Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the easiest and simplest way to teach...

Poster: A snowHead
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
The other 'steering' consideration is the surface you are teaching on. Rotation is probably going to be harder for most if it's a plastic slope.
No problem if the skis are kept "relatively" flat, it only becomes a problem with little ones, oh! and bigger ones for that matter is when they put their knees too close together and "jam those edges in!"
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote...

"They first tried to teach me to snowplough but at my age my legs refuse to conform to that geometry"

Lechbob, "you don't have any hip joints!!??" Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haha Lechbob, I'm gonna go with that being the standard blokey problem, did you also learn in Austria?

The ÖSV (German for closed minded Ski-God club) absolutely refuses to believe that mens and womens legs are shaped differently, men who can't do snowplough (i.e. those who may have done some sport before and have bowed legs) are obviously mentally retarded foreigners who just weren't meant to ski.

Hoping you then picked up parrallel faster than the others to prove them wrong?

or i may just be talking Müll
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dulcamara wrote:
men who can't do snowplough (i.e. those who may have done some sport before and have bowed legs) are obviously mentally retarded foreigners who just weren't meant to ski.
Ages ago I was trying to teach a beginner who had the most bow-legged stance I've ever seen. Said he was a brickie and he thought his legs had gradually been bowed out from endlessly carrying hods of bricks uop ladders. Whatever the cause he was biomechanically unable to ski on his inside edges. The amount of adjustment that he boots and bindings would have needed to get him to ride a flat ski would have been absurd, so I suggested he take up snowboarding. I saw him a few weeks later really enjoying learning to board.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haha yup have suggested that one as well! actually bow legs suits boarding well!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The amount of adjustment that he boots and bindings would have needed to get him to ride a flat ski would have been absurd, so I suggested he take up snowboarding. I saw him a few weeks later really enjoying learning to board.

reminds me of a friend of mine, who sadly died a few weeks ago at the age of 83, who joined the Sea Scouts as a lad, in the east end of London. The exasperated old salt who had failed, after 6 weeks of effort, to teach him to tie a bowline, told him to "booger off and join the band". He became a competent bugler, but remained incapable, despite doing a lot of sailing, of tying a bowline.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

bow legs suits boarding well

and help to hold the trousers up...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

bow legs suits boarding well

and help to hold the trousers up...

Can't be as many bow legged snowboarders as I thought then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara wrote:
haha Lechbob, did you also learn in Austria?

How did you know Puzzled Ronald taught me in Neiderau.

gatecrasher wrote:
Quote...
"They first tried to teach me to snowplough but at my age my legs refuse to conform to that geometry"
Lechbob, "you don't have any hip joints!!??" Shocked Laughing

Yes, stainless steel but my feet won't rotate inwards Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar,
basically the Apline Basic Position is adopted for a fraction between linking the turns. This in effect is a very short traverse, weighted correctly for learning to carve and is the transitional position between turns.
Then the turns get sharper, quicker, tighter and faster and as if by magic the learner is rolling their weight and edges and extending and all that jazz... just like magic wink !!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 20-09-12 15:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

dulcamara wrote:
haha Lechbob, did you also learn in Austria?

How did you know Ronald taught me in Neiderau.

because I have spent too long teaching beginners in Austria and know the drill... assuming ronald is in fact Austrian and I haven't just insulted your friend
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:
rob@rar,
basically the Apline Basic Position is adopted for a fraction between linking the turns. This in effect is a very short traverse, weighted correctly for learning to carve and is the transitional position between turns.
Then the turns get sharper, quicker, tighter and faster and as if by magic the learner is rolling their weight and edges and extending and all that jazz... just like magic wink !!
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I do something along those lines, but only as a particular drill rather than a default movement, and with no emphasis on a particular body position.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
have a look here:... these are from our book (in German) but I recon you can work it out Wink
http://www.austrian-adventures.com/sharing/afh.jpg
http://www.austrian-adventures.com/sharing/cgs.jpg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tranverse position can be broken down to "lean down the hill so that no matter how much you want to you can't put weight on your uphill ski and start another turn!" I guess the thinking is that people find it easier to shift their body around than to concentrate on certain joints
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, ta, it's a little bit too much focused on particular body positions for me, but that's just a personal preference.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
assuming ronald is in fact Austrian and I haven't just insulted your friend

He's Dutch and was very patient.
snow report
rob@rar, yep... the right ones wink
ski holidays
Interesting discussion. I suspect rotational skills are lacking in my skiing but I am pretty good at traversing. wink Am hoping the Sweetspot trainer will help me get more centre balanced .

When I did a Phil Smith style course we were video'd only from the hips down - it was part of his philosophy to focus on what the feet and legs were doing, rather than anything higher up. Lots of different ways of getting there, I guess.

I have various grandchildren who will be learning for the first time, this coming Easter. They'll be instructed, but in between times, what do instructors think about those gadgets that hold their tips together? Worth using, or just get depended on? And how about the harness things? From observing people "getting it wrong" with kids, it seems the most important thing is to keep them on very easy slopes until their snowplough turning is pretty reliable.
latest report
pam w, A harness with a handle is useful for picking them up & hoiking them onto chairlifts but skiing on leashes and having an adult brake for them is not generally thought to be a good way to learn speed control AFAIK.
snow report
pam w, for the little ones, edgie wedgies can be great. Depends on the child though. Basically, if they can learn to wedge without then that's better but if they are a bit wee for their age or maybe just not that strong then they can help out. The important thing to do is not leave it on the whole time, swap about a bit so you can encourage them to go it alone. In my experience lots of kids actually don't like them, they want to be independent!! Wouldn't recommend a harness leash death trap for anything other than walking your dog NehNeh Just like fatbob says, not good for them to be relying on someone else for speed control.

I'm a bit of a hard ass when I teach kids (in a nice way!!!) I believe they need to learn to do all the tricky stuff on their own. I see so many parents skiing along holding their kids up and the kids are just complete noodles not standing up for themselves. Parents get a bad back and the kid learns nothing! So just like you said, keep them on easy slopes until their skills develop. Good things to do include playing games (tag, cat & mouse etc) on the flatter areas so they learn to get around on the skis, using the edges etc. And as long as it's always fun you're winning Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w, as a transition step you can put the edgy wedgy half on... just clip both sides to one ski tip... they still have the security of thinking you have not removed the helper... plus you can put it back on harder bits...
latest report
what heidiky, says +1
ski holidays
pam w: rotational skills are lacking from a lot of people's skiing, so having worked that out you're ahead of the game! Just make sure you're practising rotating your leg from the hip, rather than rotating the rest of you. I find the sweetspot trainer is surprisingly good for practicing this.

As to the the gadgets that hold tips together, I'd be reluctant. I suspect they're a tool to allow you to take children onto terrain that they wouldn't otherwise be comfortable on, or to ski for longer than they would otherwise be able to. Just stick to very easy terrain and they should be able to do it by themselves and will probably progress more quickly in the long run. They might be useful for a child who is just not getting it, and needs to feel the shape and effect of the snowplough to understand what they need to do, but beyond giving them that sensation and then taking them off again, I wouldn't use them myself.
snow report
Teaching a wedge turn - small gliding wedge on gentle terrain , and then point the tips of the skis in the direction you want to turn, remembering to look where you want to go. Most adult beginners get some sort of turn straight away and then I refine it, with adding in weighting the inside of the outside ski and rotating the outside heel out. Works best on the same terrain you would use for a straight run, since then there is no worrying about going too fast.
Little kids I ask to follow me as I ski backward - depending on the child they may be as close to me as between my ski tips. As an exercise I might get them to raise the inside hand, or point with the inside hand where they want to go (or where I want them to go).
I do use an edgie-wedgie as a tool with very small kids who lack the fine motor skills to make and hold a wedge, but I try to teach them to turn to a stop as soon as possible, and I stress that it is only like using training wheels on a bike - we aim to ski without it as soon as their legs have learned what they are supposed to do. In a perfect world with perfect terrain I wouldn't need it (but then I'd also get paid much more and it would only snow at night in this perfect world).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy