Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New guy just saying alreet.....

Poster: A snowHead
Evening ladies and gents.....

Been reading the forum on and off for a couple of years now and finally decided to join up and join in the fun. Enjoy reading the topics and some of the one liners and witty replies are funny... sit here and laugh while the other half gives me strange looks. I've skied since I was 6, I'm now 25, been to les deux alpes twice, livigno, pas de la casa, arinsal, mayrhofen twice, banff, lake louise, sunshine village and borovets. I'm a skier rather than a boarder and I love snow Very Happy.... I'm in love with Austria, its been the last 2 destinations of choice both times in Mayrhofen, love the place and I'm now hooked on Austria, from the charm of the town to the food to the locals and the ale/apres ski... you get the picture I AM OBSESSED. Anyway guys I'm booking up to go to Austria again in January but this time somewhere different. Would have loved to go to St Anton or Ischgl but they are way above budget for half board for a week because for some reason the mrs likes 2 sun holidays a year and 1 ski Puzzled daft bitch. Anyway looking to spend around £1200 for the pair of us on a package. We want somewhere with plenty runs, good apres ski, stuff to do in and about the town and thats more or less it. Been looking at Kitzbuhel and Saalbach.... would people recommend these 2 places for what we want, and anyone with any experience of these 2 resorts I'd be very grateful for some info. Off to bed now.... up at 6 for work and been reading through the forum since 10pm. Goodnight and cheers in advance for the replys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome onboard
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wiganski87 Welcome to snowHead !!

In terms of no. of ski trips, you're near enough Scotland for a few cheeky weekends! Have you been? If not, the thing to bear in mind is that when it's good it can be very very good, but when it's bad.... Confused The main issue tends to be the wind/stormy weather - so it's always best to make loose plans and then go for it (or not)....On a positive note, skiing can often be underway in November and continue at least until late April. This year we skied at Cairngorm in the last week of May in baking heat Cool.

Anyway, on the Austria front, a couple of thoughts:

1. Have you looked at a DIY package? Lufthansa (Manchester to Munich for you) can be very reasonable. We paid £90 each return last winter - inc. free bags and skis. Train travel is very efficient/ reasonable in Germany/Austria, or you can hire a car. If that's something you'd consider, have a look at the following hotel. We stayed there before/after a ski mountaineering trip last winter and it was great. The food was excellent too.

http://www.hotel-enzian.com/start.php?site=eskisafari&lan=e&ss=winter#top

Although it's in the non-ski resort/valley town of Landeck, the hotel runs a 'ski safari' and takes you by minibus round a load of nearby resorts - inc. St Anton, Ischgl, Lech, Zurs and Serfaus. We also had a great day last March at the area of Venet, 5 mins. from the hotel - it has a massive vertical. For the standard of hotel, it's a very reasonably priced way to ski these areas - a lot cheaper than staying in resort. Landeck train station is very near to the hotel.

2. Solden might fit the bill - 2 glaciers, snowsure, great skiing, big area and lively town.

3. Kitzbuhel is fantastic but some of the sking/key links are fairly low and can have variable snow conditions. Generally ok in the depths of winter though.

Sorry, haven't been to Saalbach.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi wiganski87, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Kitzbuhel is really nice with plenty of stuff to do in town or even just wander round the old walls or sit and have coffee & cake in one of the lovely cafes. It doesn't have to be expensive - we've always stayed B&B and then its up to you how much you spend on an evening meal with a wide range of restaurants/different prices. January should be as fine for Kitzbuhel as anywhere else is and there is vast area of skiing open to you - if you include a short 5 min bus ride you can ski the Westendorf slopes via the KiWest lift and over to the rest of the Ski Welt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replys lads and lasses. Not convinced with Scotland.... think it's because 1) I haven't tried it 2) It isn't as snow sure as Europe... and to be honest I want to get out of the UK but wouldn't mind trying Scotland last minute for a weekend at some point. Someone else I spoke to mentioned Solden aswell so will be having a look to see what I can find. Yes I have considered doing a DIY trip in the past, but adding everything up seems to always equal what the TO's are offering without the hassle of having to get yourself from airport to resort etc etc, although for some people that is all part of the holiday.... Will take a look at Landeck aswell. Really fancying Kitzbuhel... because if visibility isn't great the gf isn't confident and gets a bit nervous on the slopes so a few hours in the morning and she's had enough then it's a couple of pints, hotel, changed and finding something to do in town. God I can't wait for January..... why can't we have an Alps in England Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowHeads! From your username I suspect you may live somewhere in the NW wink there's a fair few of us around so watch out in the events section of meet-ups at Chillfactore. A group of us had a thread going and met met up quite a few times last year. http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77158 We've not done it this year so far, but if anybody wanted to reawaken it I'm sure a group would form.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wiganski87 There aren't many on here who would advocate Scotland instead of the Alps - more like in addition to, especially as you are a fellow obsessive! Snow reliability isn't generally the issue - in a 'normal' season there will be snow/skiing from Dec to April at least, though March 2012 was a once in 50 years event with no snow.

If you try it with an open mind - it doesn't pretend to be the Alps, though you can have just as enjoyable a time there - you could have a great time! £60 or 70 for fuel, B&B or cheap hotel from £40/room - it's (nearly as) cheap as chips! (+ battered Mars Bar at extra cost....)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haha Wigan, yeh sounds like we are close.... infact Im a lobby gobbler but now residing in pieland as the Mrs is from posh old Scholes, however we are in Swinley... I'd defo be up for a chillfactore group meet, with a bit of notice obviously...... and work permitting. Mountainaddict, thanks for the advice, I certainly won't dismiss Scotland, but as I say, my knowledge is very limited as Iv'e never really fancied it although would defo be up for a cheap weekend up there to give it a try should the right moment come up. Never had a battered mars bar but always fancied one hahaha.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach is GREAT - this is where I fall in love with Austrian skiing and apres. Just brilliant Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wiganski87, You'd really like Kitzbuhel, can get b&b accom there just out of town but on ski bus route for 50€ pppn and I'd also do MAN-MUC with Lufthansa and get a cheap transfer from there, only an hour. Think your budget might just be a bit tight but do a DIY trip rather than tour operator is my advice. Might struggle for pies in Kitzbuhel but plenty of good Wurstls and Schnitzels will plug the gap for you..........go for it, and take plenty of beer vouchers, Kitz aint cheap! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wiganski87: See below for Cairngorm photos for 2011-12. Winterhighland is the no. 1 site for Scotland snowsports info.

If you scroll to the bottom of the web page, you can check out the historical position for all of the Scottish skli areas in previous seasons - hopefully one or two photos that may whet your appetite and a few that won't put you off too much:

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=810

Quote:
infact Im a lobby gobbler
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Er, would you care to expand/explain?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, Nice idea with this ski safari from Landeck, good location for so many great resorts.
I guess you had to boy single day ski passes which might be quite expensive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
wiganski87 Welcome to snowHead !!

In terms of no. of ski trips, you're near enough Scotland for a few cheeky weekends! Have you been? If not, the thing to bear in mind is that when it's good it can be very very good, but when it's bad.... Confused The main issue tends to be the wind/stormy weather - so it's always best to make loose plans and then go for it (or not)....On a positive note, skiing can often be underway in November and continue at least until late April. This year we skied at Cairngorm in the last week of May in baking heat Cool.

Anyway, on the Austria front, a couple of thoughts:

1. Have you looked at a DIY package? Lufthansa (Manchester to Munich for you) can be very reasonable. We paid £90 each return last winter - inc. free bags and skis. Train travel is very efficient/ reasonable in Germany/Austria, or you can hire a car. If that's something you'd consider, have a look at the following hotel. We stayed there before/after a ski mountaineering trip last winter and it was great. The food was excellent too.

http://www.hotel-enzian.com/start.php?site=eskisafari&lan=e&ss=winter#top

Although it's in the non-ski resort/valley town of Landeck, the hotel runs a 'ski safari' and takes you by minibus round a load of nearby resorts - inc. St Anton, Ischgl, Lech, Zurs and Serfaus. We also had a great day last March at the area of Venet, 5 mins. from the hotel - it has a massive vertical. For the standard of hotel, it's a very reasonably priced way to ski these areas - a lot cheaper than staying in resort. Landeck train station is very near to the hotel.

2. Solden might fit the bill - 2 glaciers, snowsure, great skiing, big area and lively town.

3. Kitzbuhel is fantastic but some of the sking/key links are fairly low and can have variable snow conditions. Generally ok in the depths of winter though.

Sorry, haven't been to Saalbach.

Hope that helps.

I have never skiied in Scotland. Is it any good? I know a lot of people here are regulars but I have always dismissed it because of the unpredictabilty of snow fall and lack of ski area
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountain addict.... looked at the photos and quite impressed with the snow cover in all months. Its defo worth a punt, but as mentioned in other threads, it'd be good to save up some cash, wait for a huge dump, pack it book it and off we pop... In regards to a lobby gobbler, it's just a name for people from my town of Leigh..... like pie eater from Wigan, Scouser Liverpool.... etc. Lobby is a stew, similar to scouse but these parts tend to use beef stock, corned beef, onions, carrots and potatoes, home made dumplins with plents red cabbage and beetroot.... infact if we self cater on ski hols I make it often as it's a winter warmer. Cheers for the info in regards to Scotland.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to ski Kitzbuhel, then have a look at some of the B&B/pensions in Kirchberg. Same ski area but just 5 clicks from Kitz and you are even nearer to Brixen where you can ski the Ski welte area for just a little extra on the ski pass.
snow report
Leigh!!

And you dare show you're face after nicking Penkywicz wink
ski holidays
Cheers for the advice, our budget can stretch, just want to make it as reasonable as possible. Really fancying Kitzbuhel tbh though. Hahaha Mosha, he's a Leigh lad anyway back to his home town.... although I'm a season ticket holder at St Helens..... shhhhhhhhh Very Happy
snow report
I've just booked Saalbach for early Feb, it looks a brilliant resort. Fastest lift system in the Alps, great range of pistes and awesome apres. Cannot WAIT, I love Austria too.

If you're interested, it's the Hotel Konig, with Crystal - price seems to be about £580 for you, so within your budget:

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/search/sr.1

Of the other places in Austria I've been I really liked St Anton (absolutely amazing resort), Schladming and Mayrhofen.

Bad Gastein was very pretty and a lovely town, but not much in the way of apres, Zell am See was stunning but had limited skiing and low-key apres, and Nassfeld had great skiing but very limited apres.

I would definitely consider Schladming.

Oh and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
Saalbach is bloody great and the Konig is brilliant.
ski holidays
Jet2 - Manchester or Leeds/Bradford to Salzburg, then a 60-90 min. transfer to any of the resorts in Ski Amade, Saalbach, Zell am See, Kitzbuhel and many more. Find a self-catering apartment for €500 or do as Piccadilly, and look for example at Crystal, Nielsen or Ski Miguel for Saalbach
latest report
You can't get Deep Fried Mars Bars/Pizza et al in the Alps. Got to be a plus for Scotland!

snowHead
snow conditions
parkesy wrote:

I have never skiied in Scotland. Is it any good? I know a lot of people here are regulars but I have always dismissed it because of the unpredictabilty of snow fall and lack of ski area

Booking up for a long holiday in advance is not a great idea because of weather unpredictability.

Writing it off because of snow unpredictability and area size means you are missing out on getting in some great skiing at short notice that is reasonably accessible from Northern England/Scotland.
When the snow is good you can get some great sking and there is some wonderful terrain that is better than hundreds of acres of blandness, plenty enough for a good weekends skiing at any ski centre (though I have not tried the Lecht).
latest report
Piccadilly wrote:
Bad Gastein was very pretty and a lovely town, but not much in the way of apres.

Umm, there's quite a bit of Apres in Bad Gastein i'd say. Silver Bullet (www.silverbulletbar.com), Haeggbloms (www.haeggbloms.at) both have pretty crazy apres. Then there's the Krone Bar, Revolution, Wurthers ... You have to know where to look i'll give you that but it's there.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
wiganski87 wrote:
I've skied since I was 6, I'm now 25, been to les deux alpes twice, livigno, pas de la casa, arinsal, mayrhofen twice, banff, lake louise, sunshine village and borovets. I'm a skier rather than a boarder and I love snow Very Happy.... I'm in love with Austria, its been the last 2 destinations of choice both times in Mayrhofen, love the place and I'm now hooked on Austria, from the charm of the town to the food to the locals and the ale/apres ski... you get the picture I AM OBSESSED. Anyway guys I'm booking up to go to Austria again in January but this time somewhere different. Would have loved to go to St Anton or Ischgl but they are way above budget for half board for a week because for some reason the mrs likes 2 sun holidays a year and 1 ski Puzzled daft bitch.

Reading between the lines, I'm thinking you're more 'OBSESSED' with 'APRES' than 'SKI' so can understand why Scotland's lack of creature comforts might put you off. However, if you are really keen and willing to try something different, Glencoe ski centre have commited to keeping their bar open throughhout the upcoming ski season so that folk sleeping in tents, cars or campervans can have a night cap. Cool

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/578510/6e898481df/ARCHIVE

If I was in the same position as you though and actually just wanted a simple tour operator week and preferably a 1/2 board week in Ischgl, St Anton or Lech etc, I'd gamble on getting lucky with a late booking. Worst case is you'll get good value somewhere out of the region but there are 1/2 board weeks at 1/2 brochure price in Ischgl, Lech and St Anton available most weeks, most seasons if you keep your eyes peeled. wink
snow conditions
Kersh wrote:
Piccadilly wrote:
Bad Gastein was very pretty and a lovely town, but not much in the way of apres.

Umm, there's quite a bit of Apres in Bad Gastein i'd say. Silver Bullet (www.silverbulletbar.com), Haeggbloms (www.haeggbloms.at) both have pretty crazy apres. Then there's the Krone Bar, Revolution, Wurthers ... You have to know where to look i'll give you that but it's there.

Cheers
Kersh

The Silver Bullet was great in the evenings, we went there every night, we just didn't find anything immediately after skiing...obviously we should have looked harder wink
ski holidays
Piccadilly, I usually do the opposite and go to the Silver Bullet or Haeggbloms after skiing then to the other for the evening. Well, that was before we had kids!!! snowHead

Haeggbloms is pretty legendary apres. Speedster reliably informs me that there's a guy who sits on a stool playing the guitar on the stage from about 4.30pm. After each song, he downs a shot of JD. This continues until he falls off the his stool (usually at about 7pm) when they close the bar, everyone goes back to their hotels to eat and get changed before they reopen about 10pm. Apparently it's pretty funny, hopefully i'll get a pass from Mrs. Kersh to see it myself this season.

Cheers
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Leigh!!

And you dare show you're face after nicking Penkywicz wink

Looks kike there's a few of us livin in (or around) Leigh!
snow report
Quote:
Nice idea with this ski safari from Landeck, good location for so many great resorts.
I guess you had to buy single day ski passes which might be quite expensive
We were ski mountaineering/ski touring in the Silvretta - so we were at the hotel before and after our tour but not as part of the Ski Safari. However, prices include half board and five day-tickets as part of the Ski Safari - they suggest you ski the Venet area (5 mins from the hotel) as your 6th ski day, so you need to pay extra for that one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Saalbach, went there last yr for first time and have booked for jan and march this year, great skiing, après and everything close together, go for it
snow report
Cheers for all the replies guys. Saalbach looks a good option, good deal with neilson leaving on the 5th Jan, MAN - SZG with jet2, transfers and a week B&B for £340. Anyone any experience of Central B&B ? Moffatross, apres ski is very important to me tbf you are half right, I am obsessed with both lol.
ski holidays
wiganski87, great après in Saalbach, both up the mountain and at village level, you can ski both sides of the valley and linked to Hinterglemm and Leogang, transfer is not too long from Salzburg either, sorry cant help on Central but price seems v low
ski holidays
Kitz isnt that expensive, it depends where you go and where you stay.
Hotel Kaiser is cheap and basic but pleasant. Although 10 mins walk out of town, it is very close to train station, which is on the skibus route. Agreed that Kirchberg is closer to SkiWelt but get on bus and get off at Hahnenkamm, up the bubble, down blue 37, up cosy new 8 seater heated chairlift, down blue 26 into Kirchberg and then bus to the Westondorf gondola KiWest. You can then ski all of Westondorf and Brix, even over to Soll and SkiWelt.

As far as the amber liquid goes, drinking in O'Flanagan's is cheaper than the Londoner. Ski back from top of Hahnenkamm into Londoner. Short 'n' Curlies in Londoner great, then down to O'Flanagan's for cheaper beers and onto Sigi's for extras. Andi's Taxis to decent fare back to Kaiser.

http://www.skimap.kitzalps.com/default.asp?Lang=en
snow report
Both Kitzbühel and Saalbach (or Hinterglemm) offer great skiing. I expect you would enjoy both of them. the tips above about cheaper accommodation are worth keeping in mind.

With regards to Scotland, I learned my skiing there and you can have a most enjoyable time. But Scottish skiing isn't the Alps. The areas over here are often larger and better developed. But if you have the time and can manage an extra trip up North when conditions are good, it would be worth the effort.
ski holidays
I think I need open my eyes to what's offered in the uk by the sounds of things. Checked out some image galleries and the views look unreal. When I'm back from this season i will check out out.

I am however considering back to back seasons..
snow conditions
1. Kitzbuehel is gash.

2. Saalbach is good but not great.

3. Scotland is good for a weekend. Nevis and Glencoe are best.
snow report
wiganski87, Hotel Central is on the pedestrian street in the centre of Saalbach. It's directly opposite Bobby's, and the Underbar is in the cellar of the same building. Ski Hire from Hansi (opposite your front door) and a 5 min walk in ski boots to any of the 3 main lifts. £340 sounds a bargain. Plenty of places to eat on the mountain (€10 for a meal & drink) and everything from pizzas to 5* dining in the evening.
latest report
Cheers everyone, decided to go back in today and book Central B&B for a week, told her if I did it independently I could do it for £325, eventually after a bit or bartering we agreed on £330 P/P, which tbh I am absolutely chuffed with and I can't wait. Anyone booked up for anywhere or to Saalbach at the same time as me ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy