Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

East or West of the USA?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my wife and I are planning our first ski trip to the states, having only ever skied Europe in the past.

We're visiting friends in Boston over Xmas, but can't decide whether to rent a car and drive a few hours for 1 weeks skiing in Killington or New Hampshire, or fly a few hours west and have a week in Breckenridge, Jackson Hole or maybe a bit further to Mammouth.... But if we're taking the second option (internal flights) then Banff and Whistler are options too I guess.

We want somewhere with variety, long wide runs, good snow, no ice, but somewhere the accommodation is close to the slopes, as many of the US resorts require you to catch a shuttle to the lifts/slopes, not sure if the States do Ski in - Ski out like Europe.

Budget not really an issue, just after some good resort advice and comparison of East Coast (New England) and West Coast (Nevada, Utah, Wyoming poss Canada, etc).

So not asking much then Very Happy but hopefully have come to the right place for advice.

Thanks in advance,

J&S.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
East Coast skiing is nicknamed Ice Coast......... so........

As for ski in/ski out there is slope side lodging available at Squaw Valley where you come out of the hotel or condo (depends which you choose) and put skis on immediately to get to the lift. Both locations are skiable to at the end of the day. There's also lodging available in the Village - short walk of a couple of hundred yards to the lift. Squaw has wide open runs and decent snow - big in terms of US ski areas, and if you get bored there's a shuttle to Alpine Meadows which takes 13 minutes.

And if you get bored of Squaw and Alpine there is the rest of Tahoe to explore......

Both Heavenly and Northstar do slope side accommodation with very short walks to the lifts from their main village areas. (I can't believe I just suggested the competition..... Smile)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wecolme to Snowheads.
jimbo&sooz wrote:
many of the US resorts require you to catch a shuttle to the lifts/slopes

I would think most of the purpose built real-estate ski resorts in the U.S./Canada feature accomodation in an arc surrounding the lifts which serve the mountain. My favorites are Vail and Snowmass.
Xmas is a bit early in the season you may be best to decide last minute you may even get soft snow on the east coast. If money was no object I would go to Japan.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We want somewhere with variety, long wide runs, good snow, no ice

Then go West, young man! Christmas is early season, and Eastern hills, while generally having good snowmaking, are notorious for icy conditions.

You might think about Winter Park, in Colorado. It's the nearest resort to Denver, so it's easy to fly in and there's a relatively short transfer. (The minibus company "Home James" runs an airport shuttle). It gets a lot of early season snow, since it's pretty much on the continental divide. I've dropped off there for a few days in early January on my way to the West Coast several times in the last few years, and never been disappointed by the conditions. Ticks most of your boxes for variety of trails (some wide groomers, awesome bumps and some great glade skiing) and reliably good snow conditions. There are several accommodation options at the base area, which has been developed by Intrawest over the last few years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in Boston and ski at Sunday River in Maine. It's nice up there but too iffy for conditions, especially that early in the season. If budget is not a problem definitely go to Aspen. You've got four peaks there including Snowmass and the town is beautiful and lively. You'll have a great time. I've skied most of the places out west and Aspen has it all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, I guess it's West coast or Canada then...... Now to decide between the two Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
West, and preferably in Canada wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do Breckenridge.. I promise, you won't regret it. Ski conditions are superb and the people are awesome.. while your there, be sure to jump on the Bus to Arapahoe and Beaver Creak, if you get time, also nip accross to Vail and see how the "other half" live Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimbo&sooz wrote:
We want somewhere with variety, long wide runs, good snow, no ice,

Much as I love the place, I'm not sure that that I'd put Jackson near the top of the list then. Long runs are either off the tram - steep and usually deep powder with no easy way down - or off the gondola which has only 2 (I think) wide blue runs back to the bottom, both of which can get very icy due to their orientation. There are shorter cruising runs all over the mountain, but they're mostly served by slow fixed-grip chairlifts so they're not really ideal. Apres Vous mountain has exactly the kind of skiing that you describe, but Wyoming is a very long way to go for that small hill. Most people go to Jackson for the blacks - trees, bumps, steeps, powder and sneaky routes through the rock bands. Don't misunderstand me: I'm sure that you'd have a great time there; I just think that you could do better.

Have you considered Big Sky, a little further north. It's a very large resort in terms of acreage and has endless, completely deserted cruising runs with a phenomenal snowfall record. It's a right pig to get there from the UK, but there are direct flights from Newark to Bozeman so it could be a good chance for you to try something a little more unusual than the normal Colorado resorts.

jimbo&sooz wrote:
but somewhere the accommodation is close to the slopes, as many of the US resorts require you to catch a shuttle to the lifts/slopes

As has been said, most US resorts have some slopeside accommodation. Slopeside with a European-style apres-ski buzz is a much rarer thing, though. Apres ski in North America usually comprises little more than a session in the hot tub where you can plan the next day's excursion in private with your partner.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimbo&sooz wrote:
as many of the US resorts require you to catch a shuttle to the lifts/slopes, not sure if the States do Ski in - Ski out like Europe.

Actually, shuttles are the minority in the US. Most resorts simply have a huge parking lot at the bottom of the lift and people get there by car!

The difference is significant. You don't have to stand in the cold waiting for the shuttle. You don't have to carry everything to the shuttle stop (usually at the lodging end, since typically shuttle stops are located right next to the lifts/base lodge). And you don't have to squeeze into a sardin can...

You do have to dump everything into the car in the morning (well, "everything" except skis/poles, those can be left in the car). And DRIVE a few minutes to the lift. Drop your stuff off, then go park the car and walk back. Some resorts runs a mini-shuttle from the various satelite parking into the main lodge. Those are like 2 minute rides.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, and American cars are ridiculously larger, more comfortable and cheaper than in Europe and the roads are wider, safer and easier to navigate which makes the whole travel thing more tolerable. Last winter we rented a massive 4x4 - much larger than my own Land Rover Discovery - with leather everywhere and more electronic gizmos than I was able to master for the princely sum of £300 for nine days. For a family, it was cheaper than paying for the shuttle bus. That's why I often prefer to stay in town rather than at the resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones, We rented something similar, for a vehicle with a 5.7L engine, it could barely pull the skin off a custard... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always thought that Big Sky in Montana would be must if I happened to find myself the otherside of the pond. Its a potential travel nightmare from uk, but if you are in US the internal travel to Bozeman (closest airport) should be a lot easier. Martin Bell is really the expert on the area.
also a real must if you like a bit of off piste / powder is revelstoke - Fly to Kelowna as its the closest airport. some accomodation at the base of the mountain. or stay in the town, its a proper town with people who work at real jobs. then its a short drive (5 mnis to the mountain), fantastic Cat Skiing! when driving around town and to the mountain be aware of the speed restrictions, police are very keen..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in Banff one Xmas, the days were short and it was very cold. Whistler would be warmer (maybe wetter). I would be inclined to go south.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Xmas
Money no object
Ski-in, ski-out

Beaver Creek, Colorado
Deer Valley, Utah
snow conditions
E asiest Reno or Salt Lake City or Denver. Reno airport to Squaw well under an hour. SLC to Cliff Lodge at Snowbird similar.
snow report
jimbo&sooz, Vermont has some lovely resorts, shorter flight and characterful resorts but is SO CHUFFING COLD! -29f when I was there freezing to near-death on Spruce Peak at Stowe. They have a hut at the top of every lift with a fire in and without 10 mins in that each time death would be inevitable. Skullie
snow report
I'd say there is Eastern skiing, then skiing in the Rockies, and the Western (mostly California in the Sierra Nevada). The Rockies (Colorado, and Utah especially) will have the most reliable snow record at Christmas. Though no where was good last year. I live in the East and while we really like many of the resorts and mountains, the weather is really fickle. Two years ago we spent a week in New Hampshire in late March and had wonderful mid-winter conditions. Last year, a week earlier on the calendar it was in the 60 and 70s with poor cover, limited open terrain, and slush. You literally can get powder, rain, icy icy cold, and slush all in the same week. Also, at Christmas, the hours of daylight are pretty short in the East. Many places have good snowmaking so if temps stay down they will have a decent amount of terrain open by Christmas. Given the option, I'd go West. The week between Christmas and New Year will be busy. If costs are not really a factor I think the options of Beaver Creek and Deer Valley are good choices. There is a tremendous amount of skiing within an hour of the Salt Lake City airport. Park City is really the only proper ski resort town in Utah. Deer Valley, The Canyons, and Park City Mountain resort are all right in Park City. Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton are about 1 hour by car from Park City. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain about 1.5 hours. Sundance probably 45 minutes. So with a car you won't run out of skiing. The Aspen area would be a pretty good choice though perhaps harder to get to. Steamboat would also be a place you could look at. I've never skied California but my impression is that early season tends to be less reliable. CA can get tons of snow but it's also more susceptible to getting almost skunked. If you happen to be in the Park City area between Christmas and New Year send me a pm. My wife and I could possibly meet you at the Wasatch Brew Pub for a Polygamy Porter or the No Name Saloon for a Buffalo burger.
latest report
RISkier, Nice summary...

'skunked'? Could you translate please for those of us across the pond?
ski holidays
skunked = shafted
ski holidays
jimbo&sooz, Get on a plane for 3 hours and head west. I did Killington for 7 days a few years back. Weather wasn't a problem but i had covered everything within 3 days and got bored. We actually cut short the skiing and went to Boston then onto NYC for a few days instead.
snow report
Skunked is a slang term meaning you got nothing. I grew up in the rural Midwest so I'm not sure how widely it's used these days. By skunked I meant there might be very little or no snow. Last year California had very little snow until late in the year. I haven't looked at the long term data but the California resorts seem to get some really huge storms. Occassionally you hear they have to close to dig the lifts out. But it seems more hit and miss. It's relatively rare you wouldn't get pretty good cover in CO or Ut by Christmas. That said, last year was a very poor snow year almost everywhere in NA. I think the British Columbia resorts had a pretty good snow year. A guy by the name of Tony Crocker has a web site that gives a lot of historical data on snowfalls. I think the slant is largely geared towards where are you likely to get the best powder but some useful information. Here's the link http://bestsnow.net/
snow report
Mike Pow, RISkier, thanks - I'll introduce the word to London society.
ski holidays
red 27, Cool. When I hear one of the Royals say they got skunked I'll know I've made a profound, though not necessarily positive, contribution to British society.
latest report
Okay, thanks for the advice..... we've decided against the East Coast now, so it's down to Mammouth, Beaver Creek and Big Sky....... Decisions, decisions......
snow report
jimbo&sooz wrote:
Okay, thanks for the advice..... we've decided against the East Coast now, so it's down to Mammouth, Beaver Creek and Big Sky....... Decisions, decisions......
If you're considering Big Sky, you might want to look at Martin Bell's rather awesome photo thread of the 2012 season. Another thought is that a day trip to Yellowstone is a great excursion if you don't mind missing a day's skiing - apart from the obvious geysers and astonishingly photogenic landscapes, when we went we saw huge amounts of wildlife including bison (of course), elk, coyote, eagles, etc. Definitely worth a visit IMV.
ski holidays
1. Aspen;
2. Jackson Hole;
3. Whistler.
snow conditions
In California we are generally skiing by early to mid December - last year was a terrible year and will skew any averages. The weather patterns ensure it's either storming, or clear - we'll get a 2 day storm and then a clear week.

why Mammoth as opposed to the other Californian resorts?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skinanny wrote:
why Mammoth as opposed to the other Californian resorts?

Snow. (especially snow quality)

I also find the layout of Mammoth much easier to navigate than Heavenly, the 1 of 2 "big" resort of Tahoe. Squaw is nice when the expert terrains are open. When not, the irritated experts ended up in the lower mountain and making it a mad house...

As a skier, I don't mind driving around the lake chasing storms and getting powders in smaller mountains. But I won't do that for a "holiday". Too much work.
latest report
Try Vail or Beaver Creek, and Park City is another option with choices. You have options for lots of side trips with those resorts. Rent a car for sure.

I did BC last year in mid Feb. You can buy a 7 day Vail resorts lift pass. Gives you access to BC, Vail , Keystone, and Breck. We skied BC, Vail, and Breck. Having a car makes things really easy.

Park City, has a nice ski town. Good restaurants. Access to Deer Valley and The Canyons. You can also head over to Alta, Snowbird, or also Snow Basin.
snow report
skinanny wrote:
In California we are generally skiing by early to mid December - last year was a terrible year and will skew any averages. The weather patterns ensure it's either storming, or clear - we'll get a 2 day storm and then a clear week.

I'm not a native like skinanny but from my relatively extensive experience this is absolutely true for Tahoe. There's no doubt that last season was terrible but the OP can presumably hold off on booking an internal flight until early December to see how stuff is shaping up and pick the best destination accordingly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy