Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier / Le Grand Bornand - 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Mr Piehole, are the lifts going to be open this coming week?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For LGB, it's "Du lundi 17 au jeudi 20 décembre 2012 - 9 remontées mécaniques et 13 pistes ouvertes".

Not sure about Clusaz. Then it's full opening from next Sat, with just about the most impossibly amazing opening day snow conditions. And in all likelihood a load of cloud and fog. But it'll be amazing underfoot Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Piehole, thanks. I have some very keen relatives who were looking for somewhere to go before the Espace Diamant opens (only open weekends till 22nd). I had directed them to Flaine, which is probably best, as they hope to ski Thursday and Friday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Piehole, will you be about when i am out there, 15th - 19th january? I need someone to show me around, beers are on me? Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I arrive this coming Saturday, when you went up the gondola did you see if the home run into Grand Bornand was complete? Much prefer that to getting the gondola at the end of a day

Then back out on 19th Jan so will just miss you Rick
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowscreen, boo! I will be skiing the morning of the 19th before heading off to Geneva for the flight home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowscreen, where is staying is at the top of the La Joyere lift! Looks amazing!

Is that red run down into the town often closed or something?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has always been fine when I've gone in January but didn't know how it would be this early, and with that recent rain

Never actually been up the Joyere but will this time as I always miss out on the runs around there

Will arrive in town about 10am on the 19th so might get a half day in, hoping that they'll have the night skiing open on Tuesday 25th
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowscreen, is night skiing every Tuesday? If so what runs are open?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowscreen, dunno if the home run was 'open', but people were certainly skiing it!

Ricklovesthepowder, we've had this conversation before haven't we...? I don't know if I can 'show you around' as such, as I'm always pootling with a toddler.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep every Tuesday from 8-10:30, did it in January and as it had snowed for the 2 hours before hand it was great, no lift queue despite it only being les gettiers lift they use.

We got the free bus from GB there & back

Info here http://www.legrandbornand.com/night-skiing.html

Skip to 6:45mins to see our footage of night ski/boarding

Click this link -
http://youtube.com/v/aKcSx5Jn1aY
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Piehole, yes we have, it's been a long day lol!

snowscreen, cheers for the link
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Mr Piehole, thanks. I have some very keen relatives who were looking for somewhere to go before the Espace Diamant opens (only open weekends till 22nd). I had directed them to Flaine, which is probably best, as they hope to ski Thursday and Friday.

Clusaz says this is open all week, if that helps?

- TC Beauregard
- TK Etoile des neiges
- TK Aiglons
- TC Patinoire
- TSD Merle
- TC Balme
- TSF Bergerie

The TKs are both a waste of time. Balme+Bergerie opens a nice part of the La Balme sector though.

Goodness knows what LGB are doing with their apparent Friday off.

Grand Massif is probably better though, especially if your rellies can get away with only driving to Carroz or something, rather than that long slog to Flaine itself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
41cm of fresh snow overnight! Looking good!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.legrandbornand.com/snow-weather-report.html
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, thanks. Lovely new snow overnight all over, but looks like it might be peessing down before Christmas.
ski holidays
Anyone out there able to give us a report from today? Much new snow overnight?
snow conditions
loads
snow conditions
well thanks for that detailed and thrilling report there miranda, Laughing

Really cant wait to get out to Le Grand Bornand!!!!
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, if you don't think a report of loads of fresh snow is thrilling, you're on the wrong forum. wink
latest report
miranda, I was more on about the detail!!!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, come on, what more details do you need? The whole region is suffocating under the snow. But a lot of it will be washed away with the huge deluge of rain coming in this weekend. No doubt more will be along later. or perhaps not, perhaps this is it for the season and it will all be grass before long. Just chatting to an ex-restaurant man from up here who lives in Albertville and says the snow down there, which was quite deep, has pretty well all gone - he was astonished how fast, and he's lived here all his life.

You're not going for ages yet; why do you need detail?
latest report
pam w, because I'm interested in how conditions are where I'm going next month. I know that a month is a long time away, but just wanted some info on the conditions out there etc.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder There's loads of snow. Loads. Not a lot more to say really. Loads everywhere. In terms of snow, could hardly be better, though as you know many resorts - perhaps most - are not fully open till the weekend. It would be great if there was still loads of snow when you go, but that's in the lap of the Gods. It looks as though it will be very, very, different next week, given the forecast for the weekend, let alone next month.
snow report
I'm hoping it's just scattered showers when I arrive on Saturday, be nice to have some sun throughout the week aswell
Be nice to win the lottery aswell though

Can't see the rain doing too much damage to the piste considering how much snow they've had, just means the town wont be covered in snow
Keeping fingers crossed
snow conditions
Looks like a very pretty day in the Aravis today. I can't get up there today, but the webcams show it's not exactly kids building snowmen in the streets - the town webcams show rainy slush on the pavements so I'm guessing the lower slopes are a bit rain affected after last night's deluge.

About the same again over the next day or two, although the weekend daytimes should be fairly clear, and then snow returning early next week. With grey skies to match presumably. Again.
snow conditions
Congratulations Le Grand Bornand!

Curse you, Les 'Arcs'!

http://www.skiinfo.fr/news/a/582341/enneigement-en-france--21-12-2012

ski holidays
Can someone please translate?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'cm'

It's like an inch, but a bit shorter.
ski holidays
Left column is total snow depth. 'En haut' means upper slopes, 'en bas' means lower slopes.

Right column is snowfall in the last 7 days.
latest report
Arrived to rain at Le Grand Bornand this afternoon. It was falling as snow when we got up to Chinaillon though. That continued until about an hour ago when it turned to rain here too. Sad Seems to be causing chaos on the roads in the village, we saw numerous stuck vehicles and a small coming together as we cruised past in 4WD with snow tyres on [/smug mode]

Forecast suggests it will clear overnight and there is so much snow here that I don't think this rain will cause us piste skiers any problems.

Looking forward to getting out there tomorrow and as this apartment has wifi I can let you know what's occurring Smile
snow conditions
MazDave, cheers for the report, keep us updated, cnat wait to get out there on the 15th!!! Im staying in a chalet at the top of the La Joyere cable car. Please tell me it looks nice when you ski past it on the red run "Les Envers"!!!

More snow forecats up top from Wednesday onwards.
latest report
Skied this morning at GB before the snow/rain arrived this pm - there is about a metre & a half of snow all over the mountain. Lachat was open for the first time. Fabulous snow up top. Le gypaete was "closed," probably because it hadn't been pisted, but had groups of skiers from six to sixty scattered down it. We got some Fabulous light thigh deep powder, especially in the alpage off to the right under the chair. Cut back before going too low, or the fall line can get "interesting"- it's pretty obvious to spy out from the chair going up.
Maroly section was in lovely shape earlier in the week.
Envers run back to the village is definitely open.
Heres hoping the rain tonight doesn't do much harm to the lower slopes. The sun should return for some spring like skiing upto Christmas then getting colder.
ski holidays
PS Ricklovesthepowder, what's your chalet called? There are a few that could fit your description.
ski holidays
gvj, Chalet D'Or. When you out there until?
ski holidays
Don't know anything about the chalet but the position of it is hard to beat. You should have a great time. We're out again from around 19th Jan to 2nd Feb.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, if you pm me your address I'll send you a collection of the brochures and info from the Tourist Office when we get back. It's nice to look at.

It's a quiet looking morning here, mostly high cloud with a few breaks and about 2deg C on the balcony. Toast and coffee is done, time to wrap up the smaller Joneses and head out...
snow report
MazDave, thanks, that would be lovely. Also give the mrs something to look through and give her some ideas of local things etc. let me know when your back in Blighty!

Keep the updates coming, thanks!
snow report
A beautiful day out there today - hazy sunshine to start, full sunshine in the afternoon. More like spring than Christmas - fabulous. About 6 or 7 degrees.

Lovely.

Tomorrow looks promising for the arrival of Pere Noel and the torch descent in the evening too....
snow conditions
Well the good news is the blue skies, the mild temperatures, and the festive spirit.

The bad news, at LGB today, was the unpleasant scratchy surface giving way to mashed potato as the sun took its toll; the half-term levels of overcrowding, and a lot of 'brave' hot-dogging at 60mph through crowds of schoolchildren; and the completely broken off-piste which was like skiing through the icing and marzipan on a Christmas cake. Virtually nobody was bothering with it, which further exacerbated the on-piste crowding problem. The funnel-like entrance to Lanches in particular looked like a bagatelle with too many balls in it.

WTF of the day: On one of the blues down to Chinaillon we watched as about 5 people in sequence tried to straight line it, and each one ended up stacking it, cartwheeling, with detached skis flying everywhere. I dunno if it was a group of people who thought it was funny to do this, but it was pretty extraordinary to watch people crashing so hard they were lucky to get up and then be followed down the exact same line, at breakneck speed, by someone else who then crashed in the same place... this on a crowded run full of little kids.

Chatelet chair was shut, along with the access green run to Maroly. Going up the Floria instead it was maybe obvious to see why - a full depth, full piste width, crack on the black run above (I think it's 'Pylones' but I can't be bothered to reach for a map to check). Scary stuff. If it goes, there will be literally no snow on that run any more!

Not my favourite day of skiing ever, I'll be honest. Desperately need these temperatures to drop, and a good top up of snow (perhaps a few avalanche purges required first). The pistes are as you would expect to find them in March and without new snow I can only see them getting worse not better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy