Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gym Leg Routine For 40 Something Bloke.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last night at gym-
Leg press machine (squats) 3 sets of 12 reps. (Fully loaded on set 3)
Leg curl machine 3 sets of 12
Leg extension 3 sets of 12

Lunges with dumbells 3 sets of 20 (10 per leg)

Session also included arms, chest, abs and 25mins fairly hard CV work.

Dynamic enough? Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or you could just, y'know, squat. Don't use machines. Isolation is pointless and builds muscles that know how to work in isolation. You could just do 3x5 back squats or low bar back squats and save a ton of time too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski, my own view is that if you're doing legs, chest, arms & CV in the same workout you'd be better off doing them individually on 4 different days and trying to up the intensity.

You may not wish to go to the gym so regularly, but I'd certainly split the leg stuff from the hard CV.

Also tend to agree with DaveC but with the proviso that squats done badly are the fastest way to the physio's table. Legs curls and extensions do zip for me, I just do lunges and squats with a heavy kettlebell
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say not dynamic enough and you could do , like the others say, non-machine exercises that would be better. The lunges are fine but I would do more other stuff, like free weights, squats, kettlebell swings, bulgarian split squats etc etc

My trainer told me that you should do cv after resitance work if you want to lose weight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea, agreed.

Stay off the weight machines. Squat standing on a BOSU, squat with weights, do one legged squats, vary the stance too between narrow and wide. Use the stepper machine, the rower, the bike and the running machines.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's not much evidence that instability type training (ie BOSU) does anything but risks hurting yourself, and I'd recommend just getting good at moving heavier weights rather than variation for the sake of it. People tend to stop lifting weights when it gets hard, which is where form and diet make a big difference, and is where you actually get stronger. Overcooking volume or trying to be "dynamic" for the sake of it happens a lot. You can be dynamic with back squats, deadlift, bench and overhead press as all you do (two eccentric, two concentric compound lifts for upper/lower).

As for CV vs resistance, aiming to get stronger and lighter at the same time is impossible - if you get stronger your body will recompose to a higher % of muscle vs fat, and if you want to just lose fat and get lighter then you're burning excess stored mass, which isn't a state where you can get stronger. A lot of people spend their time in the gym spinning their wheels, it's worth reading around it a little bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, I didn't mean for him to use weights with the BOSU. But I still think they help balance.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, oh okay, some absolute mentalists advocate actual weights on instable surfaces. I don't know much about plyo/balance type stuff, besides it's not my strong point Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC,

Isn't there two types of strength though? I'm way more intrested in endurance and preventing injury that I am building large muscles. I do pretty much all my resistance work (which is mostly body weight stuff) in order to ski better, manage tough hikes etc and be less likely to injure myself generally. This is increasingly important as you get older. Its also fairly important for females my age to do weight bearing excercise to prevent bone loss. And high weight small reps doesn't do this i don't think? Plus I still think the cardio is good for cv health and for feeling better. So what I am saying is that if you want to build large muscle quickly your approach is best; but that's not everyones goal.

SO a lot of what you say comes from the minimal do as much as you need to build big muscle approach (you say very simialr stuff to Tim Ferris in his 4 hr body book, but then he's spent years as a body builder).

I think that's where the BOSU comes in ; it does improve balance which can help prevent injury; it can train your brain to adapt quicker and make injury less likely
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kettle bell routines , upto 24kg work really well for legs and core
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC, I must be a mentalist as I do quite a lot of work using weights on a BOSU! I find it works really well for my sailing which is by it's nature exercise on an unstable surface!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
glp9, yep. If you can find any research that justifies precarious weirdness to strain stablizing muscles instead of just straining them safely with more work effort I'd be interested, but that's the gist of why it's weird.

gryphea, muscle gain is directly related to calorific intake - you're pretty much talking about cardio with weights. You can do high (relative to your current strength) weight small rep lifts to maintain body mass as long as you're eating equal to your calorific requirements (or less). Working on balance is fine, do yoga or plyo or something, learn to slackline. Doing it in resistance training is like jogging for leg power.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Proprioception- its about develoing neuromuscular to prevent injury. lots of scholalry articles.

PS. Should state trainer told me the stuff about cv. it doesn't reflect what I do.

Anyway I continue to do what physio has told me and I see untold benefits. Here they do kinesiology degrees before their phsio degree.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski wrote:
Last night at gym-
Leg press machine (squats) 3 sets of 12 reps. (Fully loaded on set 3)
Leg curl machine 3 sets of 12
Leg extension 3 sets of 12

Lunges with dumbells 3 sets of 20 (10 per leg)

Session also included arms, chest, abs and 25mins fairly hard CV work.

Dynamic enough? Cool

So does that mean you'll be ready and up for some big carves this time wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy