Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bruised Achilles? (from direct impact not from running etc)

Poster: A snowHead
So I got a proper road bike about 5 weeks ago and got clipless pedals for the first time. Inevitably on my first go I had a minor mishap where I forgot to unclip in time and nearly went down, in the course of averting that I twatted the back of my right achilles really hard with the pedal.

It swelled up pretty badly and was difficult to walk on for a while. That subsided after a couple of weeks and now it's just a sharp but light pain frequently while walking. Trouble is it's been like that for 3 weeks and doesn't seem to be improving, does it just need more time?

There's plenty of stuff about Achilles injuries on t'interwebs (and on here) but it all seems to be directed at sports-related stretching/tearing type injuries as opposed to direct impacts.

Anyone got any advice?

(Thanks in advance)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to hear that, but surely your next step is to get proper professional advice by finding/seeing a well regarded physio...we could give well-intentioned advice that could end up exacerbating the problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, the thing is it doesn't hurt that much so it doesn't really feel that serious... Unless it doesn't go away.

I understand that there isn't much blood circulation in tendons so they can take a long time to heal, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair enough, my only experience is the full monty so no idea what is best to do. Altho that Brownlee chap dug himself a hydropool in his back yard and did him the power of good...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobmcstuff, i'd second DoubleBombardino's advice - see a physio. They are usually a good first port of call, unless you have private health cover in which case, see an orthopod ASAP. I don't think achilles crush injuries are that common, so professional help should be sought. Anyway, put me off getting spds for my road bike. I know you get loads more power from them, but I would go and do what you have done..... hope you get it sorted soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, to be fair it's something you definitely only do once!! I've been really paranoid about them ever since.

If I go and see my GP will they be able to refer me without it costing anything? I assume physios are not free otherwise?

(excuse the lack of knowledge...)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobmcstuff, I think in most areas of the UK you either pay and get an appointment quickly and at your convenience or wait your turn on the NHS.....is it worth calling the GP, just to ask how long the wait would be?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You have my sympathy . I have a similar injury though mine was caused by being wacked in the ankle by a childs skooter. It swung round as they were trying to do a jump & hit the back of my achilles. This was in Summer. OK to walk on but walking boots hurt where they grip the ankle. Am seriously considering physio before I have to get anywhere near ski boots.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobmcstuff, hope that your achilles is getting batter. I rode a road bike last week with spds for first time. Am now a serious convert. Just ordered pedals and shoes. Am expecting falling off or Achilles twatting fun in next few days. Cheers. Wobbly Dobby
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Yeah, the thing is it doesn't hurt that much so it doesn't really feel that serious... Unless it doesn't go away."

I ruptured mine playing netball two years ago, and didn't have pain when I did it or for the five months afterwards in a storm trooper boot, so don't rely on no pain meaning no damage. Get it checked out x
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mellyski, I didn't have much pain either. But i was very sick. And had a stupid dangly foot that wouldn't move. Bloody squash. Game for youngsters.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any chance the original poster has an update?
I suffered the same injury, a direct blow next to the Achilles, bruised up.
Thanks in advance
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Paxton913, welcome. I hope the OP has recovered by now...

You have my sympathy. My lay initial advice is that it will get better but take time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And see a physio! It amazes me how many people will spend £££ on a fancy bike then begrudge the £50 it's likely to cost to get expert assessment and advice on rehab.

Also, ice it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I know you get loads more power from them

Apparently not, if you search diligently for any robust evidence.
ski holidays
If you're moving I'd just go with some ibuprofen and menthol gel for now. Physio if an ongoing thing. Acute injuries generally just get better. I'm a GP.
snow conditions
I appreciate the help. Yes my bruise was right at the insertion point of the achilles to the calcaneous. Moving around but trying to rest it if possible. Can't wait to get back skiing again
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy