Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmets - south wales area

Poster: A snowHead
As topic suggests, im in the market for a new helmet, wondering if anyone has suggestions on best place to try and buy in the south wales area???
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb, Cheapest is Helly Hansen in Bridgend's MacArthur Glen, but you'll have to take what's available on the day
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah i do keep an eye on mcarthur glen.... its a shame that the 'ski lodge' in cardiff has closed, they had a good range of helmets...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mining or Skiing? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can only suggest Coyoti in Cowbridge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bob, back in yer box! Thanks to a lovely blonde haired lady from Grantham there's been no mining round here for a long while (tower apart). The OP could try Cotswolds or two seasons in Cardiff. Sometimes the general sports shops in Cardiff have a small selection of helmets.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Lodge, Cardiff Bay.

Snow and Rock in Bristol ain't that far away and potentially of all 3 (Coyoti, Ski Lodge) shops has the largest stock at any time
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or pembrey
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried Cotswolds and two seasons to no avail... Ski lodge is now closed for business which is a shame! Also coyoti seem to have a limited choice according to the website, is this the case or do they have more than the site suggests?!

Bob, lol, if only it was a mining helmet I was after, I'd be spoilt for choice Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I may end up going over the bridge... I'm keen to try on a few smith helmets!

Flow, I'm curious about pembray, what is the stock like?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomb wrote:
Ski lodge is now closed for business which is a shame!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wow. Think they were in the wrong place in Barry but equally they moved to a worse place in the Bay.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definite business opportunity for someone to open a ski shop north of Cardiff on the M4 area. Who will do ski servicing now in South Wales Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, you are right. Putting the shop in the Bay may not have been the right idea. At least the place in Barry was (probably) cheap. And M4 corridor would be a better call than the Bay - bigger catchment area. Ski Lodge used to have a great selection of helmets (bought one myself in January, and they made sure that it all fitted, recommending the cheapest helmet that I tried on), along with some goggles.

I do think that there is a limited market in South Wales for a Ski Lodge type of ski shop (big, lots of choice, lots of expensive kit), especially considering the skiing season is so short. In Cardiff alone you have lots of competition for clothing and low end kit from the likes of TKMaxx, Mountain Warehouse, Blacks and Sports World or whatever it is called today. I don't change ski jacket and ski trousers each year and if I am buying for the kids I ain't gonna spend a lot because it'll only last one or two seasons before they have grown out of it. Also, I would have thought that the impetus to buy your own boots and skis is less than it used to be. The last couple of times I have been skiing the hire boots were fine, and carriage of boots and skis is more expensive and troublesome than it was.

So, as for many things you need in South Wales (like a decent airport), looks like the OP'll be heading to Bris'l.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, yeah I second that... it is a shame that the ski lodge shut but I really couldn't work out how they survived financially? Especially since they were so ski specific, i really wondered what they sold in the summer months??!

I think I will try both mcarthur glen and coyoti to see if they have anything and failing that it may mean a day trip to Bristol :/

I really like the look of the smith varient helmet, I'm really tempted to take a punt and buy one online...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb, good call. Cotswold typically has a choice of one or two helmets and two seasons isn't likely to come up with any bargains.
snow report
tomb wrote:
dobby, yeah I second that... it is a shame that the ski lodge shut but I really couldn't work out how they survived financially? Especially since they were so ski specific, i really wondered what they sold in the summer months??!

Ah there lies the answer to the question. In Barry they opened for the Winter, sold only Winter ski gear and did a huge amount of ski servicing and if you had ever been to the Barry site I best the rent was next to nowt. Lots and lots of those who popped in for ski servicing bought something. The new site in the Bay didn't seem to do as much servicing and the move to the Bay left them trying to open for 12 months of the year where they were starting to compete in the fashion market.

Luckily I got 1/2 price snowboard boots there in March and the wife 1/2 price flow bindings. Them shutting have saved me a fortune as the wife had a bad habit of popping in Laughing
latest report
thefatcontroller, at least some good came out of the shop closing. I went to the Barry store and I agree that it couldn't have cost much. Inside it was still full of good stuff. May be the only way for Lodge to have survived would to have gone for ski/snowboard/surf/skate.
snow report
Two Seasons in the Hayes, Cardiff?
snow report
Mike Pow, Was there Thursday, very limited choice, no smith helmets and according to one of the guys I asked there will be no new stock till after Xmas, if any at all!

dobby, Never visited the Barry store but I agree that they may have done better in the summer months had they diversified their stock more!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy