Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone want a Ski Exercise Programme?

Poster: A snowHead
Right.
Seeing lots of stuff in this forum now the season's coming up again, and whilst some of it's good, some of it...

Would anyone be interested if I was to write a resistance programme for Snowheads to use? To give something back so to speak, as I've had a lot of entertainment and good advice from this. And whilst I may not be able to advise people how to ski, I can certainly help them to exercise.

FWIW, I've been a Personal Trainer for 3 years, have a 1st in Sport and Exercise Science, a member of the UKSCA just off accreditation, studying for an MSc in Strength and Conditioning, and coaching elite junior athletes in the gym. And I'm also aware that a lot (not all, before I insult anyone, or anyones relatives, spouses, significant other or pets) of PT's do not have a f**king clue what they're actually doing.

Just testing the waters. If there's interest, I'll get one made up as and when I can. If there's not, then nevermind!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would be really interested; really epsecially for ski specific.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joe1890, I'm definitely interested. But I need something very low impact due to busted knees and living above my landlady Laughing If it makes use of everyday sort of things as well that would help as I'm often away from home meaning I cannot make it worth my while to take out a gym membership.

At home I have various resistance bands, a Kettler exercise bike and two different size Swiss balls (small and medium), plus an exercise mat. What I cannot do is anything that involves me jumping up and down because the landlady complains - had to give up most of my Wii-Fit stuff because of that!

I can also use the "great outdoors" of course but being at 800m asl it is going to get parky here soon as well as mucky weatherwise. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool - I've got no problems doing 2 basic programmes, one for gym stuff and one for non-users, with do's and don'ts for age ranges, fitness levels etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I would be very interested although I am in no condition to exercise right now. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ianmacd, feel like I have to ask now! The well know "lack of mountain" syndrome? Get it all the time.. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ruptured ACL in March. Struck down by what I think is sacroiliitis on other side searing pain in buttock, hamstring and altered sensation in foot on opposite side. Just had arthroscopy and partial meniscectomy and ACL stump debridement knee seems better and I think can now fully straighten knee. However I am hobbling because of pain in my other leg/pelvis. Apart from that I am fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ianmacd,

Is that not some kind of disc injury as well?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ianmacd,

PS. I am female
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It could be probably a bit too much physician heal thyself going on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ianmacd, Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
joe1890, I would be interested on your thoughts too.

Thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joe1890, great idea and look forward to seeing the programmes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joe1890, I think its a great idea, people can take a look and decide if its for them or not.

It cant do any harm and some people at least may gain from it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ianmacd,

Whoops, meant that post to go to joe1890,
latest report
joe1890, Sounds good, will await with interest. Have been doing loads of cv work over the summer, a few core exercises would be good to supplement the jump squats, burpees and star jumps I do, 6 sets of 3 reps 30 secs each. Re core I do planks, side planks, sit ups and press ups, a few new options would be welcomed!
ski holidays
Alright, as there's definitely a few people interested in looking at the very least, I'll get cracking. Can people give me a rough estimate of how often and how long they can commit for? ie. times per week they go to the gym, how long they're there for..
Watch this space!
latest report
joe1890, 4x a week, 45 mins? Cheers btw
snow report
Markymark29, cool no worries - I'm assuming that not as many people will have the dedication for 4x pw, so chances are I'll write a split programme that can be repeated as often or as little as preferred. Obviously depends on other responses, but that's the way I'm leaning..
snow report
joe1890, Cool
snow conditions
joe1890, If it is home doable (or hotel room) I'm up for 3 times a week if a long programme. But I would prefer a shorter one that I could run through every day after work. Any plyometric stuff will have to take place outside, so a mixed programme of core work every day and longer cardio stuff outdoors. For the cardio stuff, please note I have two heavily compromised knees (3 ACL reconstructions on one knee and thin meniscii, 2 ACL recons on the other and trimmed meniscii as well but about 60% both sides still healthy).
snow conditions
4/5 x 60 mins
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, it'll probably be an hour long gym based one, and a supplementary DIY as well. Will crack on this week and get it done, although depending on workload for uni it might not be till the end of the week. And don't worry - I know all about dodgy knees. I'm 22, with 1 complete reconstruction (ACL, MCL rupture, LCL grade II), followed by arthroscopy. So I'm left with 2 grafted ligaments, no medial meniscus and about 15% remaining of my lateral meniscus which locks after heavy squats. Isn't rugby a wonderful sport?
ski holidays
joe1890,

I'll have some of that.
I'm currently in the gym 3x2hrs per week, mixed CV and weights/resistance work with an emphasis on legs pre-Xmas. I too have old rugby ferked knees having had tears chopped out. Also had rt bicep tendon reattached two years ago this month. Knees are ok now, have some nerve damage to rt lower arm.
latest report
Definitely interested, have a few bits of gym equipment (treadmill rower bike ab frame weights ski walker) but get bored very quickly using them. Of Saga age now so some light stuff needed Very Happy
snow report
joe1890, Usually in the gym for around 2 hrs, 5 times a week, sometimes add a weekend sessiopn too in the winter. Mix of cv and weight work along with floor based exercises.

Also a bit of a dodgy knee Sad
ski holidays
joe1890, Sounds very interesting, either gym or no gym.
latest report
joe1890, Yes very interested, on a program already but would welcome a comparison - currently 4 x 2.5hr (cardio,core and strength) + 1 x 1hr cardio only per week. 176cm, 79kg, 44 yrs, no injuries.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joe1890, very interested. Won't trouble you with my personal quirks, just happy to read whatever you come up with. Thanks.
snow report
add me to the list of interested folk, goto gym when at home, but something DIY in hotel room or limited hotel gym would be good Smile
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
joe1890, very interested. Won't trouble you with my personal quirks, just happy to read whatever you come up with. Thanks.

+1 Thanks for offering to do this, much appreciated. snowHead
latest report
This is a lot of interest Shocked

Good stuff. Should have something for you guys by the end of the week, although no idea how to upload an excel document to SnowHeads..

Like I say, I'll do 2 - one with no equipment and one with gym equipment. Watch this space!
snow report
joe1890, I'd have some of that.

I train at a gym about five/six times a week (1 to 1 1/2 hours) and cycle once. I'm happy to work ski related stuff into existing workouts or have a couple of ski specific sessions every week.
ski holidays
joe1890 wrote:
This is a lot of interest Shocked
Looks like you're the new snowHeads' exercise guru then Wink
Quote:

Good stuff. Should have something for you guys by the end of the week, although no idea how to upload an excel document to SnowHeads..
Email me the file and I'll upload it to the server if you like.
ski holidays
joe1890, try google docs to share a spreadsheet........
latest report
joe1890, There is quite likely a lot of variation amongst sH's current fitness levels... would it be possible to include some comments/info on how to work up the program from a...... shall we say..... [cough]..... lower.... starting point? wink
snow report
bear in mind that when she says "lower" we're talkin'...

Wink
latest report
admin, .... 50 shades of fitness? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
And by that Schuss in Boots, you mean "It would take a whip to get U to exercise"?
snow report
admin, Pfft... I'll have you know I exercised this very weekend.... I have muscles screaming to prove it Little Angel

but under normal circumstances, you may have a point... rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy