Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden WC - when do the teams arrive?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know when the teams start arriving in Solden for the WC on the 28th?

I'm there for a few days (18th-22nd)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scooby_simon, probably around the 23rd wink not 100% sure but probably only 2-3 days before as most will be at training bases until then
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Colin, was hoping it would be after we left!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Part of the Rettenbach Glacier will already be closed off as part of the piste preparation for the races. The remaining third of the icefall down to the stadium is fun when there are not many people on it, but blue murder if it is busy!

Some teams maybe there in the week you are there. Bode Miller for example is a "poster boy" for Sölden and uses it as a training base while getting his European ski legs back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends. Some come way early and are there training on Icebox for week before, others come late. But everyone are there at least on Thursday afternoon (this year it's 24.10.), when most of media stuff is done.
As far as skiing goesn, Rettenbach is more or less useless for skiing. Icebox is injected, WC course is closed for week before race (at least), and top of Rettenbach is full of gates. Other side (Tiefenbach) on the other hand is empty and you can ski there as much as you want.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think they still need a good dump of the white stuff. I'm sure they'll get some in the next few weeks but it is squeaky bum time for the organisers. You can always tell it's iffy because the Rettenbach webcams seem to be out of order.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
primoz, saw a pic of the bottom section last week and it looked unskiable. Is it OK?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's still some time, but at the moment... no it doesn't look ok, yet I would still say it looks better then at same time last year. But let's wait and see. I hope races will go through, and I can go and get few runs on Friday morning Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a picture on Ski Chrono.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This links to the Sölden Live Cams: http://www.soelden.com/main/DE/SD/WI/Wetter/livecams/index.html

The Rettenbach is looking better than it was but the Tiefenbach looks really bad still. Still quite a lot can happen in the next 2 weeks or so.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some Racers are training on their at the moment. Klaus Kroll was their on Tuesday...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spud, LB will be training there tomorrow for 5 days, I will get him to have a look about and give us an update. He did say last week when he was up there one of the training lanes they often used has been closed indefinitely due to a recent rockslide?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scooby_simon, Looks like the majority of the Austrian ski team at least are training there at the moment. I've just seen a picture of Benni Raich and Marlies Schild training there. Nice picture too! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers kooky, Lets hope for some more snow though. Wonder what caused the rock slide....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LBs report from today, snow was fine, although not enough, there was a sprinkle overnight.
The actual glacier is in really bad nick, very sparse in places and he said there was such a poor cover on the actual WC track it seemed much steeper and there was not the usual snow "cushion" to levy out the change from where they go down into the steep. The top schlepp lift is still closed due to the rock slide, they don´t know when it will re open.
ski holidays
Looking a bit better this morning... http://instagram.com/p/QgvwarMmVo/
latest report
kooky, do you know exactly which Schlepplift is out? Is it the one on the left linking back to the Tiefenbach as that will be a real PITA is it is still out on race weekend.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Iwill ask LB again tonight, he is so flipping vague, this is the person who has trained for 10 years at Kitz and still calls the Keeslift "that one in the middle" !!!
From his discriptions, it is the one as you stand in the carpark of the zielhang, looking way up it´s the one on the far left, it´s the one the men use to train on when the women are racing, and yes it will be a PITA as the only way down is via the main run.
ski holidays
Perhaps it's a bloke thing... I never take notice of the names of pistes or Lifts either. Which is quiet embarrassing when you're Instructing and people ask Embarassed
ski holidays
spud, Laughing I always orientate myself, unsurprisingly really, but which huts and bars are on the run!
ski holidays
That's what i do too... Laughing

Although i did get a group slightly lost last year after taking the wrong piste...a group of trees looked exactly like some others that were near the piste we needed to get back Embarassed I had to guide them through some steep mogul field, which was the only way back...lesson learned big time. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

a group of trees looked exactly like some others that were near the piste we needed to get back

Jagatee has that effect
Twisted Evil

Ok, the broken schlepplift is the Seiterjoch.
LB said the snowguns are on full blast up there today, he has taken a few pics so I will try and upload one later Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
spud, Laughing I always orientate myself, unsurprisingly really, but which huts and bars are on the run!

But up on Rettenbach you have a bit of problems, since there's not too many of them Laughing
latest report
primoz, that´s why I don´t ski in Sölden wink
snow conditions
That's why you don't know which lift he meant even though he probably told you quite clearly it's "that one there" NehNeh
snow report
primoz, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Bode Miller skips season opener
Updated: October 10, 2012, 1:20 PM ET
Associated Press

Bode Miller is skipping the opening race of the World Cup season to rest his surgically repaired left knee.

Miller's equipment supplier says the skier, who had knee surgery eight months ago, will travel to Soelden, Austria, for training but won't compete in the race on Oct. 28.
latest report
nozawaonsen,You do know he got married a few days ago???? wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode incidentally is 40/1 to win the overall title.

Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 9/4
Ivica Kostelic (CRO) 3/1
Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 4/1

No doubt about the favorite for the women.

Lindsey Vonn (USA) 9/20
Maria Hoefl-Riesch (GER) 7/2
Tina Maze (SLO) 6/1
ski holidays
kooky wrote:
nozawaonsen,You do know he got married a few days ago???? wink Laughing

Very pretty his bride was too.

Back to the knee.

"Miller said his surgeon “went in” to the knee again last week with a camera and reported the surfaces all look great, “But,” Miller said, “it hurt a bunch when I skied. Right now the biggest concern is the injury healing so that my knee works perfectly the rest of my life.”

He said he would continue through the preparation period as if he would ski in every race, but said it was also possible he wouldn't ski in any.

“I never hide this stuff. I don't know if I'm going to race every race, or none. I'm preparing as if I would ski them all, but doing it without putting stress on the joint. I've had seasons where I didn't put my downhill skis on at all until we got to Lake Louise.”

In short, until the doctors tell him all risk has passed, he doesn't anticipate skiing in competition."
skiracing.com
latest report
kooky, Your not jealous are you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
briand6868, moi? Blush

This is quite funny, Bode and his beautiful bride, she said through clenched teeth

http://youtube.com/v/Uyiegoq6S70
ski holidays
Looking a lot better... http://instagram.com/p/QrV_iCsmTk/
snow report
Samerberg Sue, LB is up there again all this week training, apparently the schlepplift has now been mended as is working again, also he said the snow is pretty soft.
snow report
kooky, yep I saw that the lift was back in action.

But looking at the web cams, there is nowhere near as much snow as there was last year or the year before that. They have had to truck in the snow for the finish in front of the stadium for example. Take a look at the Tiefenbach cameras and you will see what I mean - the red back (Piste 36?) down to the car park from the top of that drag lift is just a very thin white band with loads of stones too close for comfort!

I'm probably not going to watch the ladies race (I'm 50% convinced it may be cancelled as the forecast is looking bad for visibility on Saturday), but the Men's race looks to be a better option but I won't ski I'll just go up to watch in the Zielbereich. snowHead
ski holidays
kooky, the new site for Fantasy Racer is up and running - shall we organise a new team for this season?
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I'm 50% convinced it may be cancelled as the forecast is looking bad for visibility on Saturday

It's not going to be canceled, since that would mean, I will be standing out on hill for hours for nothing, since I doubt they would cancel it before I would head out around 7:30. So no, it's not gonna be canceled... better not!
snow report
primoz, take a look at the weather forecast for Saturday snowHead And then wrap up warm wink I hope it will only be delayed not cancelled.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, New team - count me in please. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I know what you mean about the stones, LB said as he was following his trainer back down after training there were sparks flying off his skis Shocked

Yeah count me and LB in , if you are organizing it wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy