Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
The age old questions I suppose - St Anton is calling this season. There will be a group of 4 of us hopefully and we are looking for affordable accomadation. Where is best to look and what deals have snowheads came accross in the past? Accom only preffered but really anywhere thats cheap (I know - St Anton and cheap!)

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin., Here..............

http://www.arlbergurlaub.com/deutsch/steffeler.htm

Pros:- Cheap, clean, 50m from the slopes, central location for après and eating out, decent breakfast, warm rooms
Cons:- can be noisy location early hours after Picadilly closes, bit dated

Suggest sending them an email best direct
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Mark will check them out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and every room comes with 2 females wearing only a towel each!

RESULT!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, Yeah but they're munters! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin. wrote:
There will be a group of 4 of us hopefully and we are looking for affordable accomadation. Where is best to look and what deals have snowheads came accross in the past? Accom only preffered but really anywhere thats cheap (I know - St Anton and cheap!)

Try
http://www.arlberg.com/index.php?id=6&L=1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What sort of accom? Hotel, B&B, Self catering? Also, when and for how long?

If you want a week out of the peak season then you will have no problem, start of with the tourist office website at www.stantonamarlberg.com

If you want to do a long weekend then it tends to be more difficult... but it is possible.

We found cheap (relatively speaking) self catering at Tom Dooley's - http://www.tomdooley.at/set.htm. It's not "high end" but it's a good location and one of the cheapest you'll find. Be aware, the rooms are above a pub, noise wasn't a problem for us, but the smell of smoke from the bar was annoying, so I probably wouldn't stay there again to be honest, but the owner is nice enough and the pub is one of of my favourites.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Were thinking of a week in January, pref towards the end.

Any accom considered, cheapness is the key word.

Thanks for the replies, I have sent a few emails.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
January is good - probably the quietest month (but these days I don't think St Anton is ever quiet, except maybe in early December).

There are a lot of nice B&Bs at around the €50-60 per night mark, so if that's your budget you should be OK. Good luck!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If budget is an issue, try a bit further down the valley, eg St Jakob or even a little further. Might however cramp your après.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin., Good shout by ulmerhutte, try Haus Allgau in St Jakob, on free ski bus route, 10 mins to lifts, no hassle (details on main St Anton/ Arlberg Tourist Info websites)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton is an awesome place, you will have a god time. I went with a few friends and really enjoyed it. Go to Hazienda for something to eat and also pomodoro if you want pizza.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin., Haus Kleinhans should be worth an email. Franz runs a comfortable and affordable b & b a 10 mn walk up Alte Arlbergstrassse from the centre. It's close to the Galzig and Rendl base stations.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin., Haus Harry is also OK in a similar location to davidthornton, 's place ^
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys, looking forward to it.
latest report
Martin.,

If you are going to St Anton you really should try going with a guided off-piste group. St Anton really is an off-piste resort, and you will just scratch the surface skiing on piste. There are so many off-piste routes in the Arlberg. I would definitely do some skiing with Piste to Powder, or one of the other guiding operations out there. They cater for all levels.
snow conditions
Be aware that the end of Jan is a busy period. I was there the week starting 23 Jan 2012 and had booked a room until Saturday when I was hoping to add 2 more nights on site. However they had a medical convention (it's an annual event) and also they had a Red Bull sponsored hut ski race (don't know if that's a regular thing) and the town and surrounding satellites were completely booked. I had to depart early. Ask the tourist office to send you their hotel brochure (maybe also available online?) and contact b&bs that way. Or ask TO to sort you out, they're usually very helpful. Good location and usually cheaper are places on the Alte Arlbergstrasse (which is the uphill bit from Rendlbahn roundabout). There is a free skibus for places further up the road.
snow report
Also, an appartment would be cheaper.
ski holidays
snowman wrote:
Be aware that the end of Jan is a busy period. I was there the week starting 23 Jan 2012 and had booked a room until Saturday when I was hoping to add 2 more nights on site. However they had a medical convention (it's an annual event) and also they had a Red Bull sponsored hut ski race (don't know if that's a regular thing) and the town and surrounding satellites were completely booked. I had to depart early. Ask the tourist office to send you their hotel brochure (maybe also available online?) and contact b&bs that way. Or ask TO to sort you out, they're usually very helpful. Good location and usually cheaper are places on the Alte Arlbergstrasse (which is the uphill bit from Rendlbahn roundabout). There is a free skibus for places further up the road.

I was there at that time last year. We had no trouble getting an apartment for a long weekend booking at about this time of year. It's not that busy, which is presumably why they have the Red Bull event then, to try and drum up trade in what would otherwise be a quiet month.
latest report
A group of us stayed here back in January - the Chalet Alpenheim, with Inghams

http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/hotels/item346003/chalet-alpenheim/?departurePoint=LGW&dateFrom=05/01/2013&duration=7&adults=2&children=0&infants=0

Very reasonably priced (for St Anton!), and a short ski to the Nasserein gondola. It was only a 5 minute walk into the town centre, and very quiet.

Food was good, staff helpful, I'd recommend it.
latest report
JayDub wrote:
Martin.,

If you are going to St Anton you really should try going with a guided off-piste group. St Anton really is an off-piste resort, and you will just scratch the surface skiing on piste. There are so many off-piste routes in the Arlberg. I would definitely do some skiing with Piste to Powder, or one of the other guiding operations out there. They cater for all levels.
Indeed this is to be reccomended - we ski trailed from Stanton to Lech and Zurs about 4 years ago with a guide - it was absolutely brilliant and we're not exactly extreme skiers.

Great place - will go back there next year (Ischgl this time after Serfaus last year)
snow conditions
oofaafuu, How did you like Serfaus? Thinking of going there next winter.
snow report
Just booked up for WC 26/01/13 through Sidney Reilly.

http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/index.htm

Any further tips on where to ski/drink/eat would be good.
snow report
Quote:

Skiing - too much to put in here but highly recommend the White Ring starting in Zurs - the run down to Zug is quite simply one of the best runs I've enjoyed. Personally I prefer skiing around Rendl as it's quiet, as is Zurs and Stuben. Always nice to lunch/ski around Oberlech if the sun's out.
Drinking/eating - again too much to put on here. Suffice to say that we always manage a post ski beer at Griabli (opposite the Mooserwirt) - great service, best beer in town, good food and rocking apres when the Snowtones play there (I think they're only doing a Monday this year - they play in Piccadilly the rest of the week and definitely one of the apres highlights). You will need to do the Mooserwirt and Krazy Kanguruh to tick off the boxes. If going to the Moos always put your skis at the back of the Griabli (so they don't get lost in the mayhem) having a few beers in the place before popping over to the Moos - you can be waiting quite a while to get a beer at the Moos. Underground on the Piste is a good wee place for some apres too - depending on how good the musician is - this year the guy was pants. Piccadilly is a must to see the Snowtones and you can also go to Kandahar (accross the road) to see Gunar - personally I think the Snowtones are better. You should also do lunch at Hospitz Alm in St Christoph - expensive but large portions and also the Berghaus in Stuben.
Overall though, there is just so many great things to choose from that it's hard to do it any justice by writing a few lines on here.
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Quote:

Skiing - too much to put in here but highly recommend the White Ring starting in Zurs - the run down to Zug is quite simply one of the best runs I've enjoyed. Personally I prefer skiing around Rendl as it's quiet, as is Zurs and Stuben. Always nice to lunch/ski around Oberlech if the sun's out.
Drinking/eating - again too much to put on here. Suffice to say that we always manage a post ski beer at Griabli (opposite the Mooserwirt) - great service, best beer in town, good food and rocking apres when the Snowtones play there (I think they're only doing a Monday this year - they play in Piccadilly the rest of the week and definitely one of the apres highlights). You will need to do the Mooserwirt and Krazy Kanguruh to tick off the boxes. If going to the Moos always put your skis at the back of the Griabli (so they don't get lost in the mayhem) having a few beers in the place before popping over to the Moos - you can be waiting quite a while to get a beer at the Moos. Underground on the Piste is a good wee place for some apres too - depending on how good the musician is - this year the guy was pants. Piccadilly is a must to see the Snowtones and you can also go to Kandahar (accross the road) to see Gunar - personally I think the Snowtones are better. You should also do lunch at Hospitz Alm in St Christoph - expensive but large portions and also the Berghaus in Stuben.
Overall though, there is just so many great things to choose from that it's hard to do it any justice by writing a few lines on here.

That's great, thanks. I must say I'm excited about St Anton more than any ski trip in the last few years.

We'll have a hire car so getting over to Zurs etc shouldn't be a problem.
snow report
boabski, You mean the "boom boom boom" guy, if so he was lousy, agreed! Greatlace, scary Aussie owner eh? Any those shots, ha happy days in there!

Martin., At Zurs park in the free car parks on left or right as you come not the village. Echoing what's been said above, Griabli, Base Camp, Mooserwirt ( has to be done once at least), Taps, Anton Bar, Bobos, Bar Cuba, loads to go at! Great food.....skiing not bad too wink
ski holidays
Mooserwirt is also a great place for lunch. Very good food, quite expensive on the face of it, btu becomes good value when you see the size of the portions (seriously, one burger is plenty for two [even really hungry] people)!
snow report
^ agreed. I had the kids chicken nuggets and could only eat two of them! Two of our group shared the ribs and they looked delish. Oh and one guy ordered a sandwich, which was the biggest 'sandwich' I'd ever seen. More of a loaf, and it was served on a piece of log!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom W wrote:
oofaafuu, How did you like Serfaus? Thinking of going there next winter.
Serfaus is fine, it's quieter than St Anton, but the skiing is very extensive, and there are not many queues.

See this thread for the reviews

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84927&highlight=
latest report
Do any nearby resorts get included on the lift pass for an away day? Except Arlberg areas Zurs/Lech etc
snow conditions
The regular pass covers St Anton / Stuben / Lech / Zurs and Sonnenkopf (Klosterle).
snow conditions
Thought I'd bump this into 2013 as people will be coming back/going to St Anton.
ski holidays
Also, any decent supermarkets en route from Friedrichschafen to St Anton? Decent pubs/bars in the evening (after apres/dinner) that wont be playing ALL germanic techno?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy