Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scandanavian Resorts/Northern lights

Poster: A snowHead
Im after a little help. We have always wanted to go and see the Northern Lights, so for our Honeymoon thats what we are going to do. Ive read lots of reviews and they stress, go to do other activities, and treat the Northern Lights as a bonus. It makes sense really because seeing them is weather dependant. What we are after is somewhere which allows us to do other activities, with the best chance of seeing the Lights. Please can you recommend somewhere that allows us to do all of this? As its our honeymoon, we want Luxury, so dont mind paying that little extra. Also, when is the best time to go?

Here is a list of things we would want to do

*Ski
*Dog Sledding
*Skidoo
*Reindeer
*Ice Driving
*Northern Lights
*Town/Village atmosphere

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

*Northern Lights

The bonus is that this coming ski season is kind of the predicted peak of the current solar cycle, so the most likely opportunity to see this phenomena, or the best chance to see more impressive ones. Treat it as a bonus, then you won't be disappointed.

Can't help with any of the other points, other than to say, that days are short, so maybe March is better than January.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

*Town/Village atmosphere

There ain't much of that up there.

Quote:

Luxury

There ain't much of that up there either. Ice hotels and glass igloo things must be fun but not exactly luxury. Places I've stayed in northern Sweden and Norway have been a bit spartan. I'm giving Finland a go in Feb but haven't decided which place yet. It'll be a log cabin type of thing.

January you'll get 6 hours daylight per day and March more like 9 or 10.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iceland has most of those, although I'm not sure that anywhere does 'ice driving' as an organised activity but maybe they do.

Akureyri in the North would be a great base and there is a lovely hotel right in the center of town as well as some great restaurants.

http://www.keahotels.is/Home

Lots of stuff to see and do around there including a ski area only fifteen minutes drive away. Mid-Feb onwards and you have enough light and the weather will be good enough to have a good chance at seeing the Northern Lights.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Finland looks lovely. Just want something a bit higher standard etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, I've not been to see the Northern Lights, but am seriously looking into doing so this winter as this year should be particularly good for them (you may or may not know that the likelihood of there being Aurora (Northern Lights) depends on the Sun's activity which operates on an 11 year sunspot cycle, and we are reaching a peak in the activity this year). Of course they are a natural phenomenon and you cannot guarantee seeing them. The higher North you go in latitude the more chance you have of seeing them though (and of course they will be higher in the sky rather than closer to the horizon). Most tourist trips seem to be either to Northern Norway (around Tromso), Northern Sweden or Finland/Lapland, although Iceland also seems to be becoming popular. Norway, although I'm sure it's good, tends to be expensive. Iceland is a bit further South than the others (so potentially not so good). I've been concentrating on looking at the Northern Finland/Lapland areas of Levi, Yllas and Saariselka which are at or above the Arctic Circle, for which Inghams seem to offer a lot of accommodations. These also have plenty of other things to do (including downhill and X-C skiing!). As you said you don't mind paying a bit extra the option of spending a night or two in a warm glass roofed igloo might appeal. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus 1 to Iceland, no idea about ice driving but quad bikes in snow was a bl00dy good giggle! (don't forget driving license even off road they require it) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, Oh, one other tip. It's best if your trip is near to the date of a New Moon, that way the Northern Lights if they appear will not have to compete against the light from a bright Moon. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, Friend from work went with his wife to Levi n Finland and they both loved it. Knowing them the accommodation was probably decent otherwise they would not have enjoyed it and they returned the following year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out and out luxury may be a bit harder to find but the activities are not.

We went with activities abroard a few years back. we sorted out own flights and started with a couple of days in Helsinki at Hotel Kamp

http://www.hotelkamp.com/?PS=EAME_aa_Starwood_NWE-1157_Google%20UK_hotel%20kamp%20in%20helsinki_09/25/10

Which was nice for a bit of luxury before heading north. (but worth eating out as the hotel resturant was a little bit Meh! for evening meals but great bar food and afternoon tea in the bar area.

We then flew north to Kittila and stayed at Jeris

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g774922-d628527-Reviews-Hotel_Jeris-Muonio_Lapland.html

although we were a family there was a few honeymooning couples, they have igloo rooms too if you want but we opted to go north and stay in the Ice village for a night instead.
The quality of the activities was excellent as was the guide.

driving a Skidoo over the frozen lakes flat out is an experience Smile we also did the 2 day huskey sled the Xcountry skiing and the reindeer sled as well as the local cultural stuff. We added a night-time horse riding trip through the forest experience to the mix. we also did Ice fishing and showshoe trecking.

Jerris keep a section of the lake ice free using powerfull pumps so you can sit in the traditional finnish smoke sauna then take yourself out to -30c and through yourself in the lake....and its strangely addictive once you have done it once.

We did see some diffuse northern lights but your more more likely to be sucessfull in northern norway.

http://www.activitiesabroad.com/page/northern-lights
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, We have done the Finland/LAPLAND holiday three times. Always at Ruka which is just below the Arctic circle. Its a beautiful resort with all types of accomodation. From hotel's to apartments to log cabins. We have always gone for the log cabins. They are not ultimate luxury but fun and romantic. Very well equiped with own sauna and huge log fires, usually set in the woods. If you want challenging skiing none of the Lapland resorts have mountains or kms of slopes, but they are fun. So on our trips we have managed to ski, x country ski, snow shoe walking, ice fishing, snow mobile safari even one to cross the russian border for dinner one night, ice karting, ice fishing, reindeer sleigh and visits to reindeer farm, 70km husky sleigh and visit to husky farm, ice river flotation and a moonlit trek over the slopes and into the wilderness and a campfire supper. It is very expensive to eat and drink but there are some wonderful eating places. Scenery is beautiful and just walking in the woods and across frozen lakes with reindeers wandering around is lovely. But the only thing we have never seen is the Northern lights always miss them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, http://www.ruka.fi/winter_eng/frontpage/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

even one to cross the russian border for dinner one night
rosemary, Did you need a visa for that? Every time I've been to Russia I've had to fork out a hundred quid for the visa. What I'd like to do on our trip to Finland (probably flying to Kuusamo near the border) is nip over with the family just so they can say they've been there. But won't bother if it's going to be a hassle with visas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rosemary, Brilliant, looks really good. Just one point, it says this

"The lifts are open throughout the season every day from 9.30 am until 7 pm and Fridays until 11 pm (night skiing available 2nd December 2011 - 13nd April 2012)"

What are the daylight times that far North? Surely all the skiing isnt covered under lights, or is it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We have always gone for the log cabins. They are not ultimate luxury but fun and romantic. Very well equiped with own sauna and huge log fires, usually set in the woods.

They sound like a terrific honeymoon setting. What could be better?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Yes we did need a visa but it was about 30 quid as you only get a couple of hours just to eat. It was really just to say we have been to Russia, no hassle at all Inghams did it all. Plus the safari houses that you arrange your trips through do it all and even provide the thermal clothing needed.
snow report
rosemary, thanks, that'll do me. How long from Ruka to the border?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I look at this site often http://www.spaceweather.com/ and by coincidence it is saying that equinoxes are the best time to see the Northern Lights. There is also http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ for possible sightings in the UK, I have been lucky enough to see them and would love to see them again.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, We have always gone around about 21st january, my birthday treat. It gets darkish about 4.00pm so everything is floodlit. But it does not feel that dark as everything is so white. January times are my favourite but it is cold. But with right clothing its not a problem and all around resort are Koti's (huts with fires). The log cabins are very warm sometimes to warm. They also have store rooms for ski's and usually a couple of sledges. Inside you have drying cabinets great for warming everything before you go out. The slopes are also the best condition slopes ever.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Well we did it at night on snowmobiles with a guide, it took about 2 hrs but was great fun.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
rosemary, Brilliant, looks really good. Just one point, it says this

"The lifts are open throughout the season every day from 9.30 am until 7 pm and Fridays until 11 pm (night skiing available 2nd December 2011 - 13nd April 2012)"

What are the daylight times that far North? Surely all the skiing isnt covered under lights, or is it?

You can find hours of daylight for any location on various websites eg here
snow report
Bode Swiller, rosemary, I think this is it. It mentions the Russian border part further down.

http://www.kuusamosafaris.fi/eng/snowmobile.html

Looks really good, and Ruka is looking favourite in terms of where i think we will be heading.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, For information, here's the latitudes of the various Finnish resorts mentioned:
Ruka 66.19 °N
Yllas 67.56 °N
Levi 67.80 °N
Saariselka 68.9 °N

Other country Northern Lights destinations:
Tromso Norway 69.67 °N
Reykjavik Iceland 64.13 °N
Akureyri Iceland 65.69 °N
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I think you will like Ruka especially for a honeymoon. It wont just be a ski holiday it will be more like an activities holiday. Its a shame Inghams have pulled out of the resort but I think crystal are the TO now. The safari houses that you go on all the trips with are brilliant they kit you out with helmets, warm clothing etc and mid way you stop at a campsite, with shelters all lit up with candles and lanterns and you sit around a campfire on reindeer skins drinking hor berry juice, coffee with sausages and breads. All under the stars. Another trip is to go to the only running water river, the rest are frozen at that time of year, put on a flotation suit and helmet and literally float down the river.
snow report
Does the difference in latitude in that range actually make much odds? Having lived through a winter in Reykjavik I've seen the aurora very strongly even in downtown. It even occasionally makes it down to Scotland.
snow report
rosemary, What accommodation would you suggest? Anna isn't into skiing really, inwould do it for a day or two, but not a week so the other activities are a must. This may sound stupid, but how easy is it to get around to the different places from your hotel? The snowmobile place looks quite a long way out of town.
snow conditions
We always stay in Ruka itself, its about 20mins from airport. We have always stayed in Ruka log cabins which is at the bottom of the village. We only used the ski bus once it only took 15mins to walk to resort. If you want log cabin I would suggest the Masto Alton (sp) cabins which you can book through Crystal. If you want hotel the big one right in front of the slopes called the Rantisippi is very nice. Last time we went to Ruka the plane broke down so we had an extra day and they put us all up for the night at this hotel it was really nice and the breakfast is to die for. Regarding trips there is always a coach pick up point near to where you stay. So if you go reindeer or husky coach pick you up at supermarket near you and takes you to farms and drops you back. We have always walked to the snowmobile place about 10mins away and quite often the guides have dropped us back at the cabin. But if you stay in hotel the safari house is right next door. As are all the bars and eating places. Also by hotel are several new luxury apartment blocks. Even when you go to ice carting which is just outside the village they pick you up in minibus and drop you back its all in the price.
snow report
Just remembered the hotel is now called rukahovvi not Rantisippi as it was.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh just remembered......the further north you go the more likely you will get 2 single beds so just make sure they know the purpose of your visit Smile
latest report
We went to Finland with inntravel (http://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/winter-snow-breaks/finland/hotel-yllashumina). I would highly recommend as a location and the hotel was excellent. They have nice cabins too you can upgrade to. We go there for the x-c although we're very keen alpine skiers. I think Yllas would be quite limited for alpine skiing but as the OP suggested they would be going there for the whole Arctic experience. Incidentally we saw the Aurora on 3 nights, 2 of which were really spectacular. I've seen it on the TV before and couldn't believe it could be quite so amazing. I'd always thought that some of it was elapsed-time photography but they really did move about the sky in real-time.

The town is about a mile from the hotel and the village is fairly quiet so that won't really tick your wish-list on that point. Yllas itself might be more lively. Jyust a note that if you want to arrange things yourself, you can't get a cheap direct flight to the Finnish Arctic; they only ones are with Inghams charter and they are about £500 (for feb half-term) so we decided not much of saving to DIY. Inntravel were very helpful as a TO.

Lost of things to do; we did a days husky sledding (quite tiring but a great day out)
snow report
Quote:

Anna isn't into skiing really, inwould do it for a day or two

if she's not tried cross-country, maybe that's something you could do together, on a more equal footing? I'd suggest getting a lesson. The more I read the posts about these trips the better they sound. Except floating down a barely unfrozen river; I think I might be able to give that a miss!
latest report
pam w, Lol! That bit really didnt sound like our cup of tea either! She isn't keen on skiing as her knee starts to throb. I've never done X-country skiing so don't know if it's any differed in terms of here being in pain.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder I know you seem to be heading for Finland....but the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden is utterly incredible. We had a night there for a wedding anniversary. As far as your ice driving goes, the normal hire cars would fit the bill(!!) - they have studded tyres & the roads are all ice covered! We skied at Riksgransen & Bjorkliden, which were both a fair drive away.

In terms of daylight, we were there in March & days were longer than Northern England at that time.
snow conditions
rosemary, your trips sound amazing!
snow conditions
A second for the Ice Hotel - Meets all the requirements except downhill ski-ing Laughing Can do x-country though
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, x country ski is energetic but you can stop any-time you want there is no-one else hurtling up behind you. I have a troublesome hip and it does not seem to give me as much gip as downhill. X country is nice to get away fronm the crowds, usually through woods and across frozen lakes. Plus the tracks are all around the resorts, we used to be on the tracks about 2 minutes away from the log cabin. Some of the deals with cabins offer free x country ski's although not the lessons. Some cabins even have free snow shoes. The river floating is so relaxing people have been known to fall asleep. Just not to float too far otherwise you end up in Russia and thats a whole heap of trouble.
snow conditions
I live in Helsinki so have had a few trips to Finnish lapland. I think Levi is the best option in terms of activities, nice restaurants and decent accommodation. There are also a few Spa's there now and the town is pretty easy to get around. The log cabins in the forest look really nice. Levi is easy to get to as it is only 15 minutes from Kittila airport. If you decide to give the tour operators a miss there is a service bus that meets all of the scheduled flights from Helsinki and stops at various hotels in the town.

We go to Levi to X-country ski and there is no better place to x-country ski; skiing across frozen lakes and through forests is lovely. There are also cafe's en-route for hot drinks. I converted from downhill skiing to snowboarding due to a knee problem but find X-country skiing fine. I do classic style, not skating style, and find there is very little strain on my knee. There seem to be plenty of other activities to try - loads of advertising for husky rides, snowmobiles, snow shoeing etc. but I can't comment as I've only ever x-country skied or snowboarded. Downhill skiiing / snowboarding is pretty limited - we managed to do every run before about 3pm one day and we spent most of the time on t-bars. However, there are some amazingly scary snow parks where watching 10 year oldsdo 720s on their snowboards is entertaining yet depressing.....

About the Northern lights - I've seen them in Jan, Feb and March. January was dark and cold (-30C) and I doubt I'd go back at that time of year. Finnish schools have a "skiing holiday" in February and like France it is in 3 different zones. You want to avoid the Helsinki week (18 - 22 Feb 2013). Any time in late Feb or March would be good.

Saariselka is another option but I think it is more limited on activities and accommodation than Levi and also the town is much more spread out so it is difficult to get around.
ski holidays
Levi gets a massive thumbs up from me as well. We've been twice. The first time was when the kids were young and my wife wanted to do the whole Santa thing with them and we picked Levi so we could fit in some skiing as well as all the other activities (husky sledding, skidoo's etc). Loved the resort so much that we went back again a few years later on a skiing trip. We stayed at the Hotel Levitunturi both times, which I was a bit unsure about from some of the photos but it turned out to be one of the best hotels we've stayed in with the kids. Great food, fantastic location, mint swimming pool etc. You can do all the activities in and around Levi, and if you just want to fit some skiing in alongside those other things I reckon you'll be fine, it's not extensive like Alpine resorts, but for a few days there's enough to keep you entertained. Just be ready for the cold to hit you when you step off that gondola at the top station - my youngest son burst into tears when we got down to the bottom as he said his head hurt so much because of the cold ! Great sledging on the floodlit slopes next to the town as well at night. We were there at New Year and they put a great fireworks display on at the bottom of the slopes. Really liked the town as well, I think it's purpose built but it has a really good feel to it - a mixture of old and modern styles with some really nice bars, cafes and shops.

We never saw a sniff of the Northern Lights though - for most of the time there was cloud cover, but on the few nights when it was clear there was still no sign of it - probably the only disappointing thing about the 2 trips.
snow report
Just throwing in Alaska to the mix, I know getting there wouldn't be cheap, but I think it would be cheaper once there.

I think the hotels wake you up for the lights
ski holidays
There are many Ice hotels in many different countries...but only one that can use the name 'Ice hotel' (or so i understand)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy