Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone having some experiences and (offpiste) tips when it comes to Andermatt?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been a couple of times. It's a great place for off piste if you get the conditions. Might be an idea to get someone to show you around. Great little town too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree entirely with jbob, spent two excellent off piste days in Andermatt. Lots of terrain off the back (and round the back) of the top gondola.

Second day blighted slightly by poor visability - it can get pretty bleak up there with not a lot to break up the light.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main bowl has obvious off piste but it skis out extremely quickly.

Otherwise the most easily accessed off piste (without going over the back) which you could start with: you go skiers' left, following the path, and when the path, and then pistes swing to the right just keep on traversing all the way till you are finally off piste and keep on going. Eventually you will need to swing right to arrive back round to the front (long traverse at the bottom of the mountain to the lift station)

Off the back of the mountain you can traverse to skiers right, arriving as close as possible to the ridge ahead. Climb that (1/4 hour) and there is another valley to ski down - mostly rather flat after the first bit. Eventually you arrive at a stream (keep far left to cross) and walk up a little to a summer road which you must pole, ski and skate down for 2 or 3km to Hospental (nice village with Baroque church) - about 2km from Andermatt. Regular taxis back - or you could pole and walk.

Or in the opposite direction - ask someone to show you The Giraffe. It is accessed by traversing along below the ridge (on the front) till you are on the ridge and go right a bit - but you need to be shown where the couloir starts. A long, steepish couloir, then an open, flatter bit, then another long couloir (so obvious why it got its name). At the bottom in the valley you have to get across a stream and then pay for the descent by following a path a couple of miles along the stream - arriving at the other end of Andermatt.

There are normal Swiss 1:25,000 maps but also a good Freeride map which shows easy, moderate and expert off piste areas and forbidden areas (It doesn't show actual routes). I can't seem to locate mine but someone will be along to tell you its name/number.

Lovely old town with a good Baroque church worth visiting and museum in old house.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-09-12 20:18; edited 16 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Great little town too.

jbob, Isn't this the place where theres a mahoosive development going on? Hope they don't spoil it.

http://www.orascomdh.com/en/projects/projects-under-development/andermatt.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, the Swiss army used to train there and the developement is where the big Army barracks are (or were).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Great little town too.

jbob, Isn't this the place where theres a mahoosive development going on? Hope they don't spoil it.

http://www.orascomdh.com/en/projects/projects-under-development/andermatt.html

Yes, like many smaller/medium Swiss resorts they have milked the assets over the years and it was in need of a cash injection. Up pops an Egyptian (I think) with a pile of dosh and has built some new stuff, right in front of my friends apartment. Its still a very nice town, in fact a perfect little Swiss resort.

It was here I first came across a Stammtisch, its a reserved table in a bar where only regulars may sit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get the Freeride map from here: http://www.freeride-map.com/index.php?lid=2&cid=200
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, I haven't seen those before, any good?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, quite good - click on the map in the website and you get an ideas. A bit small, but you could (as I did) get an ordinary 1:25,000 as well (well, actually 2 of them - No. 1231, plus, if you want the area with the Giraffe which is off the edge, 1232.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-09-12 17:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
snowball, I haven't seen those before, any good?

I've got a couple. They are OK, but not brilliant. The colouring gives you a rough idea of the nature of the slopes, but it makes the actual map harder to read (they are basically SwissTopo maps with extra colouring on top). I prefer the SwissTopos with ski routes marked (but annoyingly those are only 1:50k), the freeride maps don't show actual routes. I don't think I'll buy any more, I'd rather get a normal 1:25K and mark routes on it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks a lot for useful tips. Looking really forward to explore the mountains. I will have a guide coming in from Chamonix and will for sure the suggested routes. Btw, in case of low visibility, is it worth going to Disentis? Or will the light usually be just as bad over there?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was there in Jan 2012 for a couple of days. Conditions were bad to go over the back - too much fresh snow ... A Sweede had been swept into a gully and drowned the first day we were there. I had looked over the edge near where he died ( off the path that runs down the right hand valley from the cable car top, just before where it runs back round to the lift valley), and decided it was an massive risk - there were slides all over the mountain on the same aspect / altitude.
I hope my instincts remain good and get better.

Take care in the mountains. Have fun.

I will be going back some time - the place is perfect, but the new development is massive - I hope they make loads of cash in the summer from golfers, and we can ignore the golf course and enjoy the new lifts in the winter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woosh, If you haven't already booked you might want to look at Disentus/Sedrun.

Much quieter, same snow...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I didn't ski at Disentis. Is the off piste as good? (that is the main pointy of Andermatt, after all. Most people who ski Andermatt ski off piste).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy