Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHISTLER v TIGNES

Poster: A snowHead
Could someone whom have been to both of the above make positive / negative comments on the two resorts, mainly skiing but also the all round experiences of a week / two week ski holiday.

Would you repeat one of these or go for an alternative at Christmas / New Year or February Half Term
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I promised I wouldn't mention the rain in Whistler but it's a long way to go if it's not a good season and mine wasn't

Tignes a moonscape of ski stations with very good skiing particularly off-piste, some to walk to that is as good as anything Whistler offers. I would never go to Whistler again instead of Tignes. Tignes le Lac has the best IMO bars, cafe and fine dining as they put it in Whistler but a true skiers resort with little for the non skier apart from pools and skating. You'll love it, although I'd go across the mountain to its twin and stay in Val d'Isere more of a resort and you can ski to Tignes in 20 minutes. Killy Espace very difficult to beat it's a short flight away, and I've never known it to pour with rain (particularly for 5 days) ever !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not been to Whistler (I here mixed reviews about it), but Tignes is a great place! Val probably is better if you want loads of bars etc. But Tignes Le Lac has a few good spots for apres (marmot bar and loop bar are particularly good), and the skiing on the Tignes side is much better IMO. A lot of the accommodation in Le Lac is ski in/out, or at least very close to the door.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

View of Tignes Val Claret in Feb this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma,I have skied both and in all honesty they are both pretty good and I would not say you should definately choose one over the other.

As far as Cynics point goes
Either can suffer from bad snow as can most resorts the worst conditions I have ever had on a ski holiday was in Tignes though that was in the years before snow making was installed. You could not ski back to the resort on the main rum from the glacier. THis would be rarer than rain in Whistler but storm conditions can make Tignes a resort with no trees a little bleak and unpleasant.

Along with its maritime climate which sometimes brings rain it frequently brings snow at altitude and you are more likely to get fresh snow in Whistler than Tignes.

Tignes does have excellent off piste though it suffers from its popularity and gets more heavily skied than just about any resort I know.Whistler is probably a more attractive town than Tignes which is a little bleak though it is not cheap. The food on the mountain in Whistler is generally poor cafeteria style eating and the lift hours are shorter than in Europe meaning that if you want to eat a relaxed lunch you sacrifice a higher proprtion of the skiing day.
In my expereince quality of accommodation is generally a fair bit higher in Whistler than in Tignes.
One thing I wold not underestimate if you are a sufferer is jet lag. As far as the skiing is concerned it makes little difference as you tend not to be tires at this time but the first couple of days you won't enjoy the apres if that is important. On your return you will suffer for a while, it is the latter that and the expense that stops me skiing in NNorth America more often for a one week holiday I just find it is not worth it. For two weeks maybe.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Both good, bad or indifferent depending on snow conditions, weather especially high winds & storms, crowds and personal preferences re dining and nightlife. I've skied Whistler at Xmas a couple of times and it's been fun, not done Tignes at the same time. AIUI both get pretty busy peak Feb weeks. AFAIK you can't get a Saltspring Island lambburger in Tignes and they are yummy (particularly with Alfalfa) but then Tartiflette ain't great shakes in Canada.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1969jma, what's your ability level?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
town: whistler > tignes (by a country mile)

terrain: tignes > whistler (just but whistler much better for trees)

snow: whistler > tignes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, but perhaps town Val d'Isere > Whistler?

If you want off piste which is avalanche controlled then Whistler has it, but it skies out extremely quickly (half a day). But if you want a huge off piste area which allows you to find un-skied snow long after (but perhaps with a guide) then you want Tignes/Val d'Isere.
By the way, if "steep and deep" interests you and you decide on Whistler I can recommend Extremely Canadian, which will put you in with a group of your own standard. For Val d'Isere off-piste it would be Alpine Experience or TopSki (The former if you are an off-piste beginner).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
Arno, but perhaps town Val d'Isere > Whistler?

pretty close I would say. for eating out I'd probably choose Whislter; for boozing and attractiveness I'd choose Val

one more thing:

on hill dining: espace killy >>>>>>>> whistler (unless you only eat pizza and burgers)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1969jma, Never been to Whistler but have been to Tignes/ Val many times, skied EK 20+ weeks and have no desire to go to Whistler, heard too many bad things about it and if I'm going to US/ Canada I'd be going to Colorado, Utah, Catskills or Alaska, however not Whistler. If I was going that far I'd be looking for better surety of Pow than Whistler/ Blackcomb appears to offer.

Tignes is absolutely brilliant skiing, I much prefer it there to its swanky neighbour, less crowded, less Henrys and above all some great OP opportunities. Want to go back to Tignes, maybe late 2013 for a pre Xmas long weekend (best time to go IMO), major downfall for me is accommodation quality/ generally poor vfm small sizes and overpriced, lack of service culture (restaurants/ WC's/ bars), lift investment needed, and long transfer time from GVA. Until the service issue is sorted I vowed when last there 3 years ago I'd not return however was looking at my OP notes/ guide book last night ironically and am starting to think about Aeroski options, Aguille du Percie, Sache and Col Du Vez again, however would go self catering or B&B small hotel down the valley (Les Boisses/ Le Brev), do picnic lunches and drive down there, odd pizza at Tignes Le Brev however French tolls are again a major put-off. We tend to head east to Austria these days, for me the mega French resorts dont have the same pull they used to back in the 90's and early 00's, and as long as they are rammed with Brits the service wont improve, guess the Architecture wont change, neither will the 2€ toilet culture but the snow can't be ignored! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
1969jma, Never been to Whistler but have been to Tignes/ Val many times, skied EK 20+ weeks and have no desire to go to Whistler, heard too many bad things about it and if I'm going to US/ Canada I'd be going to Colorado, Utah, Catskills or Alaska, however not Whistler. If I was going that far I'd be looking for better surety of Pow than Whistler/ Blackcomb appears to offer.

wink

Catskills? Are you mental? Or is that a cunning Blackadder style trap?

For all the jive that's talked about Whistler it is a class act and if the weather is in your favour probably the best single introduction to N American skiing you could get for variety, gnarl, bars and clubs,dining options etc etc. There's a reason so many pros make the area their base, though to be fair a lot seem to sledneck out of Pemberton these days.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, There is a service culture in many Tignes establishments you just have to ask the expats where to go. Never paid for a p££ p££ yet! Also not sure about your lift investment point - on average Tignes has had a new 4/6/8 high speed chailift a year for the last 10. I rarely see a queue over 5 minutes even in high season (again knowing how the resort flows helps I admit). Looking forward to a new Aeroski next year as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, x2. The whistler rain thing is way overstated IMV. if it is raining in the village it is almost always dumping in the alpine. it does snow a lot so you have to get used to skiing in bad vis and having your apres ski indoors rather than on deckchairs, but it's a pretty cool place if you ask me
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like Tignes, but I love Whistler! Would go more often if not for the journey time...

Not as much sun, for sure, but rain at resort level usually means lovely powder high up Happy

Also better mountain food and service with a smile wherever you go (unlike the sometimes grumpy French...)
ski holidays
Quote:

Catskills? Are you mental?

fatbob, Good shout, soz a typo, got distracted whilst doing the previous post.............. meant to say Cat skiing in Revelstoke/ Kamloops as in this:-

http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/lessons-activities/cat-skiing-at-rmr

Looks really tasty.

chocksaway, Granted local knowleadge is everything and I reckon I know how the resort flows but not every watering-hole! re P€€ p€€'s it is possible I agree to get a free one, but when eating and then being charged its an insult! Re lift system I've seen a new lift every year i've been there, granted but in a resort the size of EK thats not that great IMO, eg; still painfully slow getting up to Aguille de Percee and back up from Les Boisses unless things have changed drastically in last 2-3 years since I was there?
snow conditions
stephen buck wrote:
I like Tignes, but I love Whistler! .........

Also better mountain food and service with a smile wherever you go (unlike the sometimes grumpy French...)

Arno wrote:
on hill dining: espace killy >>>>>>>> whistler (unless you only eat pizza and burgers)

Big difference of opinion here!
I agree with Arno. (He had been using the mathematical > sign: meaning "greater than", or in this context, I assume "better than"- so presumably with 8 of them: "much better than").
ski holidays
Markymark29, You'll enjoy the new Boisse gondola then - which was to be fair put in ahead of all the new accommodation being built as we type. There was/is/wil be a new a plan for the A-P sector as well but there is a lot of village and National Park politics to negotiate. Basically its a one out one in policy - it was all worked out until ESF stuck their oar in and quite a lot was delayed.

PS Where are you in God's own county I've just moved back - PM me if you want Laughing
ski holidays
40 days skied at Whistler this year almost all on 128 Redeemers - either:
a. they are really good water skis for all the rain cynic says we have.
b. I just like skiing scoured ice on fat rockered skis
c. It snows quite a lot, BC inbounds off-piste/ slack-country skiing is almost unbeatable, and I want the right tools for the job

(PS. I don't like stopping for lunch anyway! wink)
ski holidays
snowball,
Quote:

But if you want a huge off piste area which allows you to find un-skied snow long after (but perhaps with a guide) then you want Tignes/Val d'Isere.

Mmmm perhaps, I think the off piste gets tracked pretty quickly. I was speaking to a guide in one of the companies you recommend and he was bemoaning the fact that compared with other alpine resorts the off piste gets tracked a lot quicker than everywhere else and that it was difficult to find safe untracked snow for his clients.
latest report
T Bar, guide needs to get the sand out of his front bottom..... or work a bit harder. Popular resort = lots of people go there = more people wanting to access pow. He could go to back of beyond resort and then be complaining about not having punters at all.
snow report
fatbob, He was there because that is where the work is and recognises that, it was not a major whinge just a statement that inspite of knowing the resort very well its popularity is such that safe untracked is difficult to find.
ski holidays
If you have plenty of time to live .... go to both!
snow report
T Bar, Yup that and more clued up punters using guides to suss out the routes then being confident enough to tackle them themselves. Always strikes me guiding in a busy resort is a bit of a nightmare - loose cannons who might not have any snowcraft possibly above you, randoms just trying to tag along from a distance and punters to keep happy who don't want to be taken somewhere that's been skied by dozens before.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
[
Mmmm perhaps, I think the off piste gets tracked pretty quickly. I was speaking to a guide in one of the companies you recommend and he was bemoaning the fact that compared with other alpine resorts the off piste gets tracked a lot quicker than everywhere else and that it was difficult to find safe untracked snow for his clients.

Perhaps, compared to other Alpine resorts, where you expect a guide to find you fresh tracks a week or more after the last snow. Chamonix is similar. But half a day after snow in Whistler (in some prime areas an hour after) there is no powder left. It wasn't till I went accross the pond that I understood the saying "There are no friends on a powder day".
ski holidays
From what I can see we are talking about getting to either resort from the UK? There may be a cost/time/environmental impact element worth considering too here - just a dumb thought wink
snow report
snowball wrote:
T Bar wrote:
[

Perhaps, compared to other Alpine resorts, where you expect a guide to find you fresh tracks a week or more after the last snow. Chamonix is similar. But half a day after snow in Whistler (in some prime areas an hour after) there is no powder left. It wasn't till I went accross the pond that I understood the saying "There are no friends on a powder day".

Surely the Whistler area 'out-of-bounds' is just as expansive as alpine resorts? Or is going out of bounds not allowed, at all?
latest report
clarky999, probably more so in the sense that you can literally go 100s of kms before the next resort unlike anywhere in the Alps. That said, that aspect makes it a little less user friendly than many European places, and much of it requires a bit more effort to find than, say, stepping off the La Grave gondola
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, No it's fine - just you can get a long way into drainages away from easy routes out to civilisation quite quickly and obviously WB don't like to big it up too much. Most of the more obvious stuff with easy traverses back is skied extensively.

The whole N American experience is heavily influenced by a lot of very good skiers and boarders who know every inch of inbounds terrain and their "go to" places on a powder day, so almost inevitably as a tourist you're never going to get the absolute cream of the crop in inbounds goods. At least in Whistler because of geography you have the option to stand in line for a chair to open after the storm closure of the Alpine to get that adrenaline charged first run, pursued of course by all the others standing in the line.

Similarly like Chamonix etc for those that are prepared to work for it, and have the balls/skill they can get to places that the 99% can't or won't.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:

Surely the Whistler area 'out-of-bounds' is just as expansive as alpine resorts? Or is going out of bounds not allowed, at all?

Yes, it is allowed, but in my (limited) experience there isn't much unless you are prepared to skin a lot.
snow report
Cool, cheers!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy