Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

seeing in the new year in a ski resort..

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done this ?

My employers are getting a bit funny about holidays this year, so it looks like the week starting on New Years eve may be one of my only options...

I was thinking Val D'Isere or Val Thorens, I've skied both extensively so know I like the areas, just wondered if anyone had been there for a new years eve and what its like ?
Are the bars all open, or have they gone down the 'english' route of being 'ticket only' type things ?
I take it everything is still open on New Year's Day ?

cheers,
Toby
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New years eve is usually pretty massive, lifts normally open next day but ski schools may not be, only problem you might have is booking a place
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were in Saas Fee for New Year a couple of years ago. No ski-ing lessons on New Years Day but everything else as normal, except for the rather surprising Swiss habit of letting off fireworks willy-nilly for most of New Years Eve night Shocked I understand that in Saas Fee Christmas Day is treated as a more normal day and there are even ski-ing classes. Lifts and restaurants appeared to open as normal on New Year's Day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
toby wright, The only thing you'll notice will be the empty pistes on the morning of the 1st...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
toby wright, I was in VT last New Years Eve; there didn't seem to be any difficulty moving from one bar to another but they were all packed, not surprisingly. Some may have had controls but I wasn't aware of being affected; some of the restaurants were doing special meals which you had to book in advance for. I think places like the Malaysia nightclub were charging an entry fee to control numbers. Just like Ian Hopkinson comments for Sass Fee, be prepared for random and extensive letting off of fireworks after midnight - people were firing them off all over the place and I would be surprised if no one was injured. The resort seemed to be open as normal the next day, but I don't know about the ski schools.

Nothing to put you off, I would suggest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
toby wright, I don't know about France but in my experience in snow sure resorts the hotels book out early for New Year, so if you want to go to a hotel book soon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
toby wright, great time to go, unfortunately it's also when all the French, Belgians, Dutch etc who've had Xmas at home decide to go skiing as well. It can pretty crowded but the French certainly celebrate New Year much more than Xmas.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
toby wright, what about going at Christmas instead of New Year? It's an equally nice atmosphere around the resort, but the skiing is much quieter than New Year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers guys Smile

helpfull as always Smile

I'm open to xmas or new year, but I think I've got a fair amount of resistance from my party to going at new year let alone xmas...

Which is a shame as I cant think of anywhere better to be !!

I'll have to lean on them a bit I think...

bah, flipping work getting in the way !! Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Europe is great, I did four years in a row in France and each one was brilliant. New Year at 12 then 'British New Year' at 1am. Excellent fun. I'm seeing it in in chamonix this year as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
toby wright, couldn't think of a BETTER place to spend NY - what's wrong with your party? Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
toby wright, New Year skiing is fabulous, but the best one I've ever had was Mayrhofen in Austria. All the locals were partying along with the visitors, grannies and kids outside in the snowy streets at midnight with fireworks, and the atmosphere was just brilliant. I think if a ski resort is in a real town, where the locals work and live, there's much more atmosphere.

The best advice, of course, is to go for both Xmas and New Year snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been to Verbier at New Year. Earth shatteringly expensive to get a ticket for any of the bars/clubs. We just went to the town square with I don't know how many hundreds of other people. Brilliant atmosphere. Just make sure you have a big guy in your group who'll carry the ruck sack full of beers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dont forget on the continent they celebrate the old year not the new year (although they say happy new year) Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like Ian Hopkinson. we went to Saas Fee for New Years Eve 2000. Firework display utterly amazing.
snow report
The club in our village ups its prices - EUR50 for entry but this includes breakfast!

At least there's no fruitless search for a cab home afterwards (unless you're in a massive ski factory) and you can clear your hangover the next day on the slopes.
ski holidays
I shall be in Banff for New Year. Has anyone else been then? I'd welcome any details of the celebrations, etc.
snow conditions
toby wright,
Quote:

I'm open to xmas or new year, but I think I've got a fair amount of resistance from my party to going at new year let alone xmas...

Oi, when did I ever 'resist'any trip, never mind one to a place with good skiing and the prospect of a great NY party to boot....
Very Happy

Get it booked!!
latest report
I'd love to go skiing over New Year, but I can't, my esteemed employers have seen fit to block any leave over Christmas and New Year. Crying or Very sad

On a happier note, I will be off to Banff a week after the New Year festivities! snowHead
snow conditions
skifly, wlecome to snowHead snowheads snowHead
latest report
Did Sauze in Italy for New Year last season. Great fun but the village does kind of turn into Beirut after midnight when all the young Italians go bonkers.
Worked a door in VT the year before. It cost 10 euros to get in and all the drinks prices went up for the night but the place was still rammed until about 5am. Great fun.
Oh yeah, the skiing was great too Toofy Grin
latest report
skifly, welcome to snowHeads, and sort your mates out. wink
snow report
RichardB, you need a new employer. Shocked
ski holidays
toby wright,

Spent the millenium in Val D'Isere and it was brillient but think tickets were required for most places. Second best snowy new year would have to go to Tignes though - hugh speakers out on the lake at midnight was pretty cool. Have spent the last few in the Underground in Alpe D'Huez though which is always a good night....no tickets needed but you need to make sure you get there early enough to avoid the queue!

Can't beat new year in the mountains...don't let your group (excluding skifly) persuade you to miss out!!
snow conditions
Val d'Isere is awesome for NY. Spent one in the Morris Pub a few years back - they had a live band who were great. Everyone piles out to the square at midnight, then you get another celebration at 1am as it's new year in the UK!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy