Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TGV Paris to Geneva: passport control

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I realise that this might be a topic more appropriate for the resorts forum but I am trying to reach the widest possible audience.

Question: anybody got experience of clearing customs / passport control after arriving in Geneva gare on the TGV from France? I have a connection in Geneva (ultimate destination Verbier) and wondered how long this might hold me up? Is it an airport style clearance operation or something more informal? My connection is tight as it is so any significant delay or queue would mean I miss the train.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not done it but as Switzerland is part of the Schengen agreement there should not be any passport control.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pedalpusher, Some of the TGVs go all the way to Lausanne, it may be worth looking to see if that is the case or exploring the new service that goes from Lille to Martigny this winter, where you just cross platforms for the train to Le Châble.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pedalpusher, Not done it that way but arrived last year with two minutes to spare catching a TGV from Geneva to Paris and we still made it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Customs still operate between the French and Swiss sectors at Cornavin but you would be unlikely to get stopped or take more than 2 minutes. Just don't look like a drug dealer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is no passport control. But there might still be a queue on arrival and there is customs that may pull you aside (they do care about shopping done outside the country, not just drugs, so don't carry many shopping bags if you don't want their attention and if you have any new stuff take time to take all price tags and packaging off), certainly takes longer to disembark the train than to board it, but you should be done within 15 min barring delay at customs. Trains to Verbier (to Brig with a stop at Martigny) depart Geneva at 33/36 min past every hour and at 56min past every hour but if you are taking this train you will be waiting almost one hour for a connecting train to Le Chable. In winter there is also a TGV going from Paris to Brig which doesn't pass through Geneva and stops at Martigny, you may want to explore this option too - can be the best one fewer changes. Used to be a Friday night train with a late bus from Martigny to Verbier but I think the schedule changed now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for your responses. I have 9 minutes between trains. Not the end of the world if I miss the train as there will be another one in an hour but it would be nice to make it. Cheers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pedalpusher wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. I have 9 minutes between trains. Not the end of the world if I miss the train as there will be another one in an hour but it would be nice to make it. Cheers!

9 minutes is probably too short unless the French train is early and the Swiss train is late. Sorry got to go, a flying pig is just going by.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Très drôle! Thankfully my ticket to Verbier is open so even if I miss the first one, I can get the second one without penalty.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would be good if someone can tell you which platform the Verbier train or connection leaves from. When you arrive at Cornavin the steps down are in the third of the platform towards Paris so you should position yourself somewhere near the middle of the train. It is best not to take the steps but take the ramp if there are a lot of people. As you come out of customs you can turn right to find the Swiss platforms. The problem is the Swiss stop signalling the platform a few minutes before the train leaves to stop people running up the steps.

There is an exception, there is a platform that you get to by turning left out of the French side, walking down the street then reentering the station by another concours. However I don't think the trains to Verbier leave on this platform.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I travel occassionally on the Paris-Lausanne TGV and customs happens on the train by way of officers walking through and spot checking. No passport as it's Schengen, but I have been asked for documents.

Don't know if it's too late to chage, but to Verbier, you could be better off changing in Lausanne than in Geneva ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you use the Swiss Online timetable it usually tells you which platform a train will leave from
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy