Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier / Le Grand Bornand - 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Where is nice for us to eat tomorrow. Must be located on. Green run though.

If you get across to the Chatelet lift (which you can do on blues and greens all the way) then slide down the Lac run it'll take you past the Chalet Du Maroly which for my money is the best stop on the mountain....

Glad you're enjoying it so far.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
[quote="Mr Piehole"]
Where is nice for us to eat tomorrow. Must be located on. Green run though.

From the exit of the main Rosay gondola, look straight out of the door as you exit. Go there.

I think that's the Colombier de Neige that I mentioned way back on about p5 - It's on the R of the green serpentine piste that goes down towards Chinaillon from the Rosay bubble. You can see it down the hill & to your left as you look across at the place where you ate today. Definitely go there. Great food, then Anna can get back by cutting off Serpentine to the left just below it to get onto the Rosay beginners area. Or there's always La Taverne just below the top of your chair - either are great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, have another great day tomorrow. Wrap up warm - it's threatening to be even chillier than today. Linger over that lunch, maybe? snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sooooooo excited..........snow looks great cant wait to get out to La Clusaz in a couple of weeks...not been skiing for a couple of years and so looking forward to it. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kez, should be terrific. there's shedloads of snow in this area and plenty more in the forecast for next week. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's ridiculously freezing! Beautiful snow in LC except they are running many of the snow machines and it is turning into an ice rink in places with the man-made snow - blargh!

Didn't make it to LGB/Chinaillon in the end today - mum and i both slept through alarm - so we are going tomorrow. Went up the Balme this morning and it was minus 15 degrees c. Did not stay there for long!

Rick, if Anna wants some company for a bit I am happy to cruise a few greens. I want to get out to Tete Des Annes and explore out there, it looks epic, but I tire very easily atm - rubbish fitness Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crazy_skier_jules, she is having a day off tomorrow I think. New person has come into chalet this evening. Lovely guy and skiing with him tomorrow, will come back and have lunch with Anna then see if she fancies the afternoon out. Currently -11c at 1355m. Lovely outside very clear. Got some great photos from today, will post when I get home.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daft question but why snow cannons when there is loads of snow already??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kez wrote:
Daft question but why snow cannons when there is loads of snow already??

As with most things the answer is €€€€€€.......

Somewhere over by Le Lac run (the clue's in the name) is a massive reservoir - it feeds the snow cannon. Most well organised, relatively low resorts like LGB will be running the cannon every chance they get at present - doesn't look very likely at the moment but a few weeks of drought and/or warm temperatures can really bug things up piste-wise without the artificial snow piles to fall back on. A couple of years ago Envers was just a winding white stripe through green fields only kept open due to very careful pisteurs and judicious spreading of aforementioned piles.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
It's ridiculously freezing! Beautiful snow in LC except they are running many of the snow machines and it is turning into an ice rink in places with the man-made snow - blargh!

I grumbled about this last year. These resorts really overdo the snow maintenance, so even in times of fantastic copious natural powder, they deliberately turn the pistes into a scratchy mess. Infuriating. I found a few rock-hard patches yesterday in LGB as well (the blue Abondance run seems to be a repeat offender, and the Le Lac return green run from Maroly to Chinaillon).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Piehole, I did the Abondance the other day, t wasn't too bad but if they've been running the cannons it will have got much worse since then! The worst thing is they only seem to be doing it on the beginner's runs, so you just get piles of newbie skiers who have stacked it cos it's so slippery, and the whole thing turns into a mess Sad

Having said that I hate skiing on icy stuff as well!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The bottom of Les Envers yesterday was awful. Boiler plate ice. Couldn't believe how hard and scraped it was, I was the first person down the run, no tracks anywhere. I went down it at around 12.30pm, and somehow it was worse!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fingers are crossed that snow in the UK doesn’t affect my afternoon flight out there on Saturday

Just looking at a good route for our skier who is having a lesson on Sunday afternoon near the Chatelet chair.

Thinking get Le Rosay gondola, go down the green serpentine to the Gettiers chair lift.
Do the blue that runs underneath that chair, is nice and wide so a good warm up for everyone.
Back up the Gettiers lift and then stay right to get onto the Les Fougeres green run to take us to the bottom of the Chatelet chair.

From there we can do a couple of laps with her on the Le Lac circuit, with maybe a little detour round the baby border cross aswell.
That way she’ll be familiar with the runs she’s likely to do on her lesson.

She’s not a complete beginner, can turn etc but hasn’t been in 5 years

That sound like a fairly decent route?

Fingers are also crossed we get some sun throughout the week, temperatures aren't quite as cold by the looks of things so at least it wont be too hard going
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently -10.8c. Sun shinning, whispy cloud in the valleys but high up looks very windy, wind blowing snow off higher mountains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

never skied in LGB so can't comment on the route, but it sounds like quite a lot of skiing. It's easy for a competent skier to overestimate just how little ground a nervous beginner can cover comfortably. Even just one or two very easy runs before the lesson might be enough, unless she's positively keen to take on more. Conditions, and the cold, will make a big difference too. One nice run then in for a long vin chaud, then the same nice run again, might do it! I spent 4 days with a very nervous skier a couple of weeks ago (he's skied a lot, but is pretty slow and simply refuses to take lessons Evil or Very Mad ). Conditions were perfect - warm sun, good snow. I found the best thing was to find a run he liked and keep doing it. I stayed behind him and did all kinds of drills and exercises to keep myself productively occupied - it was really enjoyable, in that weather, but wouldn't be so good in today's temperatures. He needs an entire week of good private lessons but he's 61 and set in his ways. He loved his skiing, though, so I was pleased.
snow conditions
Following the great advice for LGB, I will have a similar problem in La Clusaz next week - we need a mountain-side restuarnt that would be accessible for a (complete) beginner - i.e. on a green run where it is conveniant to meet up
Big portions are a must !

Also, does anyone know of a good guide?! I don't want to ski on my own too much!!!!

P.s. I'm aware that my questions probably belong in another forum, but all the experts are on this one !!! wink
snow report
snowscreen wrote:

Sounds perfect to me - there aren't any scary bits for beginners going that way - one minor tip when you get off the Gettiers lift and start heading across to the Fougeres keep to the left of the next lift pole - the right hand route is narrow and can get bumpy. The signs will point to the right (which is why everyone goes that way) but it's a lot easier to go left of the pole and then swing right under the lift. That'll most likely be the way the ski school will go.

The blue that runs down the left side of the skicross track is nice and usually quiet too.

Oh and look out for the skiing cow handing out chocolate on the piste Mauve....

Have fun
snow conditions
Quote:

the skiing cow handing out chocolate

is the skiing cow 2 people, like a pantomime horse?
snow report
Having looked more closely at a photo it turns out it's a bloke in a suit - how disappointing...

ski holidays
Quote:

it turns out it's a bloke in a suit - how disappointing...

Sad and there's no Santa Claus...
snow conditions
[quote="HTL"]Following the great advice for LGB, I will have a similar problem in La Clusaz next week - we need a mountain-side restuarnt that would be accessible for a (complete) beginner - i.e. on a green run where it is conveniant to meet up
Big portions are a must !

Try the top of the Beauregard bubble. Nice green beginners area, great views and somewhere to eat.
ski holidays
Yes I'd second that for La Clusaz. I was there a couple of years ago with 2 complete beginners and that's where the instructor took them for the first couple of mornings.
snow report
It looks like a fabulous day in LC and LGB on the webcams, hope everyone out there today is having fun Very Happy
latest report
Just got back in after what is the best conditions Ive ever skied in. Anna decided to stay in the chalet today, and has had a lovely relaxing day reading, sleeping, Internet etc. Came back to a hot pot of tea and a lovely lemon drizzle cake, now having a snug on the sofa infront of the fire. Today I skied with someone who joined the chalet yesterday. Great guy and had a really good time skiing.

We skied down the red run Les Envers to the bottom as he had to buy a lift pass, the. Headed up and eventually made our way over to the maroly area. Brilliant runs over there and had a great time. Then we went down and skied douche and skied past the church next to the piste. Made our way back up to Maroly and skied down for Lunch. Afterwards we headed back out and played about in the same area. I had my ski tracks app running and after thinking to myself, that felt very fast, it confirmed I hit 59.7mph! Shocked

I backed off a little after that, and slowly made our way back over towards the chalet.

Conditions are amazing. Still loads of fresh powder out there if that's what people like. On piste, again superb with powdery snow on top of a fast base. At 2.30pm I was still skiing of fresh corduroy on some pistes. I have never been anywhere where it's been so quiet. Pistes are deserted, conditions are great, having a brilliant few days away

As for the ski area, I have to say that it's one of the best kept secrets in France that I know. The odd lift could do with being updated, but tell me a resort that's doesn't need a few updating! Not checked the weather for tomorrow, I hope it's like the past 2 days!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, So happy for you - It's sometimes difficult to be objective about somewhere that you love yourself. To be fair, I suppose the snow conditions and weather are being particularly kind but it's heartening to hear that someone new to the area has also loved it. We have a photo of the little church covered in snow on our desk and it always makes me smile! I hope you and Anna continue to enjoy - it sounds just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-01-13 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

At 2.30pm I was still skiing of fresh corduroy on some pistes. I have never been anywhere where it's been so quiet. Pistes are deserted, conditions are great, having a brilliant few days away

As for the ski area, I have to say that it's one of the best kept secrets in France that I know.

there are plenty of places like that; it's just that the punters keep insisting on going to places full of crowds where all the powder is skied out in half an hour and they think they are doing well if they only have to queue for three minutes for a lift. wink Glad you had such a good day. snowHead
snow report
loatie wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, So happy for you ... I hope you and Anna continue to enjoy - it sounds just what the doctor ordered.
+1
snow report
Still loads of fresh powder out there if that's what people like.

There sure is Smile

Did it snow overnight out there? We went over to Merdassier with Jr today, and it was boot-deep untouched powder on-piste all over the place. Either literally nobody skied yesterday, or there was a fair top-up overnight. Absolutely no attempt had been made to groom anything. Fresh powder tracks on the village nursery run!

Just a slight haze in the air, but blue skies, and the most utterly perfect snow underfoot - especially off the sides as you might expect. Some lovely little cheeky off-piste routes through the trees (big hit with the boy!). Shame it's so cut off from the rest of La Clusaz - although that's presumably why it's always so quiet.

Very very cold today, so it was a good idea to stay below 1600m in the trees!

Powder on the nursery slopes.

Powder everywhere else.

This chap in the red bobble seems to be having a good time. Wink

And this guy.

Empty!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead great stuff.
snow conditions
snowscreen wrote:
From there we can do a couple of laps with her on the Le Lac circuit

I personally wouldn't bother with Le Lac. It's flat and icy and boring. Well the bottom half that goes from left to right on the piste map is. I've never been on the top half. But whenever we use the bottom half to get back to Floria/Chatelet from the Chalet Du Maroly, we always wish we hadn't.

The rest of your plan sounds great though.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, pretty certain it didn't snow, was a bit breezy so maybe some had blown around onto the piste? They have been running the snow cannons all night since we got here, could be that possibly?
snow report
Mr Piehole, stunning photos! Very Happy Just waiting for the snow to start here - it won't be as nice. Sad
ski holidays
Just started snowing very lightly here actually.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, this wasn't windblown or manufactured snow. This was lovely fluff. I just can't believe that on the second day after a snowfall that I'd be putting tracks down in virgin snow ON piste. Ridiculous.
snow report
Mr Piehole, it is very very quiet!!! I was amazed to be skiing of fresh corduroy this afternoon in Maroly!!!
ski holidays
Looking very very good for tomorrow as well...
ski holidays
Except that I have to stay at home to have a washing machine delivered.
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, great news. Still snowing up here, although only very lightly.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, I did pretty much the same as you today! Inc stopping to look at the cute little church, and promptly getting stuck in powder up to my thighs!

Mr Piehole, sounds amazing but not surprising. It is beautifully quiet atm. I am going to do Etale-Merdassier-CroixFry tomorrow, mum is going to snowshoe up there.

Snowed earlier but has stopped now in La Clusaz.

Envers was indeed boilerplate. Stuff up the top of Joyere was quite nice though. I also second the suggestion for the Beauregard in La Clusaz for a beginner, snow is perfect atm.

But do not take the blue down, it's boilerplate on that too.

Well annoyed I missed the Milka cow Sad Sad
ski holidays
Had another lovely day yesterday. Skied all morning then came back to meet Anna for lunch. We eat at the restaurant at the top of the Joyere bubble. Had a rather nice "Steak Hache En Frites". The plan was to ski together, but after lunch Anna was pretty tired, so I got her a hot chocolate, and plonked her on the deck chairs whilst I did Laos if the 3 short runs from the poma and chairlift. At around 2.15 I could see she was getting slightly bored, so we headed to the chalet and called it a day.

Snow conditions yesterday were amazing once again, still lots of fresh snow for people to find. I've take. Some great pics which I will upload when I return. It has been snowing for a few hours up here during the night, quite heavy at 4am. Had a lovely time here in Le Grand Bornand, we will be back at some point!

Flight is at 5.20pm from Geneva to Liverpool. I just hope that there are no delays and we get back without being diverted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy