Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early season trip - worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Am I being being over optimistic in trying plan a trip as early as 8/12?

While its tempting to pick up cheap flights and hotels for a long weekend are the conditions anywhere likely to be worth the cost?

I realise that I have probably asked this before but I am a little concerned that its not worth it. Are lifts suiting Blue/Red skiers open then?

I favour Austria/Germany/Switzerland as I can be in Friedrichshafen for very reasonable money. I will look at France but there is a premium on the trainfare that I have to justify.

I am desperate to ski, but is my keenness misplaced.

Thanks

Mick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup, OK, it's in France but we're going to Val D'Isere 8-11 Dec. Done plenty of trips from Mid Nov onwards since 1999 (relocated near cheap airport) always had fun. Snow can be a bit variable. Last year not great, year before sort of powder, ish. You'll probably get better advice near your neck of the woods from others.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes its worth risking it, but go high preferably with a nearby glacier for added assurance. I've skied Tignes/Val d'Isere several times at that time of year and had great trips with lots of skking available. This season I will be on my second trip by 8 December, so I hope there's snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, for instance if I do opt for resorts in and around BSM what's the best way to get there? I can get from London to Lyon really quickly but then its just as long to transfer to BSM, or similar points. Is the drive suitable from Lyon or should I aim for Moutiers and get a bus transfer. Would prefer the car as would have more flexibility.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micksup, train to Lyon and then hire car would be very convenient. This link shows resort opening times in France: you have the choice from at least Alp d'Huez, Les duex Alpes, La Rosiere (from the 10th), some of the Trois Vallees (also from 10th, except for Val Thorens which opens earlier), Tignes and Val d'Isere. You could base yourself in Bourg Saint Maurice and drive to whatever resort you wanted (snow permitting) or that early in the season you should get low priced accommodation in the resort of your choice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have to go via Lyon, consider Les Deux Alpes (or ADH depending on conditions). About 1.5 hours if you get your foot down vs 2.5-3 to the Tarentaise resorts
ski holidays
 brian
brian
micksup, plenty of options in Austrian and Switzerland as well. Zermatt and Saas Fee, for instance, will have guaranteed skiing, although I guess they're a long way from Germany !

Plenty of Austrian glaciers, Stubai, Hintertux etc. and as the skiable bits of glaciers don't (in general) have steep gradients you're guaranteed easy blue/reds. Only one I've been to is Stubai and that was in summer, lovely valley though the Stubaital, very close to Innsbruck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skiied at Hintertux in August and they are certainly fairly comfortable reds/blues at the top there. I imagine that there would be lots more open by December there. Not far from Innsbruck, a bit further from Salzburg.

Another to keep an eye on would be Ischgl, loads of blues/reds there and usually opens last week of November. That can't be far from Friedrichshafen- I would guess about 2.5 hours.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone so far. I hope see my quandary(sp), Austria does really attract due to its price and the fact that the journey time is very quick via Friedrichshafen, however the French resorts (where we are off to in late Jan) may have better snow in early Dec. However I guess at the end of the day its only £150 wasted on flights if there is no snow so perhaps I should plump for that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obergurgl in Austria will open before any French resort as usual, they'll probably be good skiing at Solden, Pitztal and the Stubai as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
micksup, I've had good skiing in Pitztal in October - so Dec will be fine. An early season trip is ALWAYS worth it ! Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know about the prices in Austria but here in ADH at the begining of the season you can get some real bargins, you also get 2 free days skiing in Deux Alpes which should give you a bit more piste if the conditions here aren't perfect. Would you be on your own?, I could get you a quote either on a self-catered apartment or in a hotel some friends run.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Sarah, we would be a party of 4, (kids 7 and 3). I have still to book anything but if you can suggest anything I would be interested. Flights or train down to Grenoble are still cheap so this really is an option, many thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
micksup, Hi - here are a couple of ideas, depends really on your budget:

Le Meteor, very close to the lifts, slopes (100m) and shops & ski hire. A spotless recently re-furbished studio with bunks and a sofa bed all linen included for 8th - 15th December = 390 euros (97.50 euros per person).

Sapineres, less than 100m from the high street with shops, pool, ice-skating etc and about 200m from the beginner slopes (with a further 250 slide down a green to the ski school) One bedroom, living room etc... 460 euros (with linen)

Kandahar, almost on the beginner slopes (25m) and about 100m from the ski school, hire shops and restaurants (high street about 3 mins walk on the flat). Largeish studio with a big alcove curtained off area with bunks and a living/kitchen area with a sofa bed = 475 euros including linen.

Edelweiss, in the old (pretty) part of the resort just 100m from the bucket lift, normally able to ski back to within 100m of apartment. 1 double bedroom, bunks in a 'real' alcove and a sofa bed in lounge = 525 euros(with linen).

Give me a shout if any of the above appeal,

Sarah
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah@alpedhuez, my sincere apologies for not getting back to yet. I think in fact Alpe De Huez will be our destination for our late January trip, flights to Grenoble already booked and paid for. Will be in touch nearer the time.
ski holidays
micksup, Cool - keep me posted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy