Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with glasses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I have a really bad eye ulcer, diagnosed last Tuesday. I am drops every hour at the moment and it's not showing much signs of improvement , or very slow improvement. At the moment I can see only shadows in my left eye. I have been told when the ulcer clears I will have to have a cataract op. but that's a while down the road.

So my question is skiing with corrective lense glasses. I have always skied in contacts , but that is looking like its not going to happen for me this next year. Do you think it's best to try and put glasses inside your goggles or, just use your glasses with polorised protection. I have to get new ones anyway, as eye sight all over the place at the moment.

Just had to cancel a holiday I should be be on now. Which is very annoying. But eye sight is more important and all doctors keep saying is we just have to wait, driving me mad.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always been a glasses-under-goggles man.

In good weather I'd be happy to wear my prescription sunglasses on their own, if only they didn't cause stinging eyes because of the airflow round the edges of the frames. I guess if you had wraparound frames you'd be OK with just the glasses and no goggles.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm glasses under goggles too, and find it works well. Goggles that are designed with this in mind (ie. with enough space inside, and perhaps a small gap to accommodate the arm of the glasses) are typically labelled OTG (for, I presume, "over the glasses").
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski mostly just with my glasses, until recently with sunspecs that attached to them for sunny days. Presently I have sunspecs which fit over the glasses, sort of mini-goggles. I only wear real goggles when the weather is particularly bad.

I guess you have to try and find out what you find best.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gjspain, we did a season lsat year and I was worried Mr NN would struggle with his glasses/ goggles combo. The first pair bought in the UK were rubbish - the second were excellent and he had no fog ups etc - I will dig out the name of them - we just went into a shop in resort, think they were about 50euro from memory.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wearing my glasses under my goggles always seemed to cause them to steam up. (I think glasses get pushed too close to your face within goggles)

However, I found this problem greatly reduced when I started using these prescription inserts for goggles:

http://www.prescriptioninserts.com/

You can use them with your favourite goggles, and get a new insert when your prescription changes.

The goggles I have adapt to the light levels and I can use them from flat light to bright sunshine, and I now only use my prescription sunglasses when sitting on a sunny restaurant terrace!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-09-12 15:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gjspain, As kieranm says, you'll need Goggles that are specified as OTG. The secret to minimising any fogging of your spectacles worn underneath goggles is to ensure that the surface of the spectacle lens is as clean as possible - any specks of dirt, grease or thumbprint act as a nucleus for the water vapour to condense onto. There used to be a product called ClerSite (I don't think it's produced any more, but you can get similar products, which aim to make the lens surface almost chemically clean). I saw it demonstrated many years ago on a stand at a UK ski show - the seller would take a pair of spectacles treated with the product and hold it directly in a flow of steam coming from a container of boiling water, no fogging or condensation whatsoever.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 17-09-12 15:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gjspain, I've been trying to find a solution to glasses under goggles fogging for years, and the only reliable one is not overheating the rest of the body, and allowing plenty of ventilation so that heat from the chest doesn't come straight up the face and into the goggles. If you're going to opt for sunglasses instead of goggles, make sure they're the type that wrap around so that bright light off the snow doesn't come in from the sides causing eyeburn.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Mr Marmot,!

I'll make a note of those ...very useful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another glasses under goggles man. Riding without goggles just makes my eyes stream.

Used to have a lot of steam-up problems with my glasses, would temporarily relieve the problem using anti-misting cloths or (if caught without) licking the lens of the glasses...(what can I say, it works), but since switching from my old Scott goggs to Oakleys OTGs, I havn't had many of the problems with steaming up thanks to better ventilation.

My other tip is to get a pair of specs made which are smaller profile, so fit under the goggles easier - many opticians offer a two-for-one deal so take your goggles with you when trying on to make sure they don't push the glasses back into your face.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My wife and daughter both wear glasses under googles. Got a pair of Tresspass OTG goggles for the wife in end of season sale for only £15 and my daughters (6yrs) are kids googles for older age group giving slightly more space inside for her specs.

Neither have any issues with fog up as long as they are careful as per usual with moisture inside.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can increase the ventilation buy trimming out sections of the foam on the goggles with nail scissors.
More air=less fog.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have inserts from this firm if they can accommodate your prescription http://www.prescriptioninserts.com/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the past I've only worn my perscription specs with clip on sun glasses for bright days.

Last season I brought a Bolle helmet with a visor, worked a treat, no steaming up of glasses or visor.

Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Wood741 wrote:
In the past I've only worn my perscription specs with clip on sun glasses for bright days.

Last season I brought a Bolle helmet with a visor, worked a treat, no steaming up of glasses or visor.

Cool

^^^^ this

I've tried everything - and this is the best option IMO.

You do look like a space cadet though.
latest report
the prescription inserts for goggles work better than specs, IME. You only normally need distance correction, and then carry specs for reading menus, etc. Hope your eye problems get sorted out, Gjspain; sounds miserable.

What's your prescription? If you're very short-sighted I might have a pair of prescription inserts which would suit you - you'd be welcome to have them for the cost of the postage, if so.
snow report
I used http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Ski-Goggles. They sent a box with 3 pairs of goggles to try for best fit and we sent back the ones we didn't want. They supplied a prescription insert and we've had this reglazed twice and replaced once after a break. Their service has always been brilliant.

Hubby skis with these goggles when it's windy or snowy and his ordinary glasses, the type that go dark in sunlight otherwise.

Good luck with the eyes.
snow report
i ski with a pair of polariod wrap prescription sunglasses which are perfect for skiing and cycling. They were less than 1/3rd of the cost of a pair of Oakleys.

On days with snow or really flat light, OTG goggles and my normal glasses work just fine.

I had no choice....took me 45 mins to get one contact lense in LOL I gave up. NehNeh
snow conditions
Fifespud wrote:
Chris Wood741 wrote:

Cool

^^^^ this

I've tried everything - and this is the best option IMO.

You do look like a space cadet though.

Makes me look like some thing from Top Gun, but who cares, the fashion police?

Cool
latest report
Day to day I wear varifocals for close, intermediate and distance vision but I too found that they steamed up under OTG Goggles.

As I don't need to 'read a registration plate at 25 metres' and as long as I have a ski buddy to read the piste map, I ski in ordinary goggles.

Since I stopped wearing glasses I now ski bumps better because I can't see them and have ski by 'feel'.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy