Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compagnie des Alpes Shareholders ski passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I just wondered if anyone has taken advantage of the Compagnie des Alpes Shareholders club ski pass offer (the company which operates a load of French ski resort lifts). Apparently as a shareholder you can annually get a pass for one of : Trois Vallées, Espace Killy,Paradiski , Le Grand Massif, Serre-Chevalier, Chamonix, or Les 2 Alpes.

Details here : http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/en/shareholders-advantages

I was totting up to see if the combination of cheap Euro and CDA's share-price being pretty low made this a worthwhile deal in pure investment terms :
e.g. 400 shares @ EU13.40 and at 1.24 Euros to the £, and based on a 6day La Plagne ski pass (EUR257) is a 4.8% annual return (on £4300 for 400 shares if my sums are right - and these are all aproximate figures!). This is better than my bank. But I need to know about taxes, fees, and any other charges if anyone has done this?

Of course I don't have £4300 lying around ... that's the next problem
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
psteer, Welcome to snowHead

Your calculation of the return is correct but you have ignored the fact that the company also pays a dividend - in 2011 this was €0.85 per share, or €340 on 400 shares. If you add this to the cost of the pass the return becomes over 11%! There is probably tax to take account of on the dividend, but it still looks attractive. You have to bear in mind that any investment in CDA by a UK resident would be subject to exchange rate movements as well as the movement in the CDA share price itself. An 11% fall in the share price would wipe out your entire return for that year.

Still an interesting idea.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Chris! Loads to look at on here (and waste time while at work)

That's a point about the dividend. Yes, I think anything like this would have to be carefully weighed up to include all the risks - exchange rate fluctuations, share price fluctuations, inability to use the free ski-pass in a year for some reason (although I think it is transferable to other family members?) but if you never needed to sell the shares and get your hands on the cash then it's probably a good long-term investment?

I just love the idea of getting a free ski pass - last year it was such a large portion of the cost of the trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
psteer, better still live in or near the resorts, Full time (defined as more than 10 months) residents of La Plagne and it's villages paid around €30 for their season passes last year!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy