Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adaptive skiing for my son

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A bit of background first. A few months ago my son was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He's just turned 5 so he's still very mobile and has reasonable upper body strength (for his age). He did try skiing before his diagnosis, but his legs simply weren't strong enough. So adaptive skiing is the answer, the trouble is I don't really know much about it.

Having read the thread that explains the different types of adaptive ski, it looks like a bi-ski or ski kart could well be suitable. I'd imagine that there will be some kit suitable for a 5 year old. I'm guessing that at the age of 5 he'll need adult assistance. The trouble is I snowboard, when I'd imagine that skiing would be easier from the point of view of controlling somebody going down a mountain.

So the things I need guidance on are:

What kit would be best for my son?
Is there any way to try it out? (I could probably get to Hemel for example)
Will I need to start skiing again?

That will probably do to start, but any other useful information shall be gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contact DSUK who have an active programme (including a few adaptive instructors who work at Hemel), and will be able to advise on the range of opportunities that are available.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lager, As rob@rar suggests, DSUK at Hemel would be a good start.
Without meeting your son and having a look at what he can do, I wouldn’t want to say which equipment would be most suitable for him. Though from past experience of teaching kids with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, I’d say looking at biskis is probably the right direction.
Yes, there are mini versions of sit-down equipment.
The snowboard question is an interesting one (and very current!) I believe that BASI are running their first Snowboard Adaptive Level 1 at Tamworth, actually this week. I don’t know exactly what will be covered on the course, though I have heard that you have to be a very good snowboarder to be able to pass it.
From what I know of how a biski works and how a snowboard works, at the moment, I think that skis are still the best option for a person accompanying a biski. Saying that, I’m interested to see what comes out of the BASI course.
If you have more questions, give me a shout.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Lager, as it has been mentioned before contacting DSUK is the best start. From my previous experience teaching children with DMD sit down option is def. more fun for them, you will be bale to ski everywhere and your child will have good upper body workout and deep muscles responsible for balance. You have mentioned about his strong upper body - def. bi-ski will be an option, but you need to see one of adaptive instructors first for assestment. There are various sizes of sit skis if he will be skiing in a sit down position. Regarding what is the best way to assist.....hm, same as Sara, in my opinion assisting on skis is easier than on snowboard, however you might be absolutely fine on snowboard - maybe you can go on the lesson with your son and by watching him skiing with an instructor it will give you an idea how it works and what is involved.
Good luck!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very useful thanks. I'll definitely get in touch with DSUK.

Good advice to watch with an instructor and see how it works exactly. My snowboarding is fairly decent (mogully blacks aren't a big problem these days), but I wouldn't have any confidence controlling anything else other than myself. If I watched how things worked it might seem less daunting. Well at least less daunting than having to learn to ski again. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy