Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easy jet policy change ?

Poster: A snowHead
just looking at the easy jet FAQs regarding sports equipment. it now states "please note ski boots cannot be carried as hand luggage" ? we have always taken them as hand luggage with easy jet and never had any problems. has anyone noticed this change - or maybe its always been there but I have not noticed. We are travelling from luton to geneva. we used BA last season but used easyjet in 2011 and had no problems. anyone used them last year and taken ski boots in hand luggage please ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Used them in January with ski boots as hand luggage, no problems. This has been debated a few times before and I think the conclusion was as long as you don't stand at the check in telling everyone you have ski boots in your hand luggage then no-one is likely to check.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On route from Bristol to Geneva a bloke was stopped with his ski boots, therefore took off shoes put ski boots on.

He was allowed through which i found a little surprising
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
isn't this about airport security, rather than a specific airline policy?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Yep, someone has pointed out to security that ski boots swung by an arm could make a pretty effective weapon
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, So can my laptop.

Especially now I've filed the mag alloy screen top edge to a nice, "Oddjob"-like blade.

Mwahh, hah, etc.

The aerodynamics leave something to be desired, but within the limits of an A319, I reckon it'll work just fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also always take my ski boots in my hand luggage on EasyJet flights.

I don't remember reading of this restriction when I last read the EasyJet info and I also had no problems in the past either at check-in or security.

But could this be a new restriction which EJ have specifically mentioned to clarify a situation which travellers often queried previously?

There might be a 'crack-down' this season. I trust we will hear if there is, from the early season travellers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf wrote:
pam w, Yep, someone has pointed out to security that ski boots swung by an arm could make a pretty effective weapon

and so could a bottle of jack daniels bought from duty free but they let you take that on !!!

I have not had problems in the past, I am lucky that I have small feet so my boots are pretty small and fit in a very ordinary looking hand luggage bag. I guess we just risk it and allow space / weight in the main bags in case we get told to put them in there. although i will take the custom foot beds out and put them in my hand luggage !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
from the luton airport website.....Hand luggage items NOT ALLOWED

DO NOT pack the following items in your hand luggage

A) Guns, firearms and weapons

Any object capable, or appearing capable, of discharging a projectile or causing injury, including:

all firearms (pistols, revolvers, rifles,shotguns etc.)
replica and imitation firearms
component parts of firearms,(excluding telescopic sighting devices & sights)
air pistols, rifles and pellet guns
signal flare pistols
starter pistols
toy guns of all types
ball bearing guns
industrial bolt and nail guns
cross bows
catapults
harpoon and spear guns
animal humane killers
stun or shocking devices e.g. cattle prods, ballistic conducted energy weapons (taser)
lighters shaped like a firearm

B) Pointed/edged weapons and sharp objects

Pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including:

axes and hatchets
arrows and darts
crampons
harpoons and spears
ice axes and ice picks
ice skates
lockable or flick knives with blades of any length
knives, including ceremonial knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon with a blade length in excess of 6cm
meat cleavers
machetes
open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge)
sabres, swords and swordsticks
scalpels
scissors with blades more than 3 cm in length
ski and walking/hiking poles
martial arts throwing stars
tradesman's tools that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon e.g. drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws,
screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches

C) Blunt instruments

Any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including:

baseball and softball bats
clubs or batons - rigid or flexible e.g. Billy clubs, blackjacks, night sticks and batons
cricket bats
golf clubs
hockey sticks
lacrosse sticks
kayak and canoe paddles
skateboards
billiard, snooker and pool cues
fishing rods
martial arts equipment e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, nunchucks, kubatons, kubasaunts

no mention of ski boots
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's just EasyJet trying to extract more cash from their passengers. Most other airlines don't seem to care.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have taken ski boots through hand luggage at Luton, Heathrow and Gatwick. We specifically asked security at Luton and they were absolutely fine with it. It is Easyjet trying to avoid you taking your boots with you and not paying for ski carriage, after all the boots are a heavy item and they love excess baggage.

Don't take your boots in a "ski boot" bag, just put them in a rucksack. If they ask whether you have ski boots, just say no. After all, they are not ski boots, they are apres-ski dancing boots, but how are they to know the difference. Check in staff cannot search your bags, and won't call you on it if you just lie to them straight.

Security at the airport are the only people who might look in your bag, and they (as above) don't give a toss about ski boots. Anyone with a laptop battery or sharpened toothbrush could do the more damage on a plane.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apres ski dancing boots...brilliant

I do know the likes of Monarch/TC/Thomson all say no ski boots, don't want to risk them mkaing me chuck them in the hold in the relatively flimsy bag they live in, so I pack them in my case. Hefty chunk of weight allowance I know, but I do tend to pack out my ski bag/husband's board bag with some of the heavier clothes to counteract it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm looking at booking some easyjet flights and am intent on taking ski boots as hand luggage as normal.

Unless I am missing it, I cannot see anything in easyjet's detailed terms and conditions that prevents this Puzzled....

Re. Baggage:
Quote:
20.3 Hand Baggage
20.3.1 passengers are permitted one piece of Hand Baggage which must comply with the following criteria:
 the dimensions of the Hand Baggage may not be any larger than 56x45x25cm (including wheels, pockets and handles).
 all Hand Baggage must easily fit within the size dimensions of the Baggage size gauges provided at check-in and at the departure gates.
 no weight restriction applies to the one item of Hand Baggage within reasonable limits - i.e. a passenger must be able to place and retrieve the one item of Hand Baggage safely in the overhead storage lockers without assistance. On occasion it may be necessary to impose a weight limit for operational reasons. In this instance Your Hand Baggage will be placed in the aircraft hold at no additional charge provided You have complied with all applicable Baggage requirements and limitations contained in Our Terms and Conditions.
 any handbag, briefcase and/or laptop bag must be carried within the allowance of one permitted piece of Hand Baggage.
 an overcoat, shawl, umbrella or walking stick and one bag of goods purchased after You have cleared the security screening point at the departure airport may also be carried in addition to the allowance of one item of Hand Baggage.
20.3.2 Where the limits set out in Article 20.3.1 are more restrictive at the destination point, We will advise You via email.
20.3.3 Unless We give Our express prior permission, You are prohibited for reasons of safety from operating whilst on board any transmitting electronic equipment or similar devices except hearing aids and heart pacemakers. Any non-transmitting devices or transmitting devices where that function can be switched off can be used during the Flight. Transmitting devices can be used when the aircraft doors are open and include, but are not limited to, portable radios and recorders, mobile and cellular telephones, laptop computers, cassette and CD, DVD and MP3 players, electronic games, radio controlled toys and walkie-talkies. Whilst chemical oxygen generators are not allowed on board, We do permit the onboard carriage of small compressed oxygen or air cylinders or battery operated oxygen concentrators (subject to size limitations). For further information regarding approved devices on board (see Article 10 (Passengers with Specific Requirements – Disability, Medical and Health)).
20.3.4 You will be permitted to carry hot beverages on board (including coffee or tea purchased in the airport) that have a lid. Alcohol may be carried on board but You will only be allowed to consume alcohol that has been purchased from the onboard bar (see Article 19.1.5 (Conduct Onboard and Right to Refuse Carriage, General Requirements).
20.3.5 Carriage of any Hand Baggage in the aircraft cabin is subject to space being available for it to be safely stowed. Where required, We reserve the right to remove any Hand Baggage from the aircraft cabin and place it in the aircraft hold, even in circumstances where the above criteria has been satisfied.
20.3.6 If You exceed Your Hand Baggage allowance, You will be required to submit at check-in any additional and/or oversized bags as Hold Baggage to be carried in the aircraft hold. You will be charged a Hold Baggage fee per item and any applicable Excess Weight fees per kilo as set out in Our Fees and Charges.
20.3.7 If You fail to comply with this requirement and We discover that You have exceeded Your Hand Baggage allowance at the departure gate, in addition to any applicable Hold Baggage fees charged per item, You will also be charged Excess Weight fees per kilo plus a Gate Baggage fee per item as set out in Our Fees and Charges. Your bags will then be tagged as Hold Baggage and placed in the aircraft hold.

And re. Sports Equipment:
Quote:
Sporting equipment can be carried in addition to Your Hold Baggage allowance. Sporting equipment is defined as:
•Bicycles
•Golf equipment (excluding golf shoes)
•Skis (including boots and poles)
•Snowboards
•Surfboards
•Wind surfers
•Hang-gliders/paragliders
•Sporting Firearms
•Diving Equipment (Gas or air cylinders are not permitted)
•Sporting Wheelchairs (unless this is one of the two items of mobility equipment per passenger)

If You wish to carry any of the above items You will be charged an additional non-refundable fee for each item carried. Simply select the ‘Sports equipment’ option when You book Your flights online. If Your item is not listed it must be carried as part of Your standard Hold Baggage allowance.

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within Your normal standard Hold Baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.

See further information on the carriage of bicycles.

If You would like to purchase sports equipment after You have booked Your Flight You can add it, up to 2 hours prior to the scheduled time of departure of Your Flight, by logging into My easyJet and adding it as an option to Your existing Booking. You can also call Our Customer Service Team who will be happy to assist You. Sports equipment can also be added at the airport, up to 1 hour prior to scheduled time of departure, for a higher fee as set out in Our Fees and Charges.

Please be aware that online amendments can only be made for Bookings originally made on easyJet.com. If your Booking was made by an alternative method please contact Our Customer Service Team who will be able to assist with Your request.

Payment of the non-refundable sports equipment fee entitles You to an additional weight allowance of 12kgs and increases Your checked in Hold Baggage allowance to a maximum of 32kgs. A single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just returned from a weekend in Spain flying with Easyjet and I saw someone with a folding bicycle trying to take it as hand luggage. In fairness to him it did fold into a bag which fitted neatly into the luggage gauge and wasn't too heavy to be lifted into the overhead lockers, but they still made him check it into the hold. I daresay it's down to the vigilance of the ground crew at the gate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jocrad wrote:
don't want to risk them mkaing me chuck them in the hold in the relatively flimsy bag they live in

I am wondering just what you think might happen to them that would be worse than the treatment they get while skiing?
snow conditions
Yes, but when I'm wearing them, they're not being tossed around onto and off the plane by the baggage handlers, are they....

Awful lot of money to spend to be thrown around like that.
snow report
bear in mind that the policy varies which version you read. There was a thread here the other month where I found one policy doc on the EJ website which didn't say you couldn't and someone else had another policy page on the EJ website which explicitly said you couldn't so it really is worth checking with them directly. I wouldn't rely on the website.
ski holidays
jocrad, Still can't imagine them being damaged in any way! snowHead
ski holidays
It's all gone mad...it's just a drip, drip way of getting people to do things and not question it...all in the name of Security.

Say it's for your own safety and security and no one questions it...and if you do...you're more than likely not allowed to fly.

For example...how the hell does having my seat back 3 inches, or my window blind down, stop me from being safe if we're crashing rolling eyes Ask any Stewardess and they say it's for our own safety...but they don't know why. rolling eyes

Surely a womens Stilleto heel can do more damage than a ski boot?

Like people have said...just another way of making money.

Funnily enough...many Speedway riders bring spare engines for their bikes in their hand luggage... rolling eyes
snow report
spud, Bike engines are A. too heavy to be useful and B. You can't get a decent sharp cutting edge on them, so it's disappointingly blunt instrument trauma, at best.

If you are wearing the ski boots you need to implant "Klebb" sprung spikes, which reduce (somewhat catastrophically) your boot sole rigidity. Makes them feel like snowboard boots on skis.

You also have to be a wee bit careful getting the poison tipped spikes back in after use - not something to attempt at home with bare hands.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 3-10-12 8:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
under a new name, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
spud, God i hate to be the pedant and I do agree with what you say....... but the seat and blind rules do make sense if people around you are trying to exit the plane after a (non-fatal) crash.

jocrad, can't imagine my boots being significantly damaged by the airport handler types but can certainly see them being loaded on a plane to tenerife or just being left in luton for the first few days of my holiday!
snow report
spud, God i hate to be the pedant and I do agree with what you say....... but the seat and blind rules do make sense if people around you are trying to exit the plane after a (non-fatal) crash.

jocrad, can't imagine my boots being significantly damaged by the airport handler types but can certainly see them being loaded on a plane to tenerife or just being left in luton for the first few days of my holiday!
snow conditions
gilo, That's why the heli ski operators suggest you take your boots hand luggage. They can replace everything but your ski boots...
snow conditions
I just have visions of the clips getting busted, or like you say, put on a plane to warmer climes....!!
latest report
[quote="gilo"]spud, God i hate to be the pedant and I do agree with what you say....... but the seat and blind rules do make sense if people around you are trying to exit the plane after a (non-fatal) crash.

Remind me to tell that to the Galley wall that was behind my seat the last time i flew wink Razz
latest report
Quote:
It really is worth checking with them directly. I wouldn't rely on the website
Shocked Puzzled

So I wonder if I can rely on the EJ website for flight time being correct, weight of permitted luggage being correct, destination airport being correct, check in time being correct, time gate closes being correct......Maybe not if I can't rely on the info. contained in the pages of conditions that I've printed from their website?

WTF!! I've never heard the like Mad !!
snow report
mountainaddict, Yeah, well the not so funny bit was checking their online timetable last year (2011 in case you forget) and finding it not updated since summer 2010.

I kid you not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud wrote:
For example...how the hell does having my seat back 3 inches, or my window blind down, stop me from being safe if we're crashing rolling eyes Ask any Stewardess and they say it's for our own safety...but they don't know why. rolling eyes

Straight back is to help prevent injuries in case of sudden stop/crash of the airplane. Look at military aircraft or helicopters and all seats have a very straight back, which is one of the reason (future) pilots are thoroughly tested on the state of their back..

Open blinds are to help your crew assess the situation outside (e.g. is there a fire on one side) before evacuating the passengers, and to help emergency services assess the situation in the aircraft should e.g. people be trapped inside.

And because airline crews absolutely love spicing their day up by annoying their passengers.. rolling eyes
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
It really is worth checking with them directly. I wouldn't rely on the website
Shocked Puzzled

So I wonder if I can rely on the EJ website for flight time being correct, weight of permitted luggage being correct, destination airport being correct, check in time being correct, time gate closes being correct......Maybe not if I can't rely on the info. contained in the pages of conditions that I've printed from their website?

WTF!! I've never heard the like Mad !!

have a look for yourself: first link explicitly states you cannot take them as hand-luggage, second doesn't say you can't.

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/ski%20boots/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTY2NjExMS9zaWQvVnlVZ1psNGw%3D
Quote:
If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option. Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports_equipment.html
Quote:
If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within Your normal standard Hold Baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.
ski holidays
I don't really see gate agents asking to see inside your suitcase - but I wouldn't put them in a boot bag (although I would at least initially refuse if asked to open it).

Security agents will simply abide by the legal rules in place, which specifically don't mention ski boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy