... I don't have a problem with it. Ski Racing needs more exposure imho.

In that respect... No male racer should lose his place from the event. She imho...should be allowed to qualify for her starting position just like all the racers...or start as a forerunner. Just to see what her time would be by comparison.

Personally I would go for the former...let her qualify. If she ends up near the back so be it.

It would be good to see the Worlds best women try her luck against the men.

Would rather see her try her luck on the Hanenkahn though...rather than the far easier Lake Louise Twisted Evil Laughing
latest report
Quote:

It would be good to see the Worlds best women try her luck against the men.

In all sports! I'd take boxing back up for that!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I totally agree. Even though women DH is different then men DH (even on same course), rules are pretty clear about that... at least that part which says when you are not allowed to be on race course. And even if courses are different, you still get at least something with (at least) 2 extra runs.
But then again, she probably doesn't really need this extra advantage... she's superior even without it, so I somehow don't think this is main reason.
On the other side, obviously noone with clear mind told her, she won't do much of a business with going to this race. If you want to play it fair, she should start based on her (non existing) FIS points (yes her FIS points from women's circuit doesn't get transferred to men side). Which means she probably wouldn't even have right to start WC, but even if they would let her start, she would still need to take one spot out of US team, which I'm really sure guys would be happy to give away and not start their almost home race. And on top of that, like I said, she would need to start dead last. Which is totally useless, since no TV on world would be transmitting someone starting with number 60.
spud, you want to see her dead suggesting Hahnenkamm? Smile
ski holidays
primoz, Well apparantly Vonn told Tamara McKinney at the Ski Ball in San Francisco... that she wished to enter for sometime a men's downhill - and once get down the 'Streif' in Kitzbühel...

And no i'd wish no one dead.... I really admire Vonn.
snow report
Why did they stop women from skiing the Hahnenkamm? Did the course change? http://www.hahnenkamm.com/news-en/items/female-athletes-on-the-streif.html
ski holidays
She has a distinct weight disadvantage
To do this at the start of the new season? Nice publicity stunt, and that´s all.
latest report
kooky wrote:
She has a distinct weight disadvantage

latest report
Yep...11 and 1/2 stone is pretty light.

I get a feeling of dislike from forum members for Miss Vonn...am i correct?
If so...why?

Going back to original post...for me, the only way this could be made possible is if she skied the course as a forerunner and nothing counted.

I'd still like to see her do it...just out of interest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud wrote:

I get a feeling of dislike from forum members for Miss Vonn...am i correct?
If so...why?

because she's a bit of a diva? Gossip says she's not well liked on the circuit - now that might be a bit of jealously that she's competitively a class apart but might also say something about her personality.
snow report
kooky, + 1 with that assessment.

My gut feeling is that we will see a much more combative Ms Kildow/Vonn this season. She has to raise her profile in the US market if funding is to continue and to prepare for post competition career. I think she will continue in the controversial role she has been slowly but steadily working on this past two seasons. They like it back home as they see it as a "them and us" situation; brave, pretty All-American sportswoman against the mighty racer machines called the Alpine nations!

She is a phenomenal skier and clearly one of the favourites for the coming season. But she is not the nice friendly girl from next door any more, if she ever was. I think her aim this season is to beat the Herminator's points record, which she came close to last season. She would love to take Anne-Marie Moser-Pröll's record as well, but I think that may be a step too far. The World Cup circus is way more competitive these days.
snow conditions
she's awesome, publicity done this way is ugly. Life maybe, still ugly.
latest report
Not many people in sport get to the top of their game and break records by becoming friends with fellow competitors.
They have their family and friends back home.
Nick Faldo comes to mind in Golf...very few fellow competitors liked him, because he looked after himself.
She has given back to the sport in many ways with appearances at events.
She's damned if she does...damned if she doesn't.
I admire her for being pro active and getting in peoples faces.
latest report
spud, not at all. I am the biggest fan of women v men in sport, and there aren´t many where we get to whip the lads( excuse the pun) but it was one of the things that I so loved about my chosen sport of showjumping.

I would dearly love to see Lynsey beat the likes of Kröll, Svindal and Miller, but it´s not going to happen. She may beat the lower end of the field, but against the likes of "the big boys" Sorry, I can´t see it, and especialyl not on a track like the Streif, is she was ever allowed by FIS to race it.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-10-12 18:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
spud, also, I have met her about 6 times during training, she was always really lovely, taking time to sign autographs and pose for pics, Ther first time I met her was about 8 years ago at Hinterreit, where there is a shrine of photographs set up for her, she is very much loved there Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Can't see that I've really seen anything from her behaviour on the race course or interviews that would justify the tag "diva". She's obviously pretty impressive at what she does and I guess that will tend to make her focussed, intense and competitive like most top sports people. Like others have said if you keep winning it probably doesn't make your competitors that fond of you. But it's competitive sport, not friendly.
snow conditions
I have to admit I know just one side of her, and there's not many people who know other side. But on this what I do know about her, and what I have to deal with her, I would never ever said she acts as "diva". Surely it's not all natural, but she has this thing done to smallest details, and she knows damn good, that being nice and friendly brings her money. And that's what she is. Always and everywhere. Nothing is to hard for her to do. No matter what and where, she's always available for press (and most likely for fans too). So definitely not even close to diva.
On the other side, yes, she doesn't go out as others do, but there's pretty simple explanation for this. If someone ranked on 20th place (ok Bode is exception, but he doesn't give a poo-poo what someone writes about him) goes out and gets totally wasted, noone cares. If Lindsey would do this, she would be all over newspapers for this, and it wouldn't really help her. So she just doesn't do this, even though I heard from quite few people who have much better info then me, this thing actually bugs her. But it's business.
So even though she's not my favorite skier, I really have to say here, that there's very few guys or girls on WC, with who it's so easy to work as it's with her.
When it comes to this particular case, I have my own opinion about this, and it's reaching way back (to days of few biathlon guys trying to show the world they are better then xc skiers), so it has nothing to do with Lindsey. In my mind, you race your own stuff and that's it. But then again, she won every single thing she could, so I understand that there's nothing else to prove. But considering everyone involved know, in reality she just doesn't have a chance for any kinda solid result in this, someone should tell her it's not the best publicity when she would finish on place 50. No matter, that this would actually count as great result. But then again, who am I to tell this anyway Wink
snow report
primoz, The only post on here that called her a diva used these words:

" because she's a bit of a diva? Gossip says she's not well liked on the circuit - now that might be a bit of jealously that she's competitively a class apart but might also say something about her personality."

First of all not brave enough to actually state he thought she was a diva but used a question mark to intimate it.

Then used the path of quoting "gossip", knowingly stating that she's not well liked. Where has this gossip come from? Can he quote sources? Is there any evidence that she is not well liked?

Then dropping in an insinuation that she might have a personality issue.

The whole post was pretty nasty really.

Whether asking to race men is being done for publicity or the challenge, only she and her team know.
ski holidays
emwmarine, Welcome to Divageeks snowforum. Laughing
snow conditions
emwmarine, Hang on - I put it as a question because I was referencing some gossip I'd heard, admittedly from people based in California who it's fair to say wouldn't be naturally rooting for Vonn as a hometown favourite. I think we can say primoz's view is the one that holds the most credibility here. It's not a surprise that people who are highly driven and successful in any walk of life aren't necessarily universally like by their peers and even more so if they are so focused they don't mix as much socially as others.

(& let's dig the thread about the 2010 Olympics .. Oh yeah bit of a history of media psychology on the rest of the field IMV http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35327155/ns/today-countdown_to_vancouver/)

Also NY Times a credible enough source for you?

Quote:
Vonn identified one major positive outcome of being single again — she reconnected with her teammates.

“In the past, my dad was there with me and I was separated from the team,” Vonn said. “Then Thomas was there, and I was off with him. This year, I was an integrated part of the team. We went to dinner together, we’d hang out or go shopping. I had never done those things with the girls before, and it made my skiing more fun.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/sports/skiing/for-lindsey-vonn-professional-triumph-and-personal-turmoil.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-10-12 20:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Simon Cowell and Gordon Ramsey are to enter the Bobsleigh.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy