Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing you and yours...

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about buying a mini waxing kit or something similar for the season. Watched countless videos online about how to go about it and feel confident it won't present major problems if I pay attention.

Is it worth buying the quite expensive Dakine package for around a £100 or shall I buy the much cheaper £30ish options available and buy a separate travel iron? Any advice is appreciated here.

After I get the hang of it I will be offering some quick waxing services to guests in my chalet for cheap. Has anyone come across Chalet Managers/Hosts offering this service and at what price they charged?

I'm also thinking about edging but at present, think I should start slowly.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parkesy, If I can do it, and i can, then anyone can do it.

It's really easy.

I reckon if you charged your punters €10 per job they'd be happy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
with a cheap iron the temp control can be less accurate... it will work fine, it's what I use... but if you are going to be doing other peoples kit I would probably fork out for the more accurate iron...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
II, Yep - used a 10e travel iron for a few years but when briand6868 jnr started racing for 40e got a proper Holmenkol iron which is superb and well worth the extra 30e. You will pay a lot more in compo if you damage a punters kit. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parkesy, Having done what your thinking of offering wax and edge, it takes far longer than you think, due to wet skis, unexpected work on near right offs etc, I found a van which collected from all the shops picked up mine and back first thing, we split the cash, not much more than you are thinking of charging for a wax and edge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find waxing and edging quite therapeutic, and enjoyed my times as a ski tech, but I wouldn't want to do it under time pressure when there's other things needing doing. As said, a punter is most likely to want servicing done when SERVICING needs done and then it takes twice as long as you expected.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parkesy, go to www.jonsskituning.co.uk but think about the time its going to take to do a wax, asCynic, said your punters may be looking for a bit more than a wax, get a proper iron, also get up to Jon's and learn how to do it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parkesy, Another vote for jons ski tuning. I know Jon well; trust me,he knows his stuff. Some good guidence on his website, and he does a DVD guide or, even better, go to his place for a tuning lesson(you will not be disappointed) Very Happy

As someone who's been doing it for years,trust me,there's a load of bull talked about the subject! Its not a black art,far from it. Yes,it gets a bit tricky with base repairs,and really poor skis but,essentially,its easy. Get a decent iron with temp control,a few basic tools,and a good pair of vices(this is the most expensive item),and youre off. My opinion,don't do it cheap! If you are offering it in chalet,most punters will go for it out of convenience..and to avoid romping their skis to the local hire shop.Just check out local prices,and go with that.Mostly,I imagine,you will be doing mid week waxes,and a bit of an edge tune? A couple of passes with a diamond file,hot wax,scrape and brush...job done.If anyone presents a real nasty(core shot/ripped edge etc),send them to the local ski shop. I've often done mine mid week,in the bedroom.Quick swipe of the file,thin wax coat...and I don't bother scraping etc;the first run of the day does it for me wink

Keep it simple,be realistic about the number of skis you can do(its hard work),speak to Jon...and you will be sorted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some great advice here guys. Really appreciate it.

The chalet(s) which I will run have a boot/tuning room with vices which is a big plus. They don't offer that service and I checked with the owner that if I was to do it, that its fine by him. I think I will look into this properly like you say. Will save me money long term and may even make a few euros in the process, even if its just a bit if beer money...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parkesy,

Go on Jon's course, then you won't feel bad about pestering him with all those awkward questions till you get the hang of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Um, the last edge and wax I had in a shop was in Les Arcs last year. It cost 10euro and it was a good job. My son thinks to properly edge and wax his skis by hand takes about an hour. I am not so fastidious. Clearly you are not going to undercut the shops and their machines, but you could offer a careful hand job for which people may be willing to pay more and let them watch you do it. Depending on conditions I think it is the edge sharpening that people are going to want.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

but you could offer a careful hand job

This I see as having far more potential as a money making idea.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

but you could offer a careful hand job

This I see as having far more potential as a money making idea.

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing

Doubt there is a course for that...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Jon - just been on his course and it was very interesting including information it would have been very difficult to pick up elsewhere. He also sells all the kits and or iron/vices.
latest report
parkesy, that's a really good idea. Edging and waxing is really easy (ok; really, really easy) and doesn't cost you too much to do.

Have a look round resort, or even shops in the UK, to get a feel for current market costs and charge the same. Snow and Rock charge £22 for this. You could add in base repairs too, it's only slightly more tricky than waxing wink

You could also do your clients a big favour by telling them not to have the bases ground every year and only to bother about base repairs if there's a core shot.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy