Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel advice: 1 nights within 90 minutes of 3 Valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise on a good hotel for a single night's stay within 90 minutes drive of the Three Valleys? I presume this means somewhere like Chambery, Albertville or Moutiers. Preferably somewhere with access to a half decent restaurant.....i.e. not an Ibis or Formule Un on an out of town industrial estate where the only eating option is the French equivalent of a Little Chef!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are plenty of hotels in Brides-les-Bains where you can just walk to the lift. They are quite happy for you to stay just one night - if they have space.

In particular, I can recommend:
http://www.hotel-des-sources.com/
where the food is excellent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks...I had assumed that once you got as close as Brides les Bains, they would expect you to stay for longer (particularly if it's a Friday or Saturday night)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
depends what time of year it is. plenty of places will accept you for just one night if they have space. if you want to book in advance, then yes it's more difficult.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moutiers is a pretty soulless place, I would;t go there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Julian T, if you're looking at the night before one of the big holiday weeks, everything within miles will be full - so be sure to book in advance.

Moutiers might be soulless but for one night, does that really matter? And it's very close.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annecy camping park.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Julian T
Quote:

Preferably somewhere with access to a half decent restaurant.....i.e. not an Ibis or Formule Un
It seems clear that you won't eat in an Ibis (I've had decent, good value food there....) but does it also mean that you wouldn't stay in one?

Moutiers Ibis is in an elevated position above the town but only a few mins walk to restaurants. As pam w says, does it all really matter for one night rolling eyes ......

For Mrs MA and me, it's all about being in the mountains - it's the skiing, mountain biking or hiking that we go for. Not saying that 4* stays aren't enjoyable but we can have just as good a time in a tent or mountain refuge Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julian T, most Ibis hotels are absolutely fine. I might draw the line at Formule 1, but I've had a decent nights sleep and a decent breakfast in Ibis Calais, Epernay and Grenoble where I spent 3 nights when my hubby was in hospital. None were in an industrial park apart from one, and that was on the tram line directly into Grenoble itself. Stayed in the Hotel Athena in Brides too, but it wasn't in peak season so don't know if they do it by the night during the ski season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've nothing against Ibis or Formule Un if they are located somewhere where you can get a decent meal, and I recognise that Ibis is better than Formule Un. I've just had too many very average experiences in mid market to budget chain hotels (I travel a lot on business) where the hotel is stuck out on a retail park or industrial estate in the middle of nowhere, with the choice of eating in the equivalent of a Little Chef, or driving to something a bit more inspiring.....& after 9 hours driving from Calais, the last thing I want to do is get in a car to drive into town to look for a restaurant. Plus it's quite nice to have the choice of eating somewhere with a bit of local character, as opposed to a bog standard hotel dining room that could be anywhere in the developed world.

I hadn't done my homework on the location of the Ibis in Moutiers when I posted this query....I'be be very happy to stay there if it's within walking distance of some choices.mountainaddict, Thanks for the recommendation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Julian T, I completely agree with the industrial park bit, and the driving into town after a long drive, and also the local restaurant thing. If you can find something on www.logis-de-france.com you will also find a suitable hotel with local carachter too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could try the Hotel Costaroche at Albertville (2*). If you dont' want to eat in their restaurant (which is fine) you can walk into the centre of Albertville (c. 10 mins) and try the restaurant St Michel or there's a good Indian in the Rue Gambetta.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Julian T, I have stayed in the Ibis Hotel in Moutiers and as mountainaddict has already commented, the location is fine. My wife and I ate in the hotel restaurant and IIRC the meal was pleasant - it was a number of years ago I will admit so there is always the chance it has changed since then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have stayed at this place for last 3 yrs http://www.hotellesterrasses.com/ it is a typical French 2 star hotel , creaky stairs , thin walls , it is about a 15 minute journey off the motorway after Chambery , they do family rooms for about €50 to €60 and the food is good home made , tastes good fills a gap after a long drive . The beers taste as good as any , probably the thought of the week to come , we leave about 7.30 on the saturday morning ahead of the overnight or early paris traffic and get to most resort by 8.30to 9.00 ish .
In my mind it can't be beaten
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Julian T, for one or two nights I have stayed at:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g196696-d613201-Reviews-Altis_Val_Vert_Hotel-Brides_les_Bains_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

which is two minutes walk from the lift station in brides les bains - excellent prices and good food - and they let me park there foc for all days. Excellent place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy