Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish coach trip to Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of hiring a coach which will pick you up in your local village/town/city in Sootland at set times before taking the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam.

From there the coach will drive to St Anton stopping off at a few sights on the way (maybe the Moselle valley).

Next stop will be St Moritz, before Verbier and then on to Val d'Isere.

After VD the coach will head down to Nice for a few days of sunshine and beaches.

Then it will return to Amsterdam with a stop off or two on the way.

The coach will then drop you off back where you were picked up, hopefully within walking distance of your home.

I am thinking of a 3 day stop in each resort. That would make it a 3 week holiday, which could be shortened to two weeks if that was more popular.

If there is any people in Scotland interested in this, let me know here as I need to fill a coach (or minibus) to make it worthwhile.

I suspect 2013 would be a bit ambitious for this trip, maybe 2014 or 2015.

Anyone interested?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good idea if you can get the right mix of people. Not for us as it's too far in a coach with young family. Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This coach would be cool.

http://youtube.com/v/75F3CSZcCFs
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the bus there would be games, like "bop it" competitions in order to pass the time.

For those who have never played "bop it" it is an irritating electronic game in which you bop it, twist it, pull it or spin it from the direction of a noisy hip hop beat. If you do not do as directed quickly enough, you lose. The highest score is the one who does as directed for the most number of instructions.

I am sure kids play such games, but you are probably right that it would not be a suitable length of journey.

Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen, the bus would not stop in Amsterdam!

Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is your name Brendon?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could people who are not interested, please post a message here (if you have any sarcastic comments please add them too). It is useful to know those who are not interested as that helps eliminate the minority from the majority.

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might be inteerested, I work offshore so it would depend if it works out when I am off , 2 weeks would probably be best for me or maybe 17ish days . I live near Aberdeen,
Do yu have any idea of costs?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think as it would not be a business, it would be on a non-profit basis. To make it viable it would have to work out at roughly £100 per full day skiing (or less) to make it cost effective compared to skiing in Scotland.

That £100 per full ski day should include all transport, ski pass, accommodation and food. (perhaps a bit more because of the end of trip beach volleyball game)

There would need to be several drivers, so a small minibus would required to fulfil legal requirements regarding driving licences abroad. Of course, in the UK anyone could drive a 15 seater minibus legally if they had a full UK driving licence.

So, heathermo will take the minibus and drive it from Aberdeen to Perthshire (near me) picking up people on the way (yet to be determined what the exact route would be)

I'll think about what it might cost, but it can be dependent on numbers and flexibility regarding accomodation. For example, camping is good value if you bring a tent and a small gas heater.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You never mentioned anything about having to drive the coach I presumed it would be, with driver! I can drive but not happy about driving in alps with bus load of people, sorry.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper wrote:
Of course, in the UK anyone could drive a 15 seater minibus legally if they had a full UK driving licence.

I think you're idea of the bs trip is really good. But you need to note that you need a PSV to drive a mininbus with over 8 seats if (taken from DVLA website) "the passengers have a right to board the transport". As your trip includes transport and the trip is paid for (even if it make non profit) then you'll need drivers with PSV's (D1+).
There are exceptions to this rule but you'll need to contact DVLA
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
heathermo, I think in the Alps there would be a need for some experience so your objection is noted.

Wayne, the size of the trip is reducing by the day. Still a minibus with 8 people is obviously going to be a cost saving over a van with one person. (which I have done and know the costs) The DVLA regulations say that you can drive a minibus with up to 16 people "as long as there is no payment from or on behalf of the passengers". In the example here (herthrmo's objection taken into account), then heathermo would not be paid from the passengers or from anyone else for driving the minibus. She would be paying for her share of the costs. I am sure that this argument may be questioned, in which case a minibus permit could be applied for by the drivers.

Having people drive the bus in relay is the best option in order to ensure safety. I know when I was driving, I would get tired after a few hours. Sticking to a schedule would require probably at least half of the bus being able to drive, and half of that again to do so in the UK only.

Saving costs again, it might be possible to just take the minibus to the ferry. Take the ferry over without the minibus, and get a bigger bus with more people joining it in Amsterdam.

I am sure the regulations are there to ensure safety, rather than profit. So some people would need to apply for a licence, and may even need to get one for Europe (likely to be more complex).

Luckily, it will be a few years before this gets off the ground. Plenty of time to apply for a minibus permit heathermo!

Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy