Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leashes or brakes?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=40079#

AND He says at the end he has found his limit! Finally.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leashes or brakes?

Parachute wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Epic!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ball of steel, super strong and a cool head to match.
the hottest skier on the planet right now.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worth posting the 2nd photo which gives a much better idea of the scale of it.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Knowing Andreas, I'm sure in a year or two he will find something else Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's getting to the stage now that some skiers seem to be seeking out the most gnarly little patch of snow stuck to the most ludicrous piece of rock. It's almost like that woman who has the record for skiing at cairngorm for some stupid number of days
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, it's been that way for decades, plenty of descents in the alps that haven't seen a repeat!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

plenty of descents in the alps that haven't seen a repeat!

Or Hemel roof
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://andreasfransson.blogspot.co.uk/

Sounds terrifying! I love this quote though:

"It was a wonderful feeling mixed with plain fear. The skiing is always skiing, and not that complicated..."
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My lord.

Did a chopper drop him off I assume?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parkesy, no he climbed up the route and skied back down. Just from the top of the snow ramp rather than the top of the mountain as half of the climb is on rock rather than snow!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's unbelievable
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

plenty of descents in the alps that haven't seen a repeat!

Or Hemel roof

LOL.
snow report
meh wrote:

Thanks for the link meh.

Mad. As a box of frogs.
snow report
Brakes. Leashes are good in theory but nobody under70 used them
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
meh wrote:

Thanks for the link meh.

Mad. As a box of frogs.

There are many here (Chamonix) who are, but I have to honestly say Andreas isn't one of them. It isn't Bravado or Balls he just IS that good!

Although if you want to see the slightly warped side of things see

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/story/_/id/8366141/new-film-tempting-fear-profiles-ski-mountaineer-andreas-fransson
ski holidays
Nickski wrote:
I am 64 and I skied with my parents till 1963 with a strap around the ankle to retain the ski, as was normal. A lot of ski accidents then involved the released ski coming round and hitting or cutting the skier. When I started skiing again in 1983 I discovered that skis now had brakes.
ski holidays
Respect!

Some people's minds, and talent, is just on another level.
ski holidays
Idris, well given he questions if it was even skiing and doesn't want to do anything like it again I think his marbles are very intact. The former point is very important, if you're side stepping down a lot of the route then you're not doing it in style and it becomes mountaineering with skis on rather than ski mountaineering. There have been a few TRs from the States posted on the interwebs where people have basically rapped, side-stepped, gingerly kick turned a bit, side-stepped more, rapped before finally skiing down the apron. I don't think you could call that skiing in any real sense of the word its just mountaineering with skis on. The skis just being used as a platform to stand on.
snow report
meh, pffft... I think I know the TR you mean and as the man said, "Is it skiing? Yest because we have skis on." Wink
snow conditions
Arno, thats the fella, is it on TGR or did I read it somewhere else? I couldn't find it with a brief search but it's the first thing Andreas' blog post made me think of.
snow conditions
It is on TGR but I think the author also has a blog. The line was called Plinko and I liked the quote in my post so much I appropriated it as my signature Cool
latest report
Found it!

http://www.noahhowell.com/2010/11/plinko/

Didn't realise he's the same guy to ski the whole of The Chuting Gallery. I have the book on my bookshelf for inspiration and if I ever make it out to the Wasatch.
snow report
meh, that's a really good point. For me what's so impressive about Andreas Fransson's descent is that it just looks like regular skiing, even though it's on insanely steep terrain which is so exposed that a fall would certainly be fatal.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Nickski wrote:
I am 64 and I skied with my parents till 1963 with a strap around the ankle to retain the ski, as was normal. A lot of ski accidents then involved the released ski coming round and hitting or cutting the skier. When I started skiing again in 1983 I discovered that skis now had brakes.

As kids we wore helmets to protect ourselves for that very reason (and loose T-bars eg White lady). First brakes I saw were optional extras on Sally 222s... Pointing forwards (!)they changed the risk factors while skiing on Scotland's heather ridden pistes Shocked

I am not 64.

I am not mad.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
meh, that's a really good point. For me what's so impressive about Andreas Fransson's descent is that it just looks like regular skiing, even though it's on insanely steep terrain which is so exposed that a fall would certainly be fatal.
Yes, you only have to look at the photo above to see that he is doing normal turns (you can see his track from walking up, immediately to skiers' left).

PS I'm not mad either (I think).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 27-09-12 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
snowball wrote:
Nickski wrote:

As kids we wore helmets to protect ourselves for that very reason (and loose T-bars eg White lady). First brakes I saw were optional extras on Sally 222s... Pointing forwards (!)they changed the risk factors while skiing on Scotland's heather ridden pistes Shocked

I am not 64.

I am not mad.

oh yeah.. I remember forward facing brakes Smile
snow conditions
feef wrote:
under a new name wrote:
snowball wrote:
Nickski wrote:

I am not 64.

I am not mad.

oh yeah.. I remember forward facing brakes Smile

Park and fly
latest report
Nickski wrote:

I beg to differ. I used leashes in the 80s, mind you they were army skis and therefore old and basic. snowHead

PS @ 56 I'm along way off 70 snowHead
snow report
Wow, that really is a crazy line. What I find really interesting is that Andreas comes across as thoughtful and eloquent. It makes a refreshing change from the usual pro skier language, which is usually all "gnarly rad wild dude."
snow conditions
I used leashes too, in the early 90's but that was on mono-skis Smile
ski holidays
i use leashes for my touring skis right now. leash haterz need to catch up Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
i use leashes for my touring skis right now. leash haterz need to catch up Twisted Evil

I had an exciting experience last season; went over an icy bump, vertically prereleased out of my dynafits, apparently with a twisting fall to the right. Result? the heelpiece that popped out got twizzled round far enough to lock the brakes in tour mode, and the ski shot off into a crevasse. Good times!

I have some leashes for this coming season.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 28-09-12 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Serriadh, Shocked Laughing
snow report
Serriadh, i started using leashes due to the crapness of dynafit brakes. they are quite good for locking the skis together when you carry them on your shoulder but pretty useless for actually stopping the ski IME
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
Serriadh, i started using leashes due to the crapness of dynafit brakes. they are quite good for locking the skis together when you carry them on your shoulder but pretty useless for actually stopping the ski IME

I've often considered leashes in addition to brakes.

I've actually been contemplating a combination device, which would work as both a leash and a powder tail/tape/ribbon.

This bit which is requiring the most brainwork is a method to ensure that the leash breaks free and becomes a tape if the force is great enough so if you're caught in an avalanche or some other situation where you don't want to be tied to your skis, then it breaks free and becomes a tracer so you can find the ski. Also, that while it's a leash, it's not 2m long Smile
latest report
Quote:

Leashes or brakes?

I suspect the reality is bindings set to 18 or possibly more and the absolute confidence that if the ski comes off you're already dead.
snow report
Arno wrote:

This. But I also agree that they make a reasonably useful ski tie, but a pretty hopeless method of keeping your skis with you. Of course the answer to that is: don't fall over.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy