Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis are right for me

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, longtime lurker first time poster Embarassed

I'm thinking about buying skis this year and looking for some advice as the choice out there seems to be phenomenal.

I would consider myself a 6 on the ability scale and to date have done 90% of my skiing on piste with a small bit off piste (between/to the side of runs rather than proper off piste) as my confidence has grown and I would hope as I get more experience to increase the percentage of off piste.

Fitness wise, I wouldn't be anywhere close to being an athlete, but I would normally try to ski to the last lift most days and weigh about 94 kg (which will hopefully be closer to 90 by the time January comes round) and am 188cms in height.

I'm probably leaning towards an all mountain style ski and would like to get 3 or 4 years out of them before changing (skiing one or two weeks per year).

Last year I got a pair of Salomon enduro XT800's from the hire shop and found them really good, but in reality they are probably too good for my current ability, so in that style of ski I have looked at Salomon RXT800's and Atomic Blackeyes. Are there any others I should be considering? (The head Rev range looks to get good reviews, but again probably above my current ability?)

Also, what length/width should I be looking at with my height and weight, last year I had 175's, but should I go slightly longer on a rocker tip ski?

Thanks for the help Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/196461/products/k2_aftershock_12_skis_with_marker_glide_control_12_0_bindings.aspx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is so much choice in this category, personally like the atomic blackeyes think they are a great ski, maybe worth having a look at the Ti with your weight as you will probably not struggle to flex it. Same goes with the salomon XT800 for someone of your weight they will probably be quite manageable.

Could also check out things like the K2 Rictor or as a wild card a Scott Reverse.

There are some seriously good skis about at the moment and I can't see you being disipointed in any!

Welcome to snowheads by the way!

Dan
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynastar Outland 80's

You can get them from below at v good price

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/product/Ski-Hardware/Skis/Recreational-Carver/DYNASTAR/OUTLAND-80-+-NX-11-FLUID/-16015

and they have 184cm which for your height of 188cm will be spot on

Snowfits price of £237.85 for a set of 80mm waist rocker skis which have very good write ups is a bargain.

I bought my Outland 80's in Decathlon sale for £249.99 and thought that was a good price.

Reviews on the Outland below

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88088

I am 181cm and use the 178 cm 3-5cm shorter than your height is a rough guide, though if you were happy on 175cm skis last year, you could probably ski them in 178cm

http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/outland-80_DA2KT01_product_dynastar-skis-men-all-mountain.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice (and welcome) everyone. I don't think I have ever put so much effort into a purchase before. I think I spent less time deciding the last time I changed my car Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Enda, It shouldn't be so complicated (coming from a man that loves cars) there is so much good product on the market that you won't be disipointed in anything you buy, I've skied so many skis now and don't think I have hated anything (other than hell bents but thats more of a love hate relationship...) Just get advice on what level ski will suit you and the rest is easy! Smile

Scott reverse is awesome by the way! Wink and may help you explore more of the soft stuff compared to the system skis!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just joined the forum for some advice too. I'm going through the exact same dilemma Enda, and I really appreciate how overwhelming the choice is! Especially when ski preference is so subjective. You read 3 pro reviews of the same ski, and you get 3 different opinions as to the ski's level suitability, on/off piste ratio etc..and without spending a fortune, as individuals, we can't possibly test all the options. Anyway, I'm of lesser build than Enda, 172cm H, 68-70kg, reasonably fit and agile, and probably around a level 6/7 not particularly aggressive, with some practical off piste but using totally unsuitable skis! So, I am looking at the following with a view to going a bit further afield on the mountain:

Atomic Blackeye standard NOT Ti version 167cm
K2 Impact 167cm
Salomon Enduro RXT 800 168cm
Salomon Enduro XT800 168cm
Rossignol Experience 83 168cm

Any opinions on these, or indeed any similar I should check out?

Thanks in advance Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy