Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier / Le Grand Bornand - 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Au contraire, we headed out around midday when the restaurants were heaving but the slopes relatively empty. Enjoyed a few quiet runs around Joyere. No queues. Cruisey spring like skiing in the sunshine and Envers run back to LGB virtually empty. On piste holding up well. Back to chalet to start the festivities snowHead Happy Christmas one and all....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had fun - Didn't see any real hooligans (maybe I am one) and the conditions were springlike but quite skiable on the whole.

The Chatelet lift was only closed for an hour or so while they took care of the loose bit - all done now. Admittedly it was fairly busy - but it is Christmas....

Forecast for colder and cloudier tomorrow.

Off out to ski by torchlight down to the Vin Chaud in about an hour. Razz
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christ lets hope for some more snow before the 25th then Shocked

Looking likely that some more will be on the way over the next few days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

before the 25th

before the 25th of what? Not going to be any snow before the 25th of December, that's for sure, but looks like it might be snowing by tomorrow evening. Very warm day today. No skiing today. Went up (and then down) two chair lifts with 9 month old and 2 year old grand-daughters and daughter and son in law. It's not often warm enough to take such small kids up long chairlift without any fear about them getting too cold and hating it!

Ridiculously warm, pistes really quite quiet, not too many queues. The skiers and boarders in the party found some very nice enjoyable slush on piste but said the off piste was like poorly cooked meringue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, oops, meant to say the 15th!!! I'm sure there will be another dump of snow at least before I get out there!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a quick blat around Clusaz today. Balme pistes are in good nick, although very icy. Avi risk down to 2 over that massif at the moment - presumably because everything that might go has already done so. Many many visible scars especially under the the Fernuy gondola.

The middle massif (Aiguille) was characteristically crowded (it literally always is), but nice and quiet up at Balme - although the top lift was closed as it quite often is due to strong winds. Snow quality good on piste all the way down to the valleys, which is rare - although quite icy high up.

Very busy in town, lots of festivities, looks a lovely place to spend Christmas - although not as good as my house which is full of beef and Leffe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Better conditions in the forecast. Should freshen things up quite a lot!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Le-Grand-Bornand/6day/top
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well yesterday was a flat light overcast day, still mild. Overnight we've had a couple of inches of snow and there's snow showers out there now. Forecast is for more and quite a bit more tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get some sun on Friday before we leave. (fingers crossed)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pistes in LGB feeling very refreshed after the overnight snow, and the off piste has been filled in a bit as well. Very changeable weather today. We drove up in the pouring rain, then skied in the sun for a couple of hours, then left just as it started snowing again!

Great conditions out there as long as you chase the breaks in the weather, and duck in for a vin chaud when the clouds roll in.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were slow getting out - getting the kids to put down kindles and ipods is tricky. So we sat out the worst of the weather and found some great sun in the afternoon. I seem to have caught some disease from my youngest who wasn't up to skiing yesterday. Feel like pants. Hope it's a 24hr thing.

Agree with Monsiuer Trou a Tarte (French for Mr Piehole), between the weather it was not at all bad today. Looks like more snow coming tomorrow.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fingers crossed tomorrow falls as snow & not rain

We did night skiing last night, rained, was fairly quiet up there & still pretty good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last day of skiing for us here today. Yesterday was a white out pretty much all day. In the evening and into the night it was really windy.

Today was much quieter - cloudy start and breaking as the day went on - some sunny bits late afternoon. All round pretty good.

Shame it has to end, still tomorrow we'll be in Paris for an overnight and big meal out (eldest son's birthday bash)

Ricklovesthepowder, don't forget to pm me your address.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MazDave, in Scotland at the moment so will do when I get home. Have the pistes freshened up a little with the over recent snowfalls after the thaws?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got back from GB yesterday after my week there, had a great day on Friday after Thursdays fresh snow.
Was very busy though/

Anyway, conditions are often best shown in pictures.....

Here's our holiday video with pictures at the end, 6 minutes, needs sound.
Need to iron out a few timing issues with some pictures

Don't forget to change the playback quality to 720p once you've clicked play

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c
latest report
snowscreen, Lovely footage - Looks like you had a great time. Looking forward to being back on Saturday!
ski holidays
snowscreen, really enjoyed the video - looks like a lovely family holiday! Looking forward to getting back there on the 19th - hoping loatie will work her usual snow magic snowHead
snow report
In rural Scotland so get no 3G to watch the video. Back tomorrow so looking forward to watching it!
snow conditions
The 'forecast', even at 8am this morning was for 'light snow' in the morning and cloudy in the afternoon.

Weather forecasting being the exact science that it isn't this actually translated into 'incredible blue skies with just a few white* wisps of cloud' all day, except for a very brief grey lump that rolled in and then rolled out again at lunchtime.

Pistes are in great shape, both in snow terms, and in terms of withstanding the crowds. Flaine 2 days ago was way way worse than Grand Bo today. The reds down from the Maroly lift had hardly anyone on them for a start. Gypaete from the top was its usual heavily mogulled hilarious self, and there was a fair bit of fun to be had off the sides of most of the Maroly pistes. Hardly 'powder' but pretty skiable for the most part.

We looked off the back of the 'Espace Freeride', did a little bit of wee in our pants, and turned away again. Mahoosive moguls at the drop-in. Skullie

Some nasty icy patches, especially on the top part of Lanches. It's rock-hard blue ice base with a sugary dusting on top. Protip: if you see a few lumps forming on Lanches, Gentianes, Abondance and that neck of the woods don't try and ski around them - ski through them and try and redistribute the snow a bit!

* and occasionally red and green.
snow conditions
gvj, Well it worked for the ski test weekend!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
gvj, will also be flying back out there on the 19th, Jan.
We're in Essex so will be a Stansted flight like you?
snow conditions
Couple of pics from today.

Des Annes, or thereabouts. Protip: don't accidentally have your camera on about -1.3.

Gypaete: Be afraid, then don't be afraid, then go 'woohoo' repeatedly.
snow report
Mr Piehole, Looks terrific!
snow report
snowscreen, we'll be heading down the autoroutes but maybe see you on the slopes? PM us if you like.
latest report
Mr Piehole, love the pics
ski holidays
Is gypate the black run?
snow conditions
Skied GBO today. Never seen a busier ski field and way too many people for my liking. The sunnier pistes toward Rosay gondola were rubbish by the end of the day. Weather was sunny and very warm by afternoon. They need temperatures to drop and a good dump otherwise it is going to be poo by next Saturday. Some of the lifts are looking and performing a bit like Eastern bloc relics.

That said we had a great day and for 30eu for a day pass you can't complain.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Is gypate the black run?

Unpisted red from the top of the Lachat chair. Almost black difficulty some of the time, depending on how big and icy the moguls are.

There is a black from the same spot that joins up with Lanches, but I've never yet had the minerals to do it Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Geno, if you go again, the runs to hit to avoid the worst crowds are :

Any black, if you've got the guts for them. None are a 'just above red' cruise, they're all proper.
Gypaete cos everyone's scared of it (from the top of Lachat, 9/10 people probably take Lanches).
Duche first thing, the crowds arrive later.
Tolar first thing, the crowds arrive later.
Col des Annes is a fairly boring blue run, quite flat, but very pretty and often completely deserted when the rest of the area is heaving.
Tetras and Chardons Blanc off the Maroly chair. (Almost everyone takes the blue option).
Laps of the Almay and Prarion draglifts, meanwhile everyone else in the universe is bumping into each other on the blues under Terres Rouges.
And when on the Chinaillon side, ski between the pistes if you can, rather than on them!

Avoid everything on the Joyere/Rosay side, especially the Envers run back home. The rest of it is basically a beginner's area (and not a particularly good one).

The fast (ish) chairlifts are: Tolar, Maroly, Gettiers, Floria, Lachat. Languieres and Terres Rouges are worth avoiding unless you've no choice.

I was bored enough to sit and write that. Anyone bored enough to read it? Smile
snow conditions
I saw the blacks and they were definite black with absolutely no shade of red. I bottled it as the only outcome was me becoming a human cannonball and skittling some poor sod. Might have had a crack with perfect mogul free snow and no heaving crowd.
ski holidays
Geno, It's not the biggest place in the world - Shame you picked probably one of the busiest days of the year to ski Grand Bo. If you get the chance to go again and take Mr Piehole, advice you may not see too many skiiers all day. Glad you had a good day despite the volume of people.
snow report
Mr Piehole, Agreed on those runs, hit those alot last week when trying to find quiet areas.
Also found the 2 reds off the Chatelet chair very quiet, short runs but no-one used them.
Bois Joli & Pessotays

Terres Rouge chair is extremely slow isn't it, 11 minutes I think they quote while Maroly is 4

Can't wait to be back in 3 weeks and it to be soo much quieter
snow report
Can't wait to get back from scotland to day, to civilisation and proper Internet! Quite a lot of good info on here so I will look into it properly when I get home later in today.

snowscreen, looking forward to the video!

Lets hope that there is another big dump of snow before the 15th when I get out there!
ski holidays
Mr Piehole,
Quote:

Gypaete cos everyone's scared of it
- The run is named after a very large local bird - I quote.... "The bearded vulture is a scavenging raptor which feeds mainly upon bones collected from carcasses of dead vertebrates....... With a wingspan of ca. 3 m....the largest bird in the Alps."
Hmm Confused maybe the locals know something we don't....
snow conditions
We realised that we generally avoid the Etale area of La Clusaz, and had never been to Merdassier/Manigod - so headed that way today.

Getting over was a slog. We went Melezes->Transval->Telemix->Grand Montagne to get over to Merdassier. What a horrible route. Pretty obviously the Manigod bit and the Clusaz bit are connected so that Manigod visitors can ski Clusaz, and not the other way round, but it really is a grim slog to get over that way. Beauregard->Access Etale-> Croix Fry would have been more sensible.

Very icy and sugary snow the whole way. Grand Montagne is a green that requires a traverse across a very steep icy bit of red, and is otherwise a flat pole-along that gives you arms like Popeye. Worst green run ever. Won't be doing that again ever.

Merdassier and Manigod are quite old fashioned, fairly pretty little places. Lots of drags, and only very short runs. Some of them are actually rather nice (Edelweiss and Myrtilles were both great I thought, but woefully short). Quite a lot of kids on the lowest nursery runs as you might expect, but elsewhere was surprisingly quiet.

Every time I've been over to the Etale I've hated it so it was nice to find pleasant wooded slopes beyond. I also think I managed to burst both my testicles on the Chamois draglift. The 'Grand Chamois' next to it, marked 'teleski difficile' was a doddle though...

Okay piccies. As you can see it was the typical New Year's week skiing day. Dreary gloomy early Winter weather, and stupidly crowded slopes... Twisted Evil

ski holidays
Looks good. snowHead Merdassier sounds rude though.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Looks good. snowHead Merdassier sounds rude though.

Haha, yes it does. I thought that too Twisted Evil.
snow report
We were impressed enough with Manigod as a beginners' area that we drove up to Merdassier again to give Piewife a bit of gentle snowboarding practice. The weather wasn't looking too great so we went for that plan rather that than go for a proper 'going for it' ski day and be disappointed with lift closures and poor light etc. Turned out to be quite a good call. Empty roads, empty car park, and empty pistes until about midday when everyone had finally had enough coffee and cigarettes to clear their hangovers.

Very grey all day, with snowfall gradually increasing. Snowing fairly heavily as we left - didn't feel like the big wet fat flakes that will have any effect on the snow depths particularly, but a welcome refresher to cover up some of the bare patches maybe, and fill in a few cracks here and there if it continues through the night. Snow line seemed to be about 1200 or 1300m. It wasn't quite rain down in La Clusaz town but it wasn't quite snow either. Will be interesting to see if there's enough over the next 24 hours to make a difference.

The experience was momentarily marred when some feral children threw a firework at us on the piste. On the off chance that you're reading this and it was your offspring: you are a terrible parent and I hate you and your children and if I ever see you again I'm going to forcibly sodomize you with a lit sparkler. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
snow report
Mr Piehole, Happy new year and please kepe the updates coming!!! The new snow sounds good, and like ot was needed, lets hope that there is more over the next 2 weeks!!! I will hopefully be skiing this time in 2 weeks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
snowscreen, loved the video, really want one of these go pro cameras, whats the best one/deal to go with? Also i dont wear a helmet so how do you attach it to yourself?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy