Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mini bus trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, thats the accomodation booked for half term Very Happy .
Now for getting there.
We had a mad idea last night of hiring a mini bus to take 11 of us to Morzine in February Puzzled
Has anyone got experience of trying this or recommendations for reliable hire companies?
Are there any things we need to look out for or pitfalls to avoid?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check that your licence allows the driving of a vehicle with more than 9 seats in France. When I last did it I needed a wayleave for my UK licence. Also check that the minibus has a tachometer. Good luck, especially for the passengers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IF you can find a minibus rental that allows European travel dont forget you will need to buy snowchains for it (you'll need to know the tyre sizes), a big enough bus to take 11 in comfort AND all their luggage.
Dont forget to cost in the Peage tolls, a large minibus costs more than a car.
It must be doable, as we often pass UK minibuses chugging along at 60mph, presumably they are speed limited?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both.
Quote:

Good luck, especially for the passengers

I think we're hoping to start the party early Very Happy
Quote:

big enough bus

We're looking at 15 or 17 seater, same price, as most of have our own boards or skis.
Any idea how much extra for the peage.
Chugging through the night stopping only to change drivers so we''ll still be there for lunch.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Erm, why not just get someone else to do the driving? http://www.skiweekends.com/ - I can't imagine hiring a bus, insuring it for the trip through France with breakdown cover, finding the snow chains you'll need, fuel for a big heavy lump, tolls, uncomfortable seats, seems like a big hassle method for very little saving. This way the drivers get to have a beer too, and you are on the slopes in the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
robapplegate, Peage is €154.50 from Calais to Albertville for cars. Looking at the charges it depends on axles and seating capacity for minibuses.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For anything over 9 seats you will need to get involved with the whole taco-graph thing. Beware.

We did it one year - 8 of us, the heater broke. The boys took the wrong turn and we ended up in the Jura, the outdoor toilets were warmer than our van. We had to de-ice the inside of the van as we drove and the "heaters" were blowing out cold air and couldn't be turned off. Those in the front had to wear full ski wear. Harrowing.

We fly now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

we''ll still be there for lunch

possibly, but at half term anything can happen..... family members who drove down to my apartment at half term, the last two years, had difficult journeys. first time (minibus with another family) they were held up for 3 hours at Eurotunnel so the planned arrival in France, before midnight, became a 3 am arrival, and the planned early drive up a relatively quiet road to resort became a slow 3 hour crawl.

second time, in their own car, it was so snowy they had chains on all the way from Sallanches....

And if it did all go smoothly according to plan, would you get access to your accommodation at lunch time?

(cheerful lot, aren't we?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Laughing Alternatively we leave on the Friday at 5 am and ave a trouble free journey arriving in resort at 6pm. (In a car)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We did this in Febuary though to Morgins and there were only 7 of us. We're pretty sure even with the hire and peage costs it was good value especially as we had the use of the bus during the week. Also it was fun, no really. Two of us shared the driving and the journey was part of the experience. We had snow chains on board but didn't use them. I think they went back to halfords.

We used a local, Dartford, hire firm having told them our plans.

Sorry I can't give you exact costings as I find thinking about how much skiing costs takes some of the fun out of it.

I also went with skiweekends to Morzine last season and I'm already booked again for the 1st Jan. Can't recommend them enough, great value.

You've already got accommodation but maybe the coach isn't such bad idea, there are a couple of companies offering this e.g:

http://www.snowexpress.co.uk/resort-morzine.php
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Cheerful indeed Laughing most of the same can (and has/does) happen in a car, I well remember friends stacked in with lorries near Calais for 12 hours.
Boredsurfing, If I could leave at 5 am on friday I wouldn't be going at half term Sad one of the downsides of being a teacher, still it's what means I can afford to go in the first place so musn't grumble too much.
If any one else has any cheerful tales or comments let me know, I'm starting to favour the two car and stuff a couple on a plane option we originally had.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

most of the same can (and has/does) happen in a car

yes, absolutely. That wasn't so much a comment on minibuses, as a comment on your conviction you'd be there by lunchtime. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Laughing
We have driven every year since time began and 9 times out of 10 have no problems.
We normally make Austria by mid afternoon and Morzine is considerably closer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, not sure how snowweekends helps as we've already booked accomodation and it only seems to sell package holidays.
Snow Hound, Thanks for the ray of sunshine, as long as no one starts a sing song I'll be ok. Unfortunately snowexpress hasn't got times and prices published and as I said we may opt back to flying a couple of people over in which case the sooner flights are booked the cheaper they are.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We did it one year - 8 of us, the heater broke. The boys took the wrong turn and we ended up in the Jura, the outdoor toilets were warmer than our van. We had to de-ice the inside of the van as we drove and the "heaters" were blowing out cold air and couldn't be turned off. Those in the front had to wear full ski wear. Harrowing.

Sounds like some trips we did by coach. In fact I cannot recall a coach trip where something similar didn't happen. But we still enjoyed it.

As an aside one year we decided to hire a 7 seater car from Geneva. It turned out it was more expensive than 2 4 seaters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy