Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Still haven't booked up....Flaine looks interesting

Poster: A snowHead
2 crabby old crappy adult lower intermediates and two kids (1 with 2 weeks, 1 with one week under belt) looking for week away one week before UK half term (9 Feb 13).

Flaine looks quite interesting and reasonable value for France.

Any Flaine fans or haters out there?

Architecture looks, erm, interesting and some comments on mixed comments on various review sites about crappy lift operators.....

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine has some great skiing with nice long runs, it's an ideal resort for intermediates. It seems to have its own micro-climate which means it has loads more snow than anywhere else (I'm sure someone will be along to say that's utter rubbish!).

Resort is ugly as sin and is absolutely dead in the evenings. There is one bar at the end of the run home with a terrace which is decent for a quiet apres beer.

I stayed at Le Totem, decent Crystal hotel, or was then anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Val Thorens or Les Arcs 1800.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just booked there for kids midterm. Haven't been before, but skiiers consistently say skiing and snow is good there, and I want to try somewhere different. From browsing I would say place is gonna be pretty dead in evenings but probably not going to be issue with us with kids. I'd say give it a go!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree, give it a go, I've been many times (although not in past 5years) and always had a good time/good snow.

Good ski schools for kids (choose wisely though) Toofy Grin

It's bad points are its looks and it is very quiet of an evening.

It's good points are lots of good pisted skiing, pretty good lift system, you can reach some of the other linked villages as a low intermediate and a good snow record. Plus it's a short transfer from Geneva.

Consider where best to stay in the resort depending on what you need. A look at the resort map & lift system should help you decide.

I've always found staff working in the resort friendly towards visitors which you can't say of all resorts!

Mac
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby/ skiing ok, not very pretty, might look reasonable price on the face of it (as long as you go full board) because eating & drinking out really stings, lift passes not cheap either ....mind you I'm a cheapskate and go for lesser known resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Concrete mess, but excellent skiing - more than enough to keep you happy for a week. You can go to Samoens and Les Carroz too and (if the snow is good enough) down to Sixt and Morillons.

However, and not to give the impression that I'm working for the Cervinia Tourist Board, if you are 'crappy adult lower intermediates and two kids' I would have thought that was a better place to try? It's pretty much all easy intermediate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby, Flaine is fine from the ski point of view BUT some accommodation is a trek from lifts - check very carefully, because with kids you want to be right near the ski school meeting place if possible.

I'd agree it's v expensive for eating and drinking (and I spend a lot of time in a French resort not far away!). But if you have an apartment right by the lifts and can pop home for lunch, that would help. I can't remember from your other posts whether you are driving (and could therefore fill up with stuff from a supermarket down in Cluses or Annemasse on the way). But even if you have to buy in resort, lunches in the apartment - baguettes, ham, cheese, fruit etc would be a heap cheaper than eating out.

Unless you want group ski lessons with English kids, Les Saisies would suit you very well. A little further from Geneva but much prettier than Tignes with equally reliable snow. Not party central compared to Val D'Isere, but a great deal livelier than Flaine! Nice stuff for kids, including the Mountain Twister. It's too French to have English speaking groups - and even if the instructor speaks English quite well inevitably most chat will be in French, if all the other kids are French. But private lessons are very good value. Plenty of accommodation available right near the slopes and none of it is far.

Not available from package tour operators, but Peak Retreats and Erna Low have nice apartments. Cheaper apartments available direct.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you tried La Rosiere etc etc etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure you avoid February half term, maybe you should think about Austria instead, blah blah blah.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Piehole, and your point is? You don't think my suggestion is suitable for early intermediates looking for an inexpensive place with good snow and access to easy skiing?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, personally, I think your suggestion is a way better idea than Flaine... snowHead

Also, vacances scolaires don't start until Feb 16th... so the French madness seems to be going to be missed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dobby, we've been a few times (although always late season so can't comment on feb). I like attractive villages usually but actually love Flaine as the skiing is so good. As long as you choose accommodation wisely (there are some good places close to Grands Vans chair in Flaine Foret such as Residence de la Foret P&V but you can book with Erna Low who will price match Very Happy )
I would self cater with one or two nights out max (as there are only a couple of places I would recommend for families) and make sure you shop down in the valley on the way up as the supermarkets are seriously over priced even for a ski resort.
It's perfect for intermediates, and kids seem to love it. Our boys have done a couple of weeks with
http://www.skiflaine.com/skischools.php who they had lots of fun with and were pushed to progress (in a good way!)

Couple of hot lift spots which can be avoided with careful timing. IIRC the links to and from Les Carroz, Samoens etc at the beginning and end of day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ps I've only spent a day in Les Saisies (with excellent guides wink ) but that would be a good option too.

pam w, are you around in Feb (yes we have been forced into a half term ski Shocked )? We will be in La Giettaz as far away from the madding crowd as poss but hope to do a couple of day trips.

I'm sure you won't be, but thought I'd ask Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dobby, I found the skiing in the Flaine bowl very dull, but the rest of the GM area is great...

Last year one of the Flaine gondolas was out of action meaning big queues on t'other one. I'd check they've sorted that out before booking...
snow report
red 27, good point about the gondola - the white bubbles on far side of bowl, sorry can't remember name.

Good thing we all like different things - I think there are some great reds Mephisto, Faust etc Toofy Grin

EDIT pretty sure it was Aup de Veran bubble that was out of action
ski holidays
dobby - We are going to the Grand Massif (les carroz linked to Flaine) for the first time this year. We drove up to Flaine in summer as were in the alps for a couple of weeks, and the village is a bit of a blot when there is no snow covering the concrete! However it did feel very cold even in summer so I'd imagine it is pretty snow sure. Ski area looks great but I'd save it for a couple of year's time and take your kids to a smaller easier resort this time.

I think Pam's suggestion of Les Saisies is a good one. We took our kids there a few years ago (out of school holidays) and they did ESF group lessons which went well. Les Saisies is a pretty resort, very family orientated (mountain twister is fun) and there are lots of wide easy runs near the centre of the resort (plus some harder runs to move on to).

If you do opt for Flaine I would second the suggestion of choosing your accommodation carefully. There are some nicer looking apartments higher up (le hameau de flaine area I think) but they appear cut off from the main village. The other thing we didn't realise until we drove up there is that you come in to the resort at a higher level (1900 maybe) and then drive down to the main part of the village. I'd imagine snow chains would be a necessity. The centre of the resort is car free so check any accommodation you book has an underground parking space if you are driving there.
snow conditions
Thanks all for the suggestions. Am considering La Ros and La Thuile. La Ros does look good from the small resort with some nice easy runs point of view. Last time I went to La Thuile it were a bit windy (I know La Ros can be the same). Pam_w - thanks again for the recommendations - I think the kids would like other English speaking kids around for once (last couple of times in LDA we were out of season and they were the only English speaking kids in the group). Northernsoulboy - when I say crappy, we're not too crappy, just a bit (ski-ed all of LDA blues without much hassle, some of which would not be blue in another resort..no they wouldn't be green, either...) - Cervinia does look good, but cannot get any/many low price deals for the week we want to go (first UK half term week). And we are stuck with that week (kids in big school and local authority clamping down on mid-term skiving). I know that s/c can be expensive in these resorts; if we self-cater, Mrs. Dobby's suitcase will be full of pasta.....I'll let you know what we decide to do.
snow report
Dobby - La Rosiere would be good although windy! Montgenevre also offers some easy intermediate skiing and good chance of other English kids in ski school.
latest report
Two other suggestions which are great for intermediates - La Plagne/Les Arcs and Alpe D'Huez.
ski holidays
dobby, I wouldn't bother to take the pasta with you, it is still very affordable, less than a euro for a 500g bag in Carrefour. Trick is to self-cater in a resort with easy access to a reasonably priced supermarket.
snow report
dobby, certainly no need to waste space on pasta. Some favourite herbs and spices, tea bags, snacks for the slopes (mini Mars etc) would be more useful. Kids' fave cereals, and anything else they can't live without. A good sharp knife. If flying to Geneva you can get duty free spirits. Beers, soft drinks, from a valley supermarket. If you can get to a decent supermarket, now that the euro has weakened a bit there's really not much point carrying a lot of food.

If the Mrs has space in her suitcase she might like to take her favourite pillow - the ones supplied in apartments tend to be nasty synthetic ones which have seen better days.

If renting in France, check very carefully what linen is provided - the answer is often "none".
ski holidays
We went to Flaine last year the very same week you are thinking about and loved it.
I wrote a review which is on another site:

http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/12071.page
ski holidays
I've skiied in Les Carroz. Be careful we got our car broke into, ski's stolen and the damn vehicle security locked and thus incapable of being driven home - haven't been back since.

The skiing in Les Carroz/Morillons/Samoens is OK but the liason run that you have to take to link to Flaine is a bit of a pain if you are a good skier. And don't for gawds sake miss the last laision lift. If you get stuck in Flaine, it's a real pain waiting for the liason bus.

Some of the best skiing I ever had was in a little bowl just off the liaison route above Flaine. Last time I was there it was served by a t-bar lift that hardly ever got manned. One afternoon me and one other bloke happened to go by the place when they had opened it at random. For about two hours it was just him amd me and knee deep untracked powder. That was when I finally got what all the fuss was about re:powder. Until then it was just annoying cr@p I kept nose diving into.
latest report
pam w wrote:
dobby take her favourite pillow - the ones supplied in apartments tend to be nasty synthetic ones which have seen better days.

I would just like to point out that the ones supplied in our apartments tend to be down filled, and really rather lovely. Razz Razz
snow report
pam w and Hells Bells, thanks for the s/c hints - we've not s/ced skiing before (although we camp alot), so if we do s/c, I'll probably get back on here for some advice. Snapzzz, great review on Flaine. The place we were looking at in Flaine is an all-in hotel (Club du Soleil, Flaine Forum) which looks like it's in a good location. Too many choices, and too indecisive a bloke....
latest report
Hi , dont discount Samoens. Stayed at Neige et roc, in the attached appartments. Decent and good value. The hotel has a pool and fitness area. - good for kids at the end of the day. Hotel restaurant vey good.Town used to have (3-4 years ago some good restaurants, and was a nice place to be. Bus for a short run to the lift station certainly, but no great chore. Easily ski to Flaine for a couple of hours skiing, have a decent luch there and get back, without rush.
snow report
dobby, Flaine is divided into two main levels which are flaine Forum (lower) and Flaine Foret (higher up and linked via free 24hr passenger lifts to Forum). Forum area puts you close to the skiing with a flat snowy area for the kids to play/sledge on in the evening. Supermarket at both levels although the Spar up at Foret level is better imv. Limited bars but I guess you don't need that.

The Flaine "bowl" has superb intermediate skiing imv with a range of nice blues on one side of it and green down to the bottom i.e. you can ski top to bottom on blue /green. Anyone who can do linked snowploughs will get down. Forget Flaine Hameau - it's a village outside Flaine and too far from the skiing. Also there's an up-market development just outside the upper Foret area (Montsoleil) which is too far out imv. Lift passes are expensive but then so are most things in the bigger resorts. Flaine is the nearest large resort by road (from Calais) and easy to access from the autoroute
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, We have been to Flaine 6 years running with our son who is now 8, always stayed in Le Totem with Crystal which had great kids care and club ( Sadly in the process of being turned in apartments and no longer a hotel).
Our son was able to ski from the top of the resort back to the Forum after 1 weeks lessons on an easy blue/green route, and for us who like blues and reds plenty of choice in the G Massive, with a max 40 min return to Flaine if needed to get back in a rush. The skiing will be fine, it has a good snow record, the Flaine bowl is mainly North facing so holds the snow late in to the season despite not being too high. Re accommodation Hameau and Montsoleil whilst they have nice looking apartments are too far out,if you can find a nice looking apt within 100m of the main gondola in the Forum of the Grand Van lift in Foret you will get easy access to all of the reports skiing, both have beginners areas for the kids.
Have a quick look at the Euro holiday list before you book if you avoid the French holidays, it will be nice and quiet on the slopes and prices for accommodation more reasonable.
FYI the only reason were not going there in 2013 is that Le Totem has closed, were off to La Plagne which still has the kids club which we like and need at the moment.
Hope you et sorted and enjoy it Very Happy
snow report
Re : Montsoleil - it does run an exclusive shuttle from 7 - midnight and the butcher (traiteur) , spar,baker will all deliver to your door so it's not such a big deal being a bit out of resort. ESF run some kids group lessons from the building ski out and a minibus to the crèche/si club. So maybe works better than it sounds for you. Swimimg Pool great for kids also!

*edit for spelling*

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 6-10-12 9:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
mishmash wrote:
Re : Montsoleil - it does run an exclusive shuttle from 7 - midnight and the butcher (traiteur) , spar,baker will all deliver to your door so it's not such a big deal being a bitlut of resort. ESF run some kids group lessons from the building ski out and a minibus to the crèche/si club. So maybe works better than it sounds for you. Swimimg Pool great for kids also!

Read about it on tripadvisor! That's where we booked. If kids too cranky to ski in afternoon it is definitely perfect place. You don't see so many places get such rave tripadvisor reviews
snow report
patricksh wrote:
mishmash wrote:
Re : Montsoleil - it does run an exclusive shuttle from 7 - midnight and the butcher (traiteur) , spar,baker will all deliver to your door so it's not such a big deal being a bitlut of resort. ESF run some kids group lessons from the building ski out and a minibus to the crèche/si club. So maybe works better than it sounds for you. Swimimg Pool great for kids also!

Read about it on tripadvisor! That's where we booked. If kids too cranky to ski in afternoon it is definitely perfect place. You don't see so many places get such rave tripadvisor reviews
Likewise, have booked Montsoleil for first week in February.

Going back to the main post. Have heard good things about Flaine. Its cheap, has good weather, ski pass prices are reasonable compared to other French resorts.

Food and drink i have heard is expensive and the transfer from Geneva is 185 EUR each way. Anyone know of another way of transferring to and from geneva?

Shil
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone know of another way of transferring to and from geneva?

rent a car if there are more than two of you.
snow report
Transfer & Food Issues: GoMassif, and they will charge waiting time (basically cash tip for the driver) while you do a supermarket shop - I suggest Carrefour Market at Scionzier turn off. I have paid Euro 160 for a minibus transfer for 6 of us each way in 2011 with them - personally prefer that to a winter road up to Flaine which can be quite wiggly.
ski holidays
I own an Apt in Montsoleil, which IMOP is the best accommodation in Flaine, Flaine & the GM is fantastic, I have ski-ed all over the world but love going to the GM, the skiing itself is very good & caters for, most people & if the snow is good the Off Piste is also great, but I know it well, as for the Gondola the new one is going in now started in the spring & nearly finished. it will be up & running well before the season kick off Madeye-Smiley

I hope you have a great time only 9 weeks to go till I am there for 3 weeks Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy