Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Documentary Series on the Alps on Arte TV Channel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Franco-German Arte satellite TV station is currently showing an excellent 15 part documentary series on the Alps, covering from Slovenia in the East to France in the West. The series is entitled "Die Alpen von oben" (the Alps from above) and on satellite is available from the Astra 1 position at 19 deg E (not the same as the UK Sky satellite position which is Astra 2 at 28 deg E) in French or German. It covers the landscape and has features on some of the inhabitants such as farmers, people working in mountain restaurants and huts, cable car maintenance, the head of conservation at Neuschwanstein Castle etc. The good news for those of you who wish to see it is that it is also currently available on the Arte "catchup" website here

Even if your German is a bit rusty (or non-existent! Laughing ) the pictures are quite nice to see. Madeye-Smiley

P.S If your French is better I believe you can select that instead...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-09-12 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just saw the trailer on Youtube - fantastic!

http://youtube.com/v/aKud_ulNPjA&feature=channel&list=UL
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink, thanks for that - I'll catch up with the website. It's the sort of programme I can deal with in French, because it doesn't matter if you miss a bit (unlike a film with a dense plot, which is quite beyond me). I often watch the Arte programmes when I'm out in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink, the 4th episode covers my backyard! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at the website link I posted, the bad news is that the earlier episodes only seem to be viewable as short 3 minute trailer/highlights of each programme (edit: actually I think it's just the first 3 minutes of the programme rather than highlights) - only those marked as ARTE +7 are the full 43 minute long versions. I guess the full episodes are only available for up to 7 days after transmission, so view the full ARTE +7 versions now whilst you can!

Edit: Damn - it looks like the full versions won't play on my UK ISP address - get a message "Unfortunately we do not own the rights to stream this video in your country. Thank You for your understanding." So unless you know how to get around these limitations (proxy server?) then it looks like if you're UK based you're restricted to just viewing the short 3 minute start of each programme. Sad

Well at least I've been able to watch them on satellite, but that's not much help for most of you.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 16-09-12 14:27; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks stunning. They should do something similar for the Dolomites.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep it is a 7 day thing, I can't get any more than the three minute trailer for the one about my area, the Chiemgau but I can watch last week's ones in full.

The is a free proxy that a lot of us (ex-pats) use to watch British TV called ExPat Shield. It's loaded with advert banners (which you can switch off) but it continues to load banners even after you have disconnected. I always disconnect and then reboot my computer to carry on. The other service I use in called FilmOn for UK TV stations but it is not a catch-up service yet!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 16-09-12 14:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Looking at the Arte satellite TV schedule, programmes 1 to 5 are being shown, one each day, starting at 13:25 Central European Time on Monday, so you should be able to watch programme 4 in full this coming Thursday 20th Sep (assuming you receive Arte which I expect you do as it's free-to-air). Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 16-09-12 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, Thanks for that I'll play catch up next weekend. Can't watch it live so to speak as I'm at work at that broadcast time Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see you can purchase the DVD here:
http://www.amazon.de/Die-Alpen-von-oben-Nordalpen/dp/B0089VJF2G?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Can't watch it live so to speak as I'm at work at that broadcast time Sad

Retirement is a great invention Happy

Thanks for the tip.

Arte is showing all 15 episodes next week (a bit too much of a good thing, I feel), the episodes of the second series, the South Alps, at 18:25, and the French Alps each day at 19:30.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy