Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body protectors?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if there's anything good on the market specifically aimed at protecting ribs?

I have broken ribs twice in falls, most recently this March - the effects of which I am still feeling.

I'm losing my sense of humour about it a bit.

Is there anything anyone recommends?

(My wife has suggested a big padded penguin suit, so she's already beaten you to that gag!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Immediate suggestion is a pressure suit like they use for mountain biking and I use for off-road motorcycling, but that's perhaps overkill as well as very bulky and not the best for freedom of movement.

Maybe something from SixSixOne
Their base-layer armour uses a soft, gel-like armour which resists shocks but is soft and flexible under normal usage.

http://sixsixone.com/bike/soft-shell-pads/sub-gear/ss-shirt

and is really not that bulky at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northernsoulboy, Tillett Ribtec as used by Hamilton and other racers, the P1 or P4 harness is the best. Very good for skiing I have used one to protect a broken sternum and other rib injuries, took a 30 mph hit against a jagged ice wall and just skied way.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic,
Quote:

Tillett Ribtec

Interesting gear more stuff here https://www.tillett.co.uk/ribtec-rib-protectors.asp
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
northernsoulboy wrote:
I have broken ribs twice in falls, most recently this March - the effects of which I am still feeling.
I'm losing my sense of humour about it a bit.

Having a sense of humour with broken ribs is not good as it hurts when you laugh.
I broke my ribs from falling on my mobile phone, my jacket had a pocket marked for a phone, best to have it in a lower pocket.
I used to wear the 661 body armour with the breast plate. It was a little a little ostentatious and I took flak for looking like Robocop but I wasn't hurt when people bounced off me in collisions. I wear something more discrete now with reactive foam. Theres plenty out there for moto cross, snow sports, rugby etc. Google "body armour" or search e-bay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, some interesting things for me to start with.
Lechbob, I've got rugby body armour (shoulder protectors) and have worn it skiing, but to be honest it was a waste of time. I dislocated my shoulder wearing it!
I have searched online body armour, but you know how it is - it's always better to hear direct from the horses' mouths, as opposed to who's paid the most to get ranked the highest on google!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northernsoulboy, armour won't normally stop dislocations. They're caused by overextension or twisting in the wrong direction. They will reduce the damage from shock loading reducing the pressure and increasing the area that the force applies to you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef, I suppose it depends on your definitions of 'normally' and whether impact can cause overextension etc?
I know several people who've suffered partial or full dislocations of their shoulders as a direct result of impact (generally tackles playing rugby or skiing).
So in that sense, a shoulder protector should absorb some of the impact and make a dislocation less likely?

By the way, I've been internetting, as per the advice of Lechbob, and it occurs to me that horse riding vests might not be a bad idea. (For protecting ribs, not shoulders.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northernsoulboy, The 661 top had a hard breastplate which certainly would spread the load of any chest impact. It did attract too many Robocop comments so as a compromise I changed to the Demon Flex force top which is very comfortable and gives good temperature regulation, it does not offer such obvious protection but has served me well
http://youtube.com/v/pxKRqN7YfsI
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
northernsoulboy wrote:
feef, I suppose it depends on your definitions of 'normally' and whether impact can cause overextension etc?
I know several people who've suffered partial or full dislocations of their shoulders as a direct result of impact (generally tackles playing rugby or skiing).
So in that sense, a shoulder protector should absorb some of the impact and make a dislocation less likely?

By the way, I've been internetting, as per the advice of Lechbob, and it occurs to me that horse riding vests might not be a bad idea. (For protecting ribs, not shoulders.)

The difference there is that if the force is enough to shift the entire shoulder back such that it dislocated, then dispersing the loading with a piece of armour won't help.

All armour does it effectively take a point load and spread it over a larger area. If the force is great enough to stiff do damage even after it's ben spread then you're still going to be injured. Bear in mind, you have no idea what injuries you'd have sustained had you NOT been wearing it. A dislocated shoulder might have been the easy option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are a number of designs some more substantial looking, others lighter in framework and design in the horse riding world. You can also get inflatable jackets - although despite considering all sorts of methods of attachment/deployment I can't see how these can be used in skiing/boarding, and there is also a lightweight metal framework in the horse riding world.

A web search for horse riding body protectors will turn up loads of hits, but here is one such selectionhttp://www.equestrianclearance.com/products/riding_wear_jodhpurs/safetywear/body_protectors/index.html

I have the woofwear one.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jockey body protectors are often lighter and not recommended for general riding, they have to be more lightweight in the racing world, but might provide a different option - like these: http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/8
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northernsoulboy, Did a brilliant piruette a few years age and landed on the handle of my pole - broke 2 ribs. Dainese have/had a great product out called "The Wavewcoat" protected ribs, shoulders, kidneys etc. not bulky at all and very effective , thankfully I never fully tested it but I'm sure it would be up to the job.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy