Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade v other Salzberg Ski Area's like - Zell am See/kaprum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
anyone out there got some feedback on these 2 area?
I've got an opportunity to stay in Filzmoos or Mittersill for the season.
Where would you choose? I'm an semi-advanced (mainly red and some black from time to time) and don't do much off piste (too scared)
thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amade definately for me, zell and kaprun aren't linked so you have to bus between them, the queues to get up the kitzsteinhorn are manic, and the maisgogel isn't linked to it either, ski Amade has excellent new lifts linking resorts and I love it there! Just my opinion
snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
golfel, Filzmoos links in to the Sport Amadé most easily, not Zell! The resort links with a bus to Flachau. If you have a car you can get around to a lot of the resorts quite easily. It is not that far to drive to a whole variety of areas. The slopes at Filzmoos it self are quiet and relatively easy and certainly not enough to keep you happy for a whole season.

Mittersil connects more directly with the Kitzbühel system via the Panoramabahn out of Höllersbach. The trip to Zell am See is way longer as the road travels through several villages before you reach Zell. Mittersil itself is a nice little town but I would hazard a guess that it is not party central! It is at the bottom of Pass Thurn (coming from Kitzbühel).

Queues to the Kitzsteinhorn can be bad, but that is usually at weekends outside of the main skiing season. When all the gondolas and chairlifts are working, it is not too bad.

To take advantage of both locations I would strongly advise having a car to cut the waiting and travelling time to the lifts. All the car parks in Austrian ski resorts are free by the way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Filzmoos is beautiful but the skiing is limited. A good 30 mins drive to get to Pichl (Reiteralm) or in the other direction for Altenmarkt/Flachau/Zuachensee. Same problem at Mittersill I would imagine.

Wouldn't Kitzbuhel be a better better ski area from Mittersill?

EDIT: Beaten by Sue, who really knows her stuff
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
golfel,

Yep Sue's the woman to ask about Ski Amade.

Zell is much more limited and fine if you just want an easy holiday skiing the same runs most days and don't mind jumping on a bus for 20 mins over to Kaprun if you want a change, where it wins is as more of an all round Alpine resort with lots to do other than skiing. Be aware though that Mittersill is about half an hour away by car from Zell and as Sue and Frosty say the more obvious ski area from there would be Pass Thurn linking into Kitzbuhel and then the Ski Welt.

Kitzsteinhorn is most popular when there little snow elsewhere, either because of the lack of it or out of season. It can also be very cold as you are ski-ing between 2000 and 3000m up there. That said a clear sunny day or two there would be well worth it for the views alone.

I've not been in Filzmoos, just looked at it from across the valley when skiing with Sue. From memory it is not any bigger a place than Mittersill (maybe even smaller) but is marketed as a resort to Brits so may appeal more?

If you've got a car and buy the Salzburg Super Ski card which covers all of the Salzburgerland and then some (for literally small change more than a local pass) then you can ski them all anyway and your decision IMHO would then be based upon which is the nicer accommodation, given that your gonna be living in it for 4 or 5 months?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Everyone,
thanks so much for your replies...they are most helpful. We are going to get the Salzbug Super Ski card and would like to ski as many of the areas as possible. It is excellent value as you said robboj.....worth it for a season pass.
We are not into partying....so being in a smaller village is fine and we will have a car, so transport is not an issue and i'd say we'd be driving to most places. Last year we where in the French Alps and only had a motorbike.....bbbbrrrrrr....so this year will be much easier and more comfy.
My real concern is that if most of the best skiing is in and around Kitzbuhel & Kaprum (as examples only) due to weather or snow conditions then am I going to be frustrated driving back to Filzmoos everyday and/or vv.
Filzmoos location seems fine for Ski Amade areas...but a little out of the way for the other Salzburgerland Ski Area's. Mittersill, doesn't seem too bad for Salzburgerland areas, but not so good for Ski Amade.
Reason we have these 2 places as options is that we have found some accommodation for 800pm all inc...full furnished apartments with car park...which is quite good value from what I've heard. Many of the other places that are better located are much, much more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
golfel, you simply orientate yourself on the areas you are closest too in bad weather. I don't know where you get the idea that one area is "the best" All these decisions are relative and totally subjective. I often ski the Kitzbühel area as it is not so far from where I live, but my favourite areas are all in the Sportwelt Amadé area which is further away. I recently re-discovered the Hochkönig area and this season I am determined to ski the Großarl region and over to the Gastein Valley more than I have done in recent years. The skiing in Zell and Kaprun is good but not so super that I would base myself there or nearby for a season. Way too much other stuff both closer and more interesting. You have not looked to the west of Mittersill where there is excellent skiing in the Zillertal Arena (Gerlos is closer than Zell I think).

I live about 100kms from the Amadé area, but have bought season tickets since I moved out here. This year I will be buying not only the Salzburg Superski season card, I will also get the Tirol Card as it gives me the widest possible choice possible. The Tirol Card gives me access to all the Tirol glacier areas from 1st October this year to 15th May next year, so if I only use it for the glacier areas, I will get my money's worth. I usually drive over to wherever I'm skiing each day and then drive home at the end of the day. I've never been "stuck" as such, some trips have been interesting, some have been quite a bit longer than I would wish for. Road clearing is excellent and never a problem even in the worst storms, other drivers are usually the worst hazard!

Filzmoos is well located not only for the Amadé resorts, it is also very close to Schladming and the various resorts in that area, all of which are on the Salzburg Superski card. I think the price you have is OK for the apartment but nothing out of the ordinary. Mittersill I think will be cheaper all in all than Filzmoos as the latter is a year round holiday village and can attract good prices.

You are never going to ski every slope in every resort in the region wherever you end up - it just is not feasible or fun! You will decide on two or three places that you enjoy the most and ski there, getting to know the slopes and the facilities, whether you realise it or not. I would look at the travelling and the options you have to explore interesting places at your own pace. Both the Tirol Card and the Salzburger Super Ski Card offer excellent value for money and whichever location you decide to accept, you will have a fabulous season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With a car and a Salzburger Super Ski Card, the world, golfel, is your lobster.

I'd choose Mittersill over Filzmoos, but that's because I know Kitzbuhel/Saalbach-Hinterglemm/Zell am See/Maria Alm-Hochkonig better than I know the eastern side of Salzburgerland, but whatever the weather, you're going to be hard pushed to ski even these areas in a season, never mind getting over to Flachau/Zauchensee/Schladming etc in the east.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All,
Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies and advice. Both options actually fell though and we have now found something in Bischofshofen which I am really excited about as its a good base for the Salzburg Super Ski pass.
I have noted all your comments about the different ski area's and I'm sure we'll be hard pressed to get 1/2 of them done in the one season.
Thanks again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
golfel, nice one for sorting yourself out. If you're in Bischofshofen, it's an easy train journey up to the Gastein valley. Being bias, i'd recommend a trip! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Have a great season!!

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy