Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
Tyremen, just looked at your site, one order coming your way (after I've double checked my tyre size!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SueRushworth wrote:
It's great to hear snow socks can get you to Val Thorens. I am going to La Rosiere. We will be checking the chains fit they are in a different part of the the country at the moment. Thank you so much for your help:-)

I certainly would not rely on snowsocks to get me up that road to La Rosiere, make sure that you have chains that fit and practice putting them on. If not be prepared to spend the night in Bourg St Maurice!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In tests the "Michelin easy grip" out performed the "snow sock" but they are both a lot less robust than a proper snow chain. Don't expect to do much more than 30 miles or so with them.

http://youtube.com/v/rCmPoOt7xnI

http://www.reifenpresse.de/uploads/pics/ADAC_Schneekettentest_2011.jpg

If you can't fit a normal snow chain (because of clearance issues, damage to alloy wheels etc) I'd point you in the direction of the Rud centrax. Expension but cheaper than a new set of alloys or a front wing body repair.

http://youtube.com/v/Xsn7uw1yjP0
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Brenta C is a cost effective proper snowchain ....

http://youtube.com/v/2Q5c5lPo-4E
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TonySmith wrote:

Swillers note regarding directional tyres got me thinking (a rare event... Laughing ); I have a 'Get You Home' steel spare wheel with a standard tyre on. If I was to get a puncture and need to change a wheel in the snow does anyone have any thoughts on:

a. Where this leaves me legally with the Gendarmes?
b. Whether it is worth swapping wheels about to ensure that least grippy tyre is front or rear? My gut feeling is to get all the Winter tyres on the front (I have FWD) to give traction, steering and the option to put chains on (as they are sized for these wheels). This make make the rear axle a bit prone to slipping, but it is only to get me to safe refuge.

Couple of issues, if you have a puncture using winter tyres and only have a summer or space saver spare you could be in for a bit of juggling with the wheels to make sure you've got two winter tyres on the driven axle. Always put the odd tyre on the non driven axle. Hopefully any puncture will be on the back wheels.
Unless you've got a limited slip or locking differential, the summer tyre will spin and you'll lose drive with only one winter tyre on the driven axle.
You could go with chains but only if there's snow on the road.

In my experience punctures always happen when it's dark, wet and horrible, having to take off and swap tyres around is a horrible cold job. I carry an axle stand in my Land Rover as well as a jack so that I can take 2 wheels off at a time should I need to, unlikely that a car driver will have a stand or 2 jacks to make life easier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, I used to have a summer tyre on a spare wheel (after a bad experience with a space saver). The last time I changed my winter tyres I put the least worn one of the set being replaced on the spare and now carry this all year round.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've often wondered about space saver wheels and winter tyres.

Although many are comfortable with winter tyres now, some insurance companies will get all arsey if you change your alloys for steelies because they are not 'standard' fitting. However, in many cases, steel space saver wheels are supplied by the manufacturer and therefore, by definition, are standard equipment. If you could russle up four of them - and find winter tyres to fit (probably not easy) - then that should be an acceptable solution. They'd be nice and narrow to boot and ideal for cutting thru the snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis,

Yes but I think space saver wheels have a maximum speed of circa 50 MPH,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, that'll be a limitation of the cheap tyre.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
DB, that'll be a limitation of the cheap tyre.

When I tried to put narrower winter tyres on my car the manufacturer said I couldn't as the weight of the car (with heavier diesel engine) dictated the tyre width. I have 205's in summer and winter but petrol models can put 195 winter tyres on.

http://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-information/tyre-definitions/space-saver-tyre/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Please quote for fitted price 4 X 225/45/17 - Budget tyres. PM me if you'd prefer.

That's what the website site is for! I'm sure Tyremen being a good chap would quote you anyway - but it might be quicker to have a quick look in his site, or another tyre site that takes your fancy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tyremen, Thanks very much!! I arrived in a very snowy Tignes last night, feeling very smug watching people put chains on - or abandon their vehicles presumanly due to a lack of chains. There was also a couple of sobering accidents with one SUV perched on top of the concrete crash barrier (about 2 feet high) looking as though the balance might tip at any moment. No snags getting round the village roads.

As for a bit of feedback on the Vredstein Snowtrack 3's - I didn't notice any extra noise and my fuel consumption was 47.5 mpg over 650 miles compared with he same journey in Sep when I got 48.5. Not entirely a scientific survey but the Auto Express survey suggested much worse - histrionics perhaps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I have now swapped my summer tyres for the winter set, so as far as I'm concerned it can now snow in the UK. Bring it on..... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My tyre men winter tyres fitted at garage near me today..... Great help via PM during the selection process
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tyremen, as some snowhead who will not be named has just convinced me to buy a Discovery - winter tyres for 255/55 R19?

Link to website? Had a quick scan through but can't see it
snow report
Boris, they're here http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ I've used them a couple of times now, very good Smile
snow conditions
chocksaway, those figures are probably much more accurate than the auto express tests! The tyre tests are helpful to a point but actual use feedback is always really helpful. The Snowtrac 3 didn't get the most amazing results this year but our customers still give us great feedback, plus it's pure snow performance is about the best out there! Also worth noting is that the values returned in the test for the best winter products are so close that some of the differences between them will be really small. Enjoy Tignes!
snow conditions
Boris, has to be Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme, by far and away the best SUV winter tyre on the market! Amazing in any condition, offer excellent mileage and are good value. Most people would fit this particular tyre and leave it on year round!
ski holidays
I have Vred Wintrac 4 Xtreme on my Range Rover during the winter absolutely awesome tyre put the winter wheels on a cople of weeks ago now the temp has plummeted the tyre grip has changed to fantastic levels its all in the polymers of the tyre.

Although the RR can go anywhere with Mud & Snow tyres on the extra grip in icy conditions makes a big difference with the winter tyre worth every penny Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 1-12-12 15:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just got Nokian WRA3 215 45 17 £ 100 a corner delivered from Europe, to trial against Nokian WRG2 that are on their 3 winter with little wear. The A3 is meant to be more sports orientated, and as both my Subarus have the same size wheels, I can swap them. Nokian are Finnish, so they are better placed than most to develop and produce winter tyres. Very Happy
snow report
Boris,

Value for money Vred Wintrac 4 Xtreme
One of the best tyes on snow but only mediocre braking on dry and wet roads.
This tyre also looks to have a pronounced sidewall that protects the wheels from cliping the kerbs (women friendly tyres whoed a thought of that wink )

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow
Best tyre in its class on snow but also very good braking on dry and wet roads. Downside = not the most comfortable tyre and rolling resistance is high.

Not all the tyres in this german test are available in your size.
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_auto_motor_und_sport_50798.html

PS Looks like the tyre size is the same for summer and winter so not a massive advantage in going for a summer and winter set of tyres and wheels.
snow report
tyremen wrote:
Boris, has to be Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme, by far and away the best SUV winter tyre on the market! Amazing in any condition, offer excellent mileage and are good value. Most people would fit this particular tyre and leave it on year round!

Thanks - luckily that was what I'd decided on and they will be left on all year. Time to check out your site!
snow report
Hi tyremen

I have just bought yet another 17 seater minibus - this one is a ford transit
At the moment they have standard tyres on (185/75/R/16).

I was thinking of fitting the same type of tyres that I use on our Irisbus's (Michelin Agilis Alpin) as they never seems to get stuck or slip, even in deep snow they just plough on though. Only needed to fit the chains once last season.

But, I'm still confused (doesn't take much ya see) by the markings that are on the winter (?) tyre we have.

I would prefer to have the Snowflake/mountain thingy but I'm not sure if you can get em for vehicles over 4 tons.

Any ideas ??

This is what we have on our fleet a the mo and I'm not sure what it means.

What does that mean and am I legal Puzzled

And, what is your recommendation of snow tyres for minibuses
snow report
Wayne,

Can you read German?
http://www.wohnmobilforum.de/w-t76314.html
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Can you read German? http://www.wohnmobilforum.de/w-t76314.html

Yeah corz I can - about as well as I can speak French Laughing
But it's OK as my mate Mr GoogleTranslate has told me what it says.

And I'm still confused, as it says that my tyres are not real winter spec but just beefed up summer tyres.

Where can I get a set (7 per vehicle) of "winter" tyres for minibusses.
Shouldn't be that hard and there are loads of em whizzing around Europe during the winter, so someone must make em.

Puzzled
snow report
tyremen, any discount for snowheads?
snow report
Wayne,

Basically they are saying that the Michelin Agilis Alpin is really a very good performing all season tyre but there could be insurance issues if you have an accident.

Is that Snowflake/mountain on your Agilis Alpin tyres? Looks like something they would put on a cheap import (e.g. Some cheap imported summer tyres have M&S on the side)

http://www.testberichte.de/a/autoreifen/magazin/promobil-11-2012/343763.html

185/75/R/16 seems to be a non-common winter tyre size. Are you planning to have a set of summer and winter tyres / wheels?

Edit just found this and the Michelin Agilis Alpin looks to have the correct Snowflake / mountain symbol

http://www.reifendirekt.at/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=25256379.102.32225&typ=D-110553&ranzahl=4&Breite=185&Quer=75&Felge=16&Speed=N&weiter=0&last_sort=preis&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=profil&Transport=P&tyre_for=LLKW&dsco=102

These winter tyres may also be suitable ....
Goodyear CARGO ULTRA GRIP
Fulda Conveo Trac
Nokian Hakkapeliitta C Cargo
Bridgestone M 723
Maxxis MAW2
Hankook RW06
Dunlop SP LT 60
Continental VancoWinter 2
Yokohama Y354
latest report
How much tread does a winter tyre need to remain effective? I've searched through various forums and not found a convincing answer. My snowtrac 3s have about 3.5 - 4mm left and at the end of last winter I didn't think they were quite as solid on icy roads as they had been...but then again I could have been imagining it. I guess performance in deep snow is likely to drop off as the tread goes, but what about in more usual UK winter conditions (i.e. cold, wet/icy mix rather than full snow cover)?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mgrolf,

Winter tyres = 4 mm

Summer tyres = 1.6 mm
snow report
DB wrote:
Is that Snowflake/mountain on your Agilis Alpin tyres? Looks like something they would put on a cheap import (e.g. Some cheap imported summer tyres have M&S on the side)

Yes it is. I got them from KwikFit so I don't think they are copies (hope not).

Anyway - not sure if I'm allowed to do this here, but no doubt some Mod will shout at me if I'm not Toofy Grin

(but if it benefits a snowHead, why not ?)

I want to buy (now) 7 tyres - of the sizes I put just a few post back.
They are to go on a double axel 17 seater transit.
Been quoted £840 from KwikFit.
Anyone want to sell me some (this week or next - off to resort V soon)

Oh and they MUST have the snowflake thingy and be good (the best) quality (we don't buy cheap, we buy quality, even if everyone hates TO's on here, some of us don't always scrimp on everything wink)

PM me if you're a tyre chap or chappes with details of type and cost
ski holidays
Wayne,

There's another number on the tyre with relates to the load rating and speed rating. It helps to get the right tyres.

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall

I expect you will have something like "102/104 S" at the end of your tyre numbers.
snow conditions
Wayne,

What you probably should be looking for is 185/75 R16C 104/102R or some manufacturers put the C at the end 185/75 R16 104/102RC The 104/102 is the load rating ie 900kg capacity per single wheel, as in the front in your case, and 850kg per wheel when they are double, as in the back on your vehicle (the reduction is I believe because of a greater heat build up on double wheels).The second R gives you a speed rating of 106mph, the C signifies that the tyres are for a Van, although yours is a van with windows. The size 185/75 R16 seems to be only available in that spec and the minimum buy price is about £90 for anything sensible eg. http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/yokohama-y354-185-75-r16-104-102-r-c Total £650 inc VAT
You have obviously got to add fitting to this. You really should check the vehicle handbook if you can to make sure that is the right spec. tyre for the vehicle.
The price from Kwikfit is not out of this world if they are giving you the Michelins and they are right for your vehicle http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/michelin-agilis-alpin-185-75-r16-104-r Total £714IncVAT
I sympathise with you though, and no offence to tyremen on here who seem to be a notable exception, but getting a sensible answer out of the tyre trade, especially regarding winter tyres, in general is pretty hard work. We gave up long ago, bought the machines and got somebody trained by Michelin, much simpler, cheaper and safer, for us anyway.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 3-12-12 9:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Agree with skitow as (unlike here in Austria) in the UK it is not always clear which winter tyres are required there is always the danger than the UK tyre manufacturer will sell you what he has in stock as opposed what you really need. Can't say anything bad about the "Tyremen" on here but getting cheap quotes over the internet could leave you with the wrong tyres (e.g. dimension, speed rating, load rating etc).
snow report
Last winter, Kwikfit were the cheapest for our Continentals as they had an offer on of 25% off. Way too pricey at their normal rate though.
latest report
DB, I agree with your sentiments about internet purchases but tyremen, whilst working a lot through t'internet, they are quite happy to discuss yoour requirements over the phone. having had litlle luck with my main dealer I rang Chris who asked me a series of questions about what use the tyres were going to get, answered my beginners questions and then presented a range of options with a recommendation. Everything he said agreed with the details in the manual re size etc so he got my business.
ski holidays
Just ordered from tyremen
http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/10906/18575r16-(104r)-rw06.aspx

About the same price as Kwikfit but big difference is these are "winter" tyres for light trucks (as opposed to mud and snow)

We'll see how many time the chains are needed this season - mind you, the snow ploughs are out in the town this morning, BIG drop last night Toofy Grin
ski holidays
tyremen, we are thinking of changing our car .Wec urrently have a 2009 X-trail with Continental Winter Contacts (size escapes me but 17" alloys). I haven't had an answer on the tyres that are currently fitted as new to the 2013 X-trail Tekna model we are buying, but I don't seem to be able to find any winter tyres in this size (215 55 r18 ) . Any suggestions?
snow conditions
Hells Bells,

Just as a guide http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/4x4-winter-tyres-215-55-r18
ski holidays
skitow, thanks
snow report
Hells Bells,
Firstly to point out that I know sod all about tyres Confused
But
try this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Tyres-/9891/i.html?_dmpt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&Type=Winter&_nkw=215%2055%2018%20Winter%20
Put your numbers into the dropdowns and see what comes up (you may need to get better/higher speed tyres if yours arn't there)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy