Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Logic and economics of buying a Snow Pulse

Poster: A snowHead
Hello world.

I am about to take the winter off and spend December/January/February doing a BASI Gap course in Verbier. There will be an off-piste element to this plus it is likely that I will do some off piste skiing at the weekends. From early February, I will more or less be free to ski as I wish until the end of the season.

I was therefore wondering whether you guys think it makes sense to buy a Snow Pulse rather than hire on an ad hoc basis? I don't really know how much daily hire of these things are in resorts but I am fairly certain that I would prefer to have one of these badboys strapped on for all my off piste excursions - whether rented or otherwise. I would expect to be doing quite a bit of off piste stuff in February and March most probably and there is a chance that I may do future seasons or will be spending a good part of the next few years in the mountains.

I have had a look at the other avalanche bags and thing that the design of the Snow Pulse is probably the best. I like the size and look of the Heli 22 as I don't really see myself touring at this stage but would appreciate any thoughts or comments you have in relation to the other bags out there.

Also, I assume that it makes sense to buy a transceiver, shovel and probe?

Thanks in advance for your help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pedalpusher wrote:
Also, I assume that it makes sense to buy a transceiver, shovel and probe?
Yes, buy these before you get an airbag, it's not either/or. Imagine how cross your ski buddies will be if you are not equipped to locate and dig them out when you ski together...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help with the Snow Pulse, but transceiver, shovel & probe are the first purchases you should make.

Then take an avalanche awareness course.

Then find partners to ski with.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once everyone in a group has airbags the shovel probe and transceiver are obsolete? - just a thought.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BertieG wrote:
Once everyone in a group has airbags the shovel probe and transceiver are obsolete? - just a thought.

Um. no.. you're assuming the airbag was deployed and that it worked properly. Every piece of kit adds some additional level of "safety" but none negates any others
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BertieG, no - no guarantee that people will successfully deploy their bag and the bleeper etc are just for finding members of your own crew
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok. Here's a scenario: 2 mates go off piste together and they have a budget of £500 to spend on safety gear. Would you buy the bleeper etc or would you buy an airbag? Purely selfishly the airbag is your best hope assuming you've done all the avalanche training. I wonder what the evidence from the market is; are airbags selling to people without the other kit?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertieG wrote:
Purely selfishly the airbag is your best hope assuming you've done all the avalanche training.

Purely selfishly, if the guy I'm skiing with doesn't have the knowledge and wherewithal to dig me out of an avalanche, I'm not going off touring with him.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BertieG wrote:
Purely selfishly the airbag is your best hope assuming you've done all the avalanche training. I wonder what the evidence from the market is; are airbags selling to people without the other kit?

If someone has done avy training and is thinking in terms of "purely selfishly" I don't want that prick anywhere near me. Tell me waht slopes he's skiing and I'll likely avoid them too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BertieG, in your scenario, mate with airbag fails to deploy it and get's buried, his mate has a transceiver, but he doesn't.................
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serriadh, fatbob, +1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BertieG wrote:

when youre stood at the top of the run and your mates just set off, and been buried nearby as he didnt deploy his bag in time ( which even if you did, doesnt help if you get avalanched over drops or into crevasses, deeper terrain traps),how would you suggest finding him. The false sense of security of these bags is dangerous in itself. Training and more training transceiver shovel probe and more training...... then bag.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-10-12 17:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this is a sad read, but goes to show what the others are saying, bag without transceiver is madness IMHO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
this is a sad read, but goes to show what the others are saying, bag without transceiver is madness IMHO
It is, sadly the chap concerned didn't survive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BertieG wrote:
Ok. Here's a scenario: 2 mates go off piste together and they have a budget of £500 to spend on safety gear. Would you buy the bleeper etc or would you buy an airbag? Purely selfishly the airbag is your best hope assuming you've done all the avalanche training. I wonder what the evidence from the market is; are airbags selling to people without the other kit?

Uninformed posts like the the one above really make me question some of the marketing by ABS who claim a 97%+ survival rate. According to the SLF only about 1/3rd of all avalanche victims will actually be buried - and this figure only includes major cases that are actually reported to the institute..... For ABS to then claim that 97% of people who had to pull the trigger 'remained on top' is simply misleading and somewhat irresponsible... (on average at least 1/3rd of those would not have been buried anyway!)

I don't deny that an airbag increases your chances - but it certainly doesn't make you invincible, as already mentioned above.

If you afford and justify £500 for an air bag then clearly £200 for the beacon / shovel & probe (so you can perhaps rescue others!) wont break the bank and will also be considered money well spent.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 1-10-12 17:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, I do wonder the same, and whether they end up being sold to cityboy types as "I want one of those" rather than education and time spent hands on with tranny etc.
snow report
^ Can you imagine a powder day in Verbier / Chamonix where air bags have become compulsory kit for the army of 'wannabe red bull extremos' ? Happy in the knowledge they are '97% safe'... and perhaps about to open a slope directly above you wink

At the end of the day the most important bit of gear to pack 'common sense' (easily left at home or forgotten in the excitement of the powder day, as I have discovered myself!). No shame in not skiing a slope....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 1-10-12 17:52; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Don't let the bag lure you into false sense of security, last time someone inflated an airbag in Verbier he died despite not being buried. Being dragged through rocks might be enough, there are limitations to what the bag can do for you and terrain will decide a lot. Having airbag increases the margin but not being caught in avalanche remains the best bet for survival. It's more important to get transceiver, shovel and probe, and your course is likely to include mountain safety and avalanche awareness.
snow report
"I don't deny that an airbag increases your chances" and that surely is the point. The best defence is training, then not getting buried, if poo-poo happens and someone is buried the odds a really stacked against them so better to have an airbag than not. Who you choose to go with, their equipment and training could be a big factor in survival chances as well.
There is a danger that an airbag gives a false sense of security, but the same could be said of bleepers, probes etc.
It would be best for safety if the only people who went off piste had years of training and 30 ltr rucksacks full of safety gear but the reality is all that tempting fluffy white stuff beside the piste. There is a real danger that I might start yearning for the old days with skinny skis before snowboards which kept most of the skiers on the piste. Going back to the OP pedalpusher would be better with an airbag than without one.
ski holidays
Quote:

I am about to take the winter off and spend December/January/February doing a BASI Gap course in Verbier. There will be an off-piste element to this plus it is likely that I will do some off piste skiing at the weekends. From early February, I will more or less be free to ski as I wish until the end of the season.

Two things -

1) By all means get an airbag. I did. It's great. Pound for pound, though Tremper's Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain and the Powderguide book outlining the Munter 3x3 and Reduction Methods (Managing Avalanche Risk) are probably the best money I spent. Tied second place goes to Mountain Tracks advanced course and Stuart MacDonanld's bargain price Avalanche Academy.

2) Discipline. Verbier goes mental on a powder day and things will be skied when they arguably shouldn't. Most of the time the protagonists don't die but the fact that they're still breathing after comitting some piece of stupidity is not an indication that you should follow them. This will frustrate you as it means that getting first tracks on some of the better lines is rare - often things have been tracked to pieces before they are "safe" but that is the nature of the place.
ski holidays
gorilla, good post.
snow report
rob@rar, ditto
snow conditions
[quote="Haggis_TrapAt the end of the day the most important bit of gear to pack 'common sense' quote]

the funny thing about "common sense" is that it's not very common ..
ski holidays
Thanks all for your responses. I should have been clearer re the transceiver, shovel and probe - when asking whether it made sense to buy I meant buy over rent. I will be carrying a beeper, shovel and probe at all times and would expect my companious to do so.

I totally agree that the first line of defence is training and awareness. I will be doing beeper / avalanche / mountain awareness training and most probably buy that gear before heading out there. Burial statistics were very interesting, thanks.

Fundamentally, having an airbag won't increase my risk appetite or make me do things I wouldn't do without one. Also, it should make one more selfish or less likely to look out for their companions.
latest report
^ Safety equipment is best purchased so that you become familiar with it, and it also becomes part of your daily routine.

Playing devils advocate - what factors would make you decide to rent an air bag for the day ? If the risk has become so high that you feel its necessary (for that particular day) then you really should be questioning your decision making first ?

Air bags are a good idea and have saved life's. As prices drop they will become more popular. However something has gone wrong when the general public consider them essential items for 'being safe'.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 2-10-12 10:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gorilla, good post +1 and more from me,

The pressure on even the most experienced skiers to go off piste and get first tracks when its not as safe as it should be has increased significantly over the last few years and to some extent the pressure on the guides has increased as well to take people into situations where they may not have done 10 years ago.

If your off piste you should always have a transceiver shovel and probe, no ifs buts or maybes, I would even go so far as saying that if you have a transceiver then it should be used at ALL times regardless, its a good habit to get into putting it on even if your messing around on piste. I have over the years been on piste with people then they suggest cutting the corner off piste in-between two piste, then to find out they had their transceiver in their back pack. Shocked
snow report
It's a valid point about skiing with a transceiver on-piste too. Don't forget about St Francois-Longchamp last year when that avalanche hit the chair-lift.

It could so easily have ended up with skiers buried.
latest report
[quote="livetoski"]gorilla, good post +1 and more from me,

The pressure on even the most experienced skiers to go off piste and get first tracks when its not as safe as it should be has increased significantly over the last few years and to some extent the pressure on the guides has increased as well to take people into situations where they may not have done 10 years ago.

if skiers want to get first tracks when its not safe then more fool them. They obviously need to do more training. If you are saying they are aware of the dangers and are pushing the boundaries of what they perceive to be safe , then they obviously need more training. If a guide is willing to take me somewhere he wouldnt usually go because of pressure of the group then he needs more training. One thing guides do not do is take people where he/she does not feel it is safe to go even if all the group are baying him/she to do so, even 10 years ago.

marketing and accessibility, increase in numbers off piste etc aside, the above still applies
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy