Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines or St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for everybody's thought and contributions on my previous thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91517&highlight=&sid=1db0cce810948212f2878af1a3e56785. Unfortunately despite a fair bit of research and requests to accomodation providers it seems Austria is not going to work for us for this trip. The round trip driving including visiting in-laws in Germany is no better than northern France and I think France suits us better accomodation/skiing/budget wise right now.

We haven't skied the northern French Alps too much but we've been looking at Les Contamines. The ski area seems a similar size to where we skied at Easter, La Norma, around 110/120km. So stretchable for a week with plenty of repitition? It looks like there is some fairly stiff piste skiing and a bit of accessible off piste?

We have been looking at apartments opposite the Montjoe cable car. So no buses or driving involved. And I believe you can ski back down at most times? There appears to be plenty of 'rabbit hutches' available in the 350 to 400 Euros price range.

Lack of tree skiing a little bit of a concern giving it will be christmas when there is often a snowy or misty day or three. Would I be right in saying we may be struggling in bad weather, slopes are exposed? Which way do they face mostly?

So anyway, I am conscious that just up the road there is St Gervais. A very brief look suggests similar accommodation options (thinking Le Bettex for ski/ski out). So I was just wondering how it might compare to Les Contamines. It seems a much bigger ski area if it is fully interlinked. I can't quite tell if the hill about Megeve is fully interlinked, it looks like you may have to lift it one way, though probably no big hardship.

So could you good folks shed some more light on Les Contamines and/or St Gervais and their relative merits. Anywhere I might be going wrong in my thinking above. Les Contamines perhaps smaller but more challenging? Really appreciate any thoughts on the two.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't be too unhappy with either. Les C has a lot of variety for its size but decent skiers will be repeating stuff if you're there for a full week - bothers some people, I know. I wouldn't get too excited about the ski down to base at Les C - its a bit of an icey track. Ski it once so you can say you've done it then download in future (unless you are one of those people who compulsively will not download.)
St Gervais is a much bigger interlinked area so if you like travel (and can read a piste map well!), it would be a good choice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree entirely with Arno about Les C - especially not bothering with the icy track. St Gervais town is attractive and interesting - a real place. But you might struggle to find accommodation quite so close to a good lift. You can't ski to the south side of the road in Megeve, but there are frequent buses and it's well worth going over there if the weather is conducive (can lose its snow a bit quicker, over there, if it's not).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can not lie - I am a bit compulsive about not downloading Embarassed. I think part of it is rooted in the wish to be staying on the mountain rather than a town near the mountain. And part of it is rooted in a bloody mindedness to be on ski's for as long as possible each day! Anyhow. it's a bit of a downer to hear it's a bit of grim ski down to Les Contamines.

pam w, I also remember you saying in another thread that the skiing on the Belleville side was a bit samey also. Would that be the case? Veleray seems very isolated, does it easily close? Just wondering if Contamines is more of a day trip than a weeker. I don't mind repitition but you can take these things too far.

In regard of staying in St Gervais. Was looking to stay at Le Bettex which I believe from a trip report on here would be a good ski in/ski out location. I am not bothered about being in the town itself.

Regarding connecting to the south side of Megeve. Doesn't the gondola Rocharbons do the job?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne, yes, the Belleville side is a bit samey, to tell the truth. Veleray is closed sometimes - yes. Less dependable snow cover than other parts of the domaine. There's certainly more scope in Megeve. The Rochebrune gondola goes to Rochebrune; I was thinking of the Combloux/La Giettaz side, which is very nice but definitely means crossing the Val D'Arly road and that can't be done on skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne, assuming you have a car, you could stay at either place and ski the other Smile

I can recommend this apartment, in Les C, stayed there this summer. http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/fr4694.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,
Quote:
I was thinking of the Combloux/La Giettaz side, which is very nice but definitely means crossing the Val D'Arly road and that can't be done on skis.

Ah, with you.

kitenski,
Quote:
assuming you have a car, you could stay at either place and ski the other

We do have a car and so can but looking to avoid car use because of young children. And even then would want to stay where we want to ski most.

At the minute I am thinking St Gervais (staying Le Bettex) is the better option for us, simply on account it seems to have more skiing for a week. On the other hand I am wondering if I am underselling Les C. Dilemma's, dilemma's.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne, if you can't bear to go anywhere where you are likely to be downloading in a gondola (which cuts out great swathes of the world's ski resorts.....) then best go to Le Bettex. I like Les C but the St Gervais/Megeve area does have a whole heap more skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are pros and cons for both areas Contamine is more snow sure it is higher and the pistes have a better aspect true there is not a lot of tree sking the run down from montjoie is a track ( with snow making) there is some quite extensive off piste in contamine. St Gervais/ megeve has 3 times the amount of piste if you stay in st Gervais you will almost certainley have to use the gondola down from Bettex i have an apartment in contamine. If you are taking the car stay in contamine or st gervais buy an evaison pass and you will be able to ski both.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne, I am a huge St G fan and do know of a 4 bedroom chalet directly across the road from the gondola station - we stayed there a couple of years ago. I believe it's possible in the right conditions (i.e lots of fresh snow) to ski down a route which becomes tracked and skiable but isn't a piste, into the back garden of the chalet. That apparently involved cutting across a neighbour's garden and - as I didn't fancy the potential of upsetting said neighbour - I didn't do it. In reality, downloading really wasn't a big deal as the base station is so close. If of any interest, drop me a line - it was a good price and although not luxurious, it is comfy enough and the location made up for the lack of chocolates on the pillow (it's s/c too, so I'd have to have placed them myself Laughing )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At Christmas which I think is when you are planning, there is more chance of finding a cat in hell that skiing the St Gervais 'home run' - In fact I doubt it is oficially open for more than a fortnight most seasons and even when open is generally bloody horrible.

Be very, very, very,very careful with your accommodation choice in Bettex if ski out convenience is a priority - almost all the apartments are below the gondola and will involve either an uphill trudge of significance and/or tackling the steps up to the gondola arrival. There are a few apartments that back onto Poue Blanche ( a short but often thinly covered/icy green) that connect to either the Mont Rosset chair - assuming that it is open for Xmas week - it wasn't the year before last. or back to the main Bettex 'plateau' but MOST of the apartments that call themselves Le Bettex and ski in/out really are not.

Honestly, in St Gervais it is MUCH easier to stay in the Panorama, Chatelain or something that begins with a W apartments which are virtually in the gondola car park or stay in the town and use the regular bus which will not be busy and will be a breeze by comparison.

The skiing in Les Contamines is definitely more challenging that the most part of St Gervais, although St Nicolas and over the top of Mont Joux and Mont Joly are more so.

Like Anniepen, I know and love St Gervais well and am happy to answer any questions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brock, I think you've persuaded us to go to Contamine. Toofy Grin

kitenski, that apartment looks good value. It's a bit more than we need unfortunately and I am not sure I can persuade anyone to tag along with me and the kids. But we've seen others that seem to do the trick.

pam w,
Quote:
if you can't bear to go anywhere where you are likely to be downloading in a gondola (which cuts out great swathes of the world's ski resorts.....)
well I've managed for the large part up to now Very Happy But seriously, I can stay at Oz-en-Oisan or Les Coches for example, walk out the door 50 metres, hop straight on a bubble or chair and be skiing in 5 minutes. At the other end of the day I can ski literally to the door down a slope I can enjoy skiing. Oz and Les Coches are perfectly nice small towns, the skiing great and the accommodation, compact, bijou and fairly cheap. So it's a formula that works well for me. The only downside and the only reason we've been looking at smaller resorts in France is because the lift pass is cheaper and the accommodation a tad cheaper. And with our kids so young it's a good opportunity to try them out. In terms of the skiing I've always enjoyed skiing in Austria (and Chamonix) despite the buses or driving but I had no kids, and in the case of Austria the accommodation was mostly funded by my in-laws. But even then there is no doubt I could live without the palaver.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne, some friends stayed in another one that had one room with a bunk bed and a pull out sofa in the main room, I think that was around 150 euros a week, I can get the link off them if you wish?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, how competent are your kids? they'd need to be good to do that icy track. It has a sign at the top warning off all but strong skiers. Skullie I found it quite challenging - it was narrow, icy and had some impressive drop offs. Three very fat and not at all competent guys were skiing below me, all over the place and I felt I couldn't safely overtake them, so I had to go all the way quite slowly, and it was hard work.

I always go to Les C from the Belleville side and have only once bothered to ski down to the bottom, when I'd left a wallet in a mountain resto and it had been sent down to Lost Property. I wouldn't bother to repeat the experience - I never bother with the bit below the middle gondola station. I think the best bits are all at the top though there are perhaps some hidden gems which I've never discovered. It's not that much higher than the Megeve area - tops out below 2000m. Top runs are east facing and hold the snow very well - I have a friend with a place in Chamonix; they come to Les C when the snow in Chamonix is not so good, or too busy.

My son enjoyed the off-piste there and there are some great long reds.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, yes, please do. Thanks.

pam w, I doubt it will be a problem to the eldest (7yo). The younger (5yo) I'm less sure about, especially as it will be the end of the day. Me or the missus might do a reccy first. Or we might do it early in the day first time when everybody is quite fresh. The worst run home I ever had was going down to Champagny. If I remember it was really rutted and icy for the first half, and slushy cr@p the second half. I lasted about 4 days out of 8 and then resorted to getting the bubble down Sad . Anyhow, we'll see. Obviously I won't drag them down willy nilly. And thanks for the extra information on the resort. I think we've got there in the end Laughing
snow report
I was skiing with a very mixed group of 9 or 10 (ranging from the guy who had lived in Chamonix for 10 years to a very nervous 2nd weeker) in Les Contamines about 5-6 years ago. We were on the cat track home run at the end of the day. Mr Ski God was showing us the way down at a nice gentle pace and I was sweeping up at the back trying to keep the group together. Mr nervous 2nd weaker was 2 ahead with 1 of my mates (a reasonable intermediate) between us. A French buffoon decided that rather than slowing down, he would slalom through the group at very high speed. He passed me in a blur and whizzed through the rest of the group. Mr N2ndW was unable to cope with this oaf zipping past, inches away, at high speed. He snowploughed left into the hillside, bounced off the snow and then started to go backwards, quite slowly at first then faster. He skied backwards over Mr Reasonable Intermediate's skis, just missing him and disappeared between us over the edge, still going backwards! We stopped and gingerly approached the side of the cat track. Mr N2ndW was 70-80 feet below us, leaning against a 5 foot wide tree. He eventually waved back to us that he was OK. We skied down and one of his friends went round the mountain to collect him (we were quite near the bottom when this happened). He'd done 3 cartwheels before managing to stop. The next day he turned up with a helmet but I don't think he actually skied again Shocked

The skiing higher up was very good.
ski holidays
what...snow, Shocked that sounds horrendous. He could have broken his neck!

Apart from the fact that there's a major danger of out of control people on that path, there is a clear sign at the top (or was, the only time I went down there) warning of the difficulty. Frankly, I think taking either small kids or nervous beginners/early intermediates down that track is a bit daft. Anybody could be taken out by somebody who loses control - which doesn't mean skiing stupidly, it can be genuinely difficult. I found it more difficult (and far less enjoyable - in fact it wasn't enjoyable at all) than the Veleray blacks, on the day, because of that "no escape" feeling and being acutely aware that the skiers in front of me were struggling, so I was constantly checking speed to keep well behind them, so I could stop if one of them crashed, then worrying about somebody skiing blithely down behind me. Having only done it once, it might have been a particularly bad day, but then there is that warning sign..... Skullie
snow report
We've skied with both children down narrow sections with drops off before. They scare the hell out of me simply because they are so not scared. I've even stopped them and pointed out the danger. Although like all kids they appear very nonchalent and you wonder if they really do get it or they just don't have the same middle aged fear factor I do. Ah the stresses of parenthood. Sometimes I wonder about even taking them skiing, what if......? But only for a moment.

The worst experience I ever had with them was on a fairly innocuous looking open slope that simply had all the snow brushed and blown off so was smooth it was a nightmare trying to hold an edge. It was like human skittles - fortunately nobody scored too high or got badly hurt. Well not in the few minutes we were on it Evil or Very Mad it was. And I don't want to repeat that in a hurry, with or without kids.

I'll certainly report back on how we got on.
snow report
Layne, If you decide to go to contamine and you do not wish to use the car or navette you should try and stay at Hameaux du Ley it is right next to the main lift station and has a full range of amenities.
ski holidays
having lived and skiied in the area for a few years (just moved to cham) i would actually say that if your looking for somewhere to ski to door and dont want to use your car you really need to be going somewhere else altogether.

The run down to the Le Bettex is as others have said only open for a couple of weeks (maybe a month last season) and for the most of it was a nightmare, avoiding people out of control on the hardpack, stopping to pick up people who were wrapped round tree's or getting hit by people failing to stop at the roads... Not an enjoyable run.

On the opposite side of the coin if you dont travel anywhere, you dont want to get stuck in contamine for the week as it can be cold, bleek with very little visability for any given week. Contaimines also has little ski to door, and if you do ski to door (same as staying the top of the bettex in ST GV) you find yourself with no facilities or places to go of an evening.

There's maybe a bit more in the Ski-too areas's of megeve, but again the main town is a bus ride away...

Otherwise, saint gervais is a fantastic area, less crowded, more piste, more off piste and a better park than a lot of other places you could go

Saying that I'd go to avoriaz if i were you!
ski holidays
brock, yes I am making sure the accommodation is in Ley opposite the gondola. Many thanks.

eddiethebus, my research suggests Hameaux du Ley will have the required facilities we need, which amounts to a bakery and a small supermarket as we are a bit of a sad bunch Laughing We may of course walk or bus it into the village once or twice to have a gander. Thanks for your input.
snow report
Layne, but more importantly will you be teaching your children yourself? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
ansta1, look if your just gonna cause trouble Skullie Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Layne, Sorry couldn't resist digging up the old ones... I'll get back to the bar!
snow conditions
hi Layne, thats cool, as long as your aware! There is a bar opposite at the bottom of the gondola that gets a bit lively, and you can always bus it over to saint gervais on bad weather days Smile
snow conditions
we tend to be over on a thursday night for the floodlit half pipe BTW if you fancy that sort of thing Smile
snow report
Amazing setting/views in both resorts. Quite different from La Norma which our clients also love - ski areas are actually quite a bit larger (La Norma is about 50km whilst Les Contamines is 120km - St Gervais with Megeve is obviously a lot larger). Definitely more choice of modern accommodation in Saint Gervais.
snow conditions
OK. Well the deal is done. We've got a nice little box in Hameaux du Ley 200 metres from the gondola. Bunks for the kids and a nice big sofa bed for mam and dad. Bonus is the block has a pool and sauna! 422 Euros including tourist office booking fee. Their website is actually pretty competent compared to one or two I've used in the past. Eurotunnel also booked with Tesco vouchers.

I believe the sods charge for a lift pass for a 5yo but they do a good family deal. Can anyone confirm?

Also what are the best big supermarket options on the way in?

Oh, and finally are there any picnic huts please?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Also what are the best big supermarket options on the way in?

There is a fairly big Intermarche just after you turn off the Autoroute in Domancy, it is marked on Google Maps. Alternatively the Super-U in Passy or the Carrefour in Sallanches.
latest report
Layne, can i join you for a few nights. I will buy the food and beer whilst i am there, i don't take up much space.
ski holidays
From another thead (which I used when we went there for summer), these directions didn't seem to pan out, but my sat nav POI found it.........

Supermarket: If you want to visit the Carrefour hypermarket in Cluses (open to 8pm most nights, closed Sunday)
Leave Autoroute at J18, SP Scionzier (and Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets), and follow signs for Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets through Cluses onto D902. Turn right at the large roundabout after the bridge and several traffic lights. (Les Gets etc signed left at this roundabout, onto a by-pass). Carrefour is 500 m along this road, on R. On leaving Carrefour, turn R (ie continue along same road) and about 500m further, turn L (SP Taninges, Les Gets, etc). Follow to TL, straight across, and up to small roundabout where you rejoin the bypass route).
snow report
Cheers kitenski, and rjs, will check those out.

ansta1, that's alright with me.. I'll just check with the other half.....

ouch that hurt Shocked
ski holidays
I think Intermarche (nr motorway exit to Saint Gervais) would be sufficient. It also has cheap petrol/diesel.

Cluses would be slightly out of your way unless you are spending week the week before in Grand Massif/Portes du Soleil.
snow conditions
What snowymum, says - We managed on it for 5 months, it will certainly serve you for a week.
snow conditions
Quote:

Oh, and finally are there any picnic huts please?

the big mountain restaurant at Signal, top of the gondola, has a picnic room and is a convenient spot, from which you can head in several directions. Good meeting place, if the family is split up and skiing in different areas.
latest report
Layne, Lift pass deals are here www.lescontamines.net As long as you dont go in the self service bit and buy a drink they dont seem to mind you picnicking in either of the two bars at signal there is also free wifi and computer at both gondola stations as well as the bar du tele at the bottom of the Gondola For ski/ boot hire use the intersport at hameau du ley can be booked on line all speak english and are very helpfull. Sounds like you are staying in the Nevez which is the last part of the complex built. As said before the intermarche just after you turn off the motorway is very good.There is also Quecha store in la fayet just after the intermarche. THere are three smaller supermarkets in the village. If you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy