Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any helpful comments about Galtur?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've booked for the February half-term - Got an apartment at the Berghotel Rasis.

Never done Galtur/Ischgl area before - so some interesting and helpful stuff please folks: Very Happy

Restaurants in Galtur
Apreski
ski rental etc.

We're self driving Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Long time since I stayed in Galtur, but stay down the valley at Kappl frequently.

Galtur is a lovely area with reasonably varied pistes but fairly compact, an enthusiast can probably ski all the pisted runs in a day. It is predominatly north and east facing and snow cover is very reliable, however if it is cold it can be very cold here much mores so than down the valley at Ischgl. The area has never been crowded when I have skied it it Christmas New Year and February.
If you want to ski down at Ischgl there are car parks down there or you can take the ski bus which is not very frequent from memory. There is free parking at Ischgl though the ones closest to the lifts fill up before 9 am. There is also not particularly expensive underground parking within a short walk of the lifts. There can be queues for the base lifts from Ischgl before ski school starts (they meet up the hill) Thereafter not too bad at half term though there is the odd bottleneck that can be avoided by knowledge or studying the piste map.

Too long ago since I stayed to remember much about the restaurants think they are mainly hotel based, the night life is quiet.
The cheapest ski rentla that I know of is via ski set booked in advance at Kappl. You can collect them on the way up as you pass the shop on the main road. The quality of equipment there is reasonable and we have used it quite a bit for childrens skis though we have our own adult ones.

Hope this helps feel free to ask anything else.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Galtur is a nice but small village. Skiing is good but won't keep an intermediate skier interested for more than a day or so. Ischgl however is a different matter. One of the top piste resorts in Europe in my opinion and easily accessed using the bus from Galtur. The Apres Ski is as good as anywhere in the world. The Trofana Alm is a must. There are some nice places to eat both in the village and also off the road between Ischgl and Galtur.
I'm sure you know but the only way in in the winter is via Ischgl. The road is closed at Galtur in the winter that links through to Sankt Gallenkirch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought Galtur was a strange place, the ghost of the 1999 avalanche still haunts. I was told our hotel owners had a long standing feud with the hotel behind. Don't know about ski hire as we took our own or about the restaurants as we were half board. There are plenty of smart hotels which were pretty full but the streets were deserted at night. I went into the stylish bling Pyramidenbar but it was deserted. There were a few youngsters in a shabby kebab shack. The plain door to "Tommy's Garage" might be missed but go down the stairs and it was rocking to live music & I had a great night.
The local hill is a family skiing area worth half a day skiing with a very pretty view of the lake. They also have floodlight night skiing if you can brave the cold. For apres there is a homely knees up in the Fluchthorn Alm near the bottom of the slopes with the punters singing and the barmaids in Lederhosen dancing on the bar, we were made welcome and got very merry.
The free bus service to Ischgl was punctual but became a drag after a few days. Ischgl is a fabulous ski area. The lift system is as good as it gets. Lots of cruising runs and the smugglers run into Switzerland and back on the spectacular double decker cable car was a daily ritual for us. The home run from the top to bottom is very very long but is like death race 2000 in the late afternoon. There was a preponderance of not always polite Russians in early January. There is plenty of apres and nightlife to be had in Ischgl, it's a bit hard on your wallet but that did not phase the Russians.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-10-12 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oofaafuu, . We loved Galtuer. The ski area is not big as you probably gathered and we went outside peak time which also could be an advantage. Luckily for us it dumped big time and I made a calculated decision to ski in Galtuer after a big overnight dump- I remember three of us had the whole side of the mountain to ourselves skiing 3ft of new powder below the Saggrat. The night life is hit and miss, Tommys Garage had a few live gigs going on. We had a fun in a mountain restaurant one night. They will collect you in a skido at the bottom of the run and drop you back at the end of the evening. The ride in the dark heading up the slope at break neck speed made it all worthwhile! There is a pizza restaurant in the village and a couple of other bars you can walk up the hill to. As far as ski hire is concerned there are a couple of shops right in the centre of the village with hire facilities.
The Ischgl ski area is massive, you won't be disappointed but make sure you have your piste map with you as I have never seen so many lifts heading in different directions in my life and its easy to end up at the wrong lift. (Could just be my map reading!)
Don't forget Kappl. This is a lovely small ski area further down the valley, if you are not skied out it's definitely worth a visit. More info here:
http://www.galtuer.com/index.en.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Galtur is the last one at the end of the valley. It has 40km piste.

Other resorts in Silvetta are

Ischgl (238km piste as it is linked to the Swiss resort Samnaun) 6 miles away from Galtur.

Kappl (40km piste) 12 miles away

See (33km piste) 16 miles away

If you self drive you can go to any of the 4 places. Ischgl is obviously the place for Apreski.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For your kids would recommend the climbing wall in the museum cafe (which has its own entrance so no need to pay for museum ticket), and the swimming pool with its excellent slide.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would agree with earlier points about the cold in Galtuer - I've never skiied anywhere so cold! It's much smaller and quieter than Ischgl but also much colder and gets much less sun. Kappl and Ischgl down the valley are warmer and sunnier resorts on the same lift pass though also with excellent snow conditions. Kappl is also small and quiet so good for kids and Ischgl has plenty to keep you entertained. All the Silvretta resorts are linked by a regular free ski bus so you don't need a car to travel between them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for the responses - all excellent and confirming a lot of my own research.

We stayed in Serfaus last year, and that was also quiet in the evenings. Just out of interest, is there a night bus between Ischgl and Galtur like there is between 1500 and 1850 at Courchevel? Or is it fair to assume that if the Apres Ski makes you miss the last ski bus, then the only option is a taxi? Puzzled

Thanks in advance.... Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
oofaafuu, Don't think ther is a night bus , the tourist office is usually pretty good at telling you the options and giving an idea of the cost of taxi transport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
annaski wrote:
I would agree with earlier points about the cold in Galtuer - I've never skiied anywhere so cold!

+1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I would agree with earlier points about the cold in Galtuer - I've never skiied anywhere so cold!

Should try Norway sometimes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
Quote:

Should try Norway sometimes.

or North America Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed a week in Galtuer, skied mostly Ischgl. Report/pics at

http://gortonator.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/a-week-in-galtuer-and-ischgl/

If you dig around online, you can find teh bus timetable. Don't recall there being a very late bus back from Ischgl, but a cab between 5/6 wasn't crazy expensive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy